Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 AM

40 posts, read 42,738 times

Advertisements

I have a high efficiency Navien. WHEN ITS WORKING CORRECTLY, its great and very cheap to operate. And they save space and are dead quiet.

HOWEVER...they are complex to install and configure properly. You need a plumber and HVAC guy who definitely knows what they are doing in terms of installation and setting it up so that it runs efficiently. Most plumbers set them up, crank the heating water for your baseboard or forced air coils up to 180 and walk away which basically negates all the benefits of the units.

Bottom line, I like my unit and like the technology. However, it takes time and effort to get them running right and they arent the most durable. Lots of parts and electronics in that little white box. If I get 15 years out of it I'll be thrilled. And when I go to my parents house and see their 20 year old simple oil burner and furnace cranking away without a problem and looking like its got another 20 years left in it, I envy the worry-free simplicity they enjoy.

So..if you want to have the most efficient and advanced equipment, and youre willing to spend the time getting it and keeping it running over 90% efficiency, go for it. Youll like it. But if you want to "set it and forget it" and don't mind paying a little price in terms of your overall energy spend, go for a "standard" gas or even new oil furnace/boiler.

Last edited by rkfast; 11-08-2017 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I love the "expert" opinions here. How is a high efficiency bolier less efficient on Long island? This makes no sense. If installed properly, it will save $. It takes up less space, and for $900 more than a regular model, I would jump on it.
You have to look at the severity of the average winter and the cost for the fuel. If there are not enough days that would be considered heating days/extreme heating day then your average usage takes about 10+ years to recoup the additional expense you laid out for the upgrade. Many people assume that high efficiency means lower bills but you have to look at how you use it, is the home well insulated, windows, overall age. If your home is an inefficient shell then you will never reap any real benefit from a HE boiler.

I don't know about the boilers but I have been told for the Gas Furnaces that the 90+ models are more prone to problems then the traditional 82-85% ones. I recently replaced my gas furnace and asked about an HE model my guy said that the lack of insulation and the low cost of natural gas (where I live) its not worth the expense, this wasn't the first time I heard it.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You have to look at the severity of the average winter and the cost for the fuel. If there are not enough days that would be considered heating days/extreme heating day then your average usage takes about 10+ years to recoup the additional expense you laid out for the upgrade. Many people assume that high efficiency means lower bills but you have to look at how you use it, is the home well insulated, windows, overall age. If your home is an inefficient shell then you will never reap any real benefit from a HE boiler.

I don't know about the boilers but I have been told for the Gas Furnaces that the 90+ models are more prone to problems then the traditional 82-85% ones. I recently replaced my gas furnace and asked about an HE model my guy said that the lack of insulation and the low cost of natural gas (where I live) its not worth the expense, this wasn't the first time I heard it.
Those comments are from old school plumbers that are living in the past. An old inefficient home, would actually benefit more from a he boiler. And as far as some saying about the he boiler being more $? Usually it's a wash, because no new liner is needed in the old existing hole in the roof....err, I mean chimney. Let's think about an old school boiler. It doesn't just run at lower efficiency, it sucks all that toasty air from your house, and spits it out the chimney. An he boiler, uses outside air...that in itself is BIG.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
/\

Well my heating/air guy is far younger then me so I won't accuse him of being old school. It's like buying a hybrid car, if you only get 10 miles more per gallon you have to ask is it really worth the extra $1500 expense same with HE appliances. The combustion air used by an appliance in the garage/basement/utility room seems a mute point but ones personal choice should be followed after all its your money. For me my gas bill is cheap so saving $5-10 dollars a month on gas is not worth the extra expense...

Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Those comments are from old school plumbers that are living in the past. An old inefficient home, would actually benefit more from a he boiler. And as far as some saying about the he boiler being more $? Usually it's a wash, because no new liner is needed in the old existing hole in the roof....err, I mean chimney. Let's think about an old school boiler. It doesn't just run at lower efficiency, it sucks all that toasty air from your house, and spits it out the chimney. An he boiler, uses outside air...that in itself is BIG.
Actually the opposite is true. Older homes benefit less for a HE boiler.

Good point about make up air. However, automatic dampers mitigate this loss so you are only losing conditioned air when the boiler is operating. The benefit is that it is ventilating the house a bit.

We live in a moderate climate. We are around 136 heating days per year. HE boilers make more sense if your home is further North. Much more heating days.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM

^ I am done arguing my point. I know personally, I am saving Hundreds a year. Modcons need to be adjusted properly to the home and location they are used. Most Plumbers just install it and leave, negating any benefits of a he boiler. Reliability on the other hand??? That's to be debated, but the newer units are definitely better.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
I put a Veissmann modcon in my own home, a 155 year old farmhouse. I installed radiant floor heat throughout, and these are extremely efficient with that type of heating.
Now the manufacturer does recommend a cleaning every year or two, but it's been 7 years and I havent laid a finger on it yet. No issues so far.

(I hope I didnt just jinx myself)

Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
I put a Veissmann modcon in my own home, a 155 year old farmhouse. I installed radiant floor heat throughout, and these are extremely efficient with that type of heating.
Now the manufacturer does recommend a cleaning every year or two, but it's been 7 years and I havent laid a finger on it yet. No issues so far.

Yikes! I would flush that heat exchanger immediately. It's pretty simple.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
Quote:
Yikes! I would flush that heat exchanger immediately. It's pretty simple.
Meh... I'd have to clean out the basement to get over to it...

Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post

Ahhhh....... radiant is absolutely the way to go! Expensive to install but its worth it if you have the coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: