Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
PTK PTK started this thread

45 posts, read 153,326 times

Advertisements

My husband and 15 month old Son are going to be relocating. We where researching and found that parts of NC have what we are looking for. We are looking to rent an apartment first (then buy a house), a 3 bedroom for around $600-$800 a month. We do not want to move where there are tornadoes, or major snow storms, and we want to live more inland not right on the cost. We are looking for good schools, low crime rate, a small town. My husband has a Certificate and Associates in Computer Networking/IT. I have, a Bachelors in Business Administration/Management.
If any of you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 01:23 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,198 times
Hi, my husband and i were going to relocate to NC. Unfortunatly, because of a slow market and a slug of a real estate agent my house did not sell. However, in my research of schools, I was told that the schools in Wake County were tops. You can look up any different school district on School matter.com and it will tell you the test scores for the standardized testing. good luck!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM

I think that Re max (I am not sure if it is that restate), will buy your house from you if they do not get a buyer in a certain amount of time.
Thank you so much
I will take a look at that web site.
Thanks again

Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,538 times
Since, I'm moving there in April I can tell you that its a great choice. Here's a great website listing NC as a top choice: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/ Also, it give various breakdown of the city. Raleigh and Cary are high up on the list. Newsweek have a breakdown of the top schools in the US:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535986/site/newsweek/ (broken link) You will find a lot of schools in the Wake area listed. Good Luck!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM

Thank you so much, that is a great website. We hope to be leaving in April too.
Thanks again

Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
spare me..... you can post this in the NC forum. I moved to NC from NY 12 years ago and now I'm ready to go back to NY. NC is nice, but it's overrated.... and Wake County schools are a MESS!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:21 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times
I honestly do not know how Cary gets on that list. If you like bad schools, overcrowding, lots of traffic, bad drivers and high prices, Cary is for you.

I just warn people who think that some form of Utopia exists in NC. Please take some time and visit down here for at least a week as it is changing so rapidly. I have found that my stress levels have risen so dramatically since moving to the Cary area. Urban sprawl has now completely taken over and they just keep building more and more and frankly, the infrastructure cannot handle it.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 AM

254 posts, read 1,058,142 times
I wouldn't go by that *best schools list* We live in Charlotte (and can't wait to get out of here..we are originally from Rochester NY then CT) One of the top rated high schools here is AWFUL..there is no way in a million years I would send my kids there..gangs, police tazering, arresting etc... Schools here are VERY overcrowded (many have upwards of 40 trailers on the school lot) and the school system is a mess. I know NC sounds like "paradise" to everyone (hence why so many people are moving here) but it isn't. The only real thing you will find cheaper here is housing and taxes. I would pay higher taxes for better schools in a heartbeat. Most everything else is more $$ (groceries, health insurance etc...) The only thing around me is strip malls and housing developments..it is very "vanilla".

You may want to come down for a few visits first before you settle on an area

Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Oh we plan to visit to make sure. when we do visit we are going to look at everything (food Stores Schools etc..).

Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Since, I'm moving there in April I can tell you that its a great choice. Here's a great website listing NC as a top choice: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/ Also, it give various breakdown of the city. Raleigh and Cary are high up on the list. Newsweek have a breakdown of the top schools in the US:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535986/site/newsweek/ (broken link) You will find a lot of schools in the Wake area listed. Good Luck!
That newsweek article was very misleading. The Tampa schools they listed were actually extremely low rated in Florida's own ranking system. Its graduation rate was below normal. The only thing beneficial was the fact that a some of these kids were able to take AP courses, which just about any high school will offer. I don't know if this misinformation was also applicable to the Carolina schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island