Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 30,658 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Upland, California and moved out to Fargo with my exhusband about 4 years ago and have since been divorced. I share an apartment with my boyfriend of 2 and a half years and am a mechanical engineering student at North Dakota State. My boyfriend doesn't have much family here at all, and actually got let go from his job as a database developer last October. He hasn't had any luck finding a new job, and is becoming very frustrated with his job search. I work as a cosmetologist in a spa (the money is great in the summer, but terrible in the off season, and it's about an hour commute) and go to school full time. My dad offered to let us stay in his empty rental home in Upland, CA for a while so that we can get settled, find work and look for a place of our own. So, we're planning on moving in May after finals are over. My boyfriend has met my dad and they get along great, but he has never been to Cali before and isn't too excited about living under my dad's roof (even though my dad doesn't actually live there). I have some savings to invest in a modest starter home and plan on transfering to Cal Poly Pomona and get my cosmo license too so that I can work.

Here's the issue: My boyfriend is really nervous about the jobs there. His main concern is that he won't be able to find a good job and won't be able to afford to live in Cali. He's been in ND his whole life and the cost of living here is very low. I feel confident that there is work there for him, but what do you guys think? I want to make sure that I'm not setting him up for failure because of my desire to move back to the sunshine. I think he would love being there if he can find a job that he is happy with. He's been searching for jobs out there but he's becoming frustrated with all the spam jobs on the internet (work from home stuff) and I'm not much help because I don't know his industry very well.

He's so nervous, and for good reason! SoCal is very different from anything he knows. Sorry I went on so much about it... lol it's a complicated thing (in my head). Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 28,566 times
I left California for the same reasons your boyfriend is concerned with. No jobs, high rent, crime, and high taxes.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM

30 posts, read 183,972 times
I understand your bf's hesitancy to leave the only state he's ever known, but quite frankly, there are WAAYYY more job opportunities for him in LA than in North Dakota. As far as the cost of living increase, the only things that are really more expensive are housing and auto insurance. With your dad's generous offer of temporary free housing, this is really a no-brainer. Make the move and see if you guys can make it work. If not, North Dakota will still be there. That's my 2 cents.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 30,658 times
Default Thanks!

I personally never had any trouble at all finding work for myself so cal, but I haven't been there for a few years. I know the job market is bad everywhere, but there's so many more opportunities in so cal I guess it doesn't seem as bad if you are an ambitious person. Fargo just doesn't have enough options... it's like most people that make money here are in the medical field, business manager types, and then of course there's the farmers. So, even though it seems I got one Pro reply and one Anti, thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:10 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
The job market was much better a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabells View Post
I personally never had any trouble at all finding work for myself so cal, but I haven't been there for a few years. I know the job market is bad everywhere, but there's so many more opportunities in so cal I guess it doesn't seem as bad if you are an ambitious person. Fargo just doesn't have enough options... it's like most people that make money here are in the medical field, business manager types, and then of course there's the farmers. So, even though it seems I got one Pro reply and one Anti, thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties