Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Yep. And I bet it went for above or at full ask. Bet you got several full ask offers after one 2 hour open house.

This is why I'm waiting it out.
This is exactly what happened to me in western Nassau. 20 offers in six days, and an open house that got about 200 visitors and several offers that day. I think I hit a timing sweet spot and got lucky. On my end, I poured practically endless time, work and money into improving the condition of this place.

We're in contract for well over asking and I'm hoping for a smooth, uncomplicated closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Due to a home owner's ability to refinance and grieve their taxes, I don't think taxes and rates should be as big a motivating factor as some people advise.
Not sure if srs. Taxes run upwards of $10K on cheap houses around here, making the tax bill a kind of second mortgage. Grieving only gets you so far, and it's only an illusion of savings.

You can grieve and grieve, but there's still high salaries, lucrative benefits, billions in pension obligations and the consequences of corruption and waste that taxpayers have to cover. This problem only gets worse, and you're on the hook permanently as long as you live here.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 PM

418 posts, read 367,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
False thinking, regardless of what you think, there is a big difference in the amount you owe when rates go up several percentage points. The rate sets your mortgage, refi'ing requires dollars all over again and there is no guarantee that if you grieve your taxes you will get a reduction.

So it's better to buy a $525K house at 600K because interest rates are low and you *might not* be able to refinance at a more favorable rate?

No.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:16 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
People mention interest rates affecting decisions. When my parents moved here in the 80s, the interest rates were as high as 12%. Yet now we're down at 3-4% and the population is still the same. If not for the limited land factor, it would certainly be much higher. People are going to buy here regardless of rates. Home prices went up, so did salaries.
It's not the limited land that keeps population the same it's the lack of dense building. Your parents probably paid 80k for the house and 12% interest rate on such a low mortgage is way different than borrowing 350k. You are right though, people will always buy on LI.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
So it's better to buy a $525K house at 600K because interest rates are low and you *might not* be able to refinance at a more favorable rate?

No.
If rates reached double digits and remained for an extended period of time, only cash buyers would be safe.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
Agree with you on the type of houses in Queens. Problem with nassau vs queens is that the taxes are much higher, which is limiting the price appreciation vs NYC where property taxes are very low.
Depends on how much money you make and what part of queens you are in. City income tax is a killer for many. Also not unheard of for the better homes in nicer neighborhoods to have taxes near 8-10k

Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Mid Suffolk is a different story. Sorry, should've specified. I'm referring to Nassau County through Huntington/Farmingdale/Dix Hills/Melville. Once you get to Northport and east-ward, it begins to change. While I haven't looked out there, I have no trouble believing what you're saying about houses at 2006 prices on the market for 90 days. It's not a buyer's market til inventory is on the shelves for 6+ months, but you're right in that those conditions would indicate a more neutral market than what buyers are encountering in the more (NYC) commutable/accessible communities.
That’s what I thought. In essence, 1 hour or less train commutes to the city.

And to be clear, these are houses selling at 10-20% BELOW the 2006 high, which is fairly priced.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 PM

418 posts, read 367,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This is exactly what happened to me in western Nassau. 20 offers in six days, and an open house that got about 200 visitors and several offers that day. I think I hit a timing sweet spot and got lucky. On my end, I poured practically endless time, work and money into improving the condition of this place.

We're in contract for well over asking and I'm hoping for a smooth, uncomplicated closing.
Yep, congrats! That's good for you, right? This is exactly the seller's story all over Nassau, western Suffolk and Westchester County right now. Personally I think any buyer is a buffoon for reasons I've already stated above is this thread.

So how did you handle the slew of bids that came in? Did you counter with requests to increase their bids above asking due to over saturation of interest? Did they just blindly offer well above ask to ensure they got it, or did you give guidelines? Just curious about the bidding process when several worthy offers come in. I know the end result is a buyer paying above ask, which isn't good for the buyer, the bank, or the market.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, congrats! That's good for you, right? This is exactly the seller's story all over Nassau, western Suffolk and Westchester County right now. Personally I think any buyer is a buffoon for reasons I've already stated above is this thread.

So how did you handle the slew of bids that came in? Did you counter with requests to increase their bids above asking due to over saturation of interest? Did they just blindly offer well above ask to ensure they got it, or did you give guidelines? Just curious about the bidding process when several worthy offers come in. I know the end result is a buyer paying above ask, which isn't good for the buyer, the bank, or the market.
The buyer is a highly educated person and he isn't a buffoon. He's getting a nicely updated house that I'm told he loves. A lot of them pour in from Queens and Brooklyn looking for more room and a housing upgrade. He did the math and figured out it's cheaper to buy this house than rent an apt. for over $2K a month, while building equity. I'm not selling him junk, and getting paid back for the tons of sweat equity I poured into this house.

After I got a bunch of offers, my agent and I went through them and we picked one based on their financials and bid price. This was the highest bid, but not every bid is high quality so you have to assess who's the better buyer.

Once multiple offers are in, buyers are asked to resubmit their final and best offer.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 8,942 times
We bought a home 10 years ago and can not even get back what we paid. I think it must depend on money invested after the purchase and location of the home. We put 20% down on purchase. We added central air conditioning and renovated the lower level of our split level. We would lose money if we sold it now. There are so many foreclosures that investors keep buying and renovating. Adding brand new kitchens, baths and siding and flipping them. No chance for anyone who didn't completely renovate their modest home to sell and come out even in our area. We are in mid Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island