Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnnativeLI View Post
Is it common to just get hired on to a union shop like that without knowing someone? I have 11 years in residential/commercial.
I don't know how common it is, but I did it. We moved up from NC a couple of years ago, and I didn't know anyone here. When I decided to get back into the field, I applied to a shop who was advertising an opening, and initiated into the union a couple of days after they hired me.

Look on the usual websites; if they're a union shop, they'll usually say so in the listing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Is it common to just get hired on to a union shop like that without knowing someone? I have 11 years in residential/commercial.
What is a common salary for a tradesman of your caliber in NC?

Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
Quote:
That's great to hear!! Did you buy at a good time? Is your mortgage over 2000/mo?? I'd like to buy in a few years and I'm curious. Thanks in advance
I bought 4-5 years ago but it was a very small home. You wouldn't be able to live 6 in it. My mortgage started in the 1300s. Market is higher now, but really not that much. I still see a lot of small homes in the 300 or lower range a little south of me. I was paying 17 or 1800 in rent for a 700sq ft apt. So a small house of the same size and pay less was an easy decision for us (+ we get 700sq ft of basement).

I agree its always best to rent first but your situation is different. You know the area, grew up here and all your family is here. LI rental prices are so ridiculously high. Don't lock yourself into a long lease, and if the right house is there, buy it.

I don't know your area well, but an old friend of mine lives in Bayshore. And he's raising the sweetest and smartest teenage girl over there. Parenting skills will always trump school district.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:19 PM

13 posts, read 11,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My friends who are living in the $100K and under range bought their houses 15-20 years ago and no longer have young children.

I would stick with Islip 11751 -- Islip School district -- but there aren't many homes there in your price range. 11706 in your price range has some homes in Brentwood schools -- given the gang issues that Brentwood has had, you might want to avoid the district for the time being.

You might want to look into Islip Terrace 11752 as there are some homes available and you would have access to East Islip schools.
Yeah islip seems like a good choice for sure and it's close to my wife's family as well!

Old 06-03-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I bought 4-5 years ago but it was a very small home. You wouldn't be able to live 6 in it. My mortgage started in the 1300s. Market is higher now, but really not that much. I still see a lot of small homes in the 300 or lower range a little south of me. I was paying 17 or 1800 in rent for a 700sq ft apt. So a small house of the same size and pay less was an easy decision for us (+ we get 700sq ft of basement).

I agree its always best to rent first but your situation is different. You know the area, grew up here and all your family is here. LI rental prices are so ridiculously high. Don't lock yourself into a long lease, and if the right house is there, buy it.

I don't know your area well, but an old friend of mine lives in Bayshore. And he's raising the sweetest and smartest teenage girl over there. Parenting skills will always trump school district.
Salary in NC is about 40-55k for my trade. Thank you for all the info! We don't plan to rent too long we'll just have to see how it goes. Parts of bay shore are actually islip schools isn't it?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I don't know how common it is, but I did it. We moved up from NC a couple of years ago, and I didn't know anyone here. When I decided to get back into the field, I applied to a shop who was advertising an opening, and initiated into the union a couple of days after they hired me.

Look on the usual websites; if they're a union shop, they'll usually say so in the listing.
Awesome! Will do thanks for the info.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Salary in NC is about 40-55k for my trade. Thank you for all the info! We don't plan to rent too long we'll just have to see how it goes. Parts of bay shore are actually islip schools isn't it?
Most of Bay Shore properties are either in the Bay Shore or Brentwood SDs. A relatively small area is part of either the Islip or West Islip SDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island