Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM

24 posts, read 109,286 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me their honest opinion?

I know Hempstead has had its problems with gangs and crime. From what I understand, Uniondale is not as bad, but it still has problems.

Would anyone here say that Uniondale, though not as notoriously violent as Hempstead, is a relatively high-crime area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
I beleive that Hempstead is more africian american and uniondale is more latin....if it matters.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencat95 View Post
Can someone give me their honest opinion?

I know Hempstead has had its problems with gangs and crime. From what I understand, Uniondale is not as bad, but it still has problems.

Would anyone here say that Uniondale, though not as notoriously violent as Hempstead, is a relatively high-crime area?
I'm not sure what Latin vs. Black has to do with it, but no Uniondale is not a high crime area as far as I know. There were two well publicized murders in Uniondale last summer, but I don't believe that to be the norm, just two isolated incidents. It's one of (I think) the last "white flight" areas, why this happened I'm not sure, but it did happen fairly recently, like within the last 15-20 years. It's still mostly middle class, and not a dump....the schools have inexplicable problems and were caught up in a scandal last year that involved fudging test scores, with all the money they get from Roosevelt Field/Source Mall they should be one of the best districts on LI.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
Most of Hempstead is a Barrio now. Heavily populated with illegal aliens and gangs. Unless you'd like to live in Mexico I'd avoid it, same goes for Uniondale.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Uniondale has had a few incidents from time to time, but crime really isn't much of a problem. Pretty much a middle class area, incomes are a bit lower in Uniondale than the county as a whole, but larger than Hempstead.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Hempstead

For those who may not be familiar with Hempstead:

Hempstead is a village (incorporated in 1853) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Hempstead in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Garden City and the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of East Garden City and the Hamlet of Uniondale; on the south by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of South Hempstead; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Hempstead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Hempstead-village-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of Hempstead has a different border than does the "Hempstead, NY 11550" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address and not be in the Village of Hempstead): places that have a "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address that are not in the Village of Hempstead are in the Hamlet of East Garden City and the Hamlet of South Hempstead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Uniondale

For those who may not be familiar with Uniondale:

Uniondale is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Uniondale in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of North Merrick; on the south by the Hamlet of Roosevelt and the Hamlet of Baldwin; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead.

The Hamlet of Uniondale has a different border than does the "Uniondale, NY 11553" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Uniondale): places that have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Uniondale are mostly in the Hamlet of East Garden City.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM

4 posts, read 31,942 times
as far as schools go uniondale is definitely better. parts of hempstead village are in pretty bad shape, but uniondale is actually very nice. population is mainly african american, but latinos are definitely on the rise. for the most part everyone takes care of their homes, they are not cheap here..the problem is uniondale borders hempstead, roosevelt and east meadow. roosevelt and hempstead definitely have some issues, but some real nice areas as-well. either way the schools in uniondale are a litttle better, as far as graduation percentages. also, uniondale is home to the nassau coliseum, hofstra university, the city bank building a number of museums and nassau comm. college, all of these factors keep uniondale in check. i am biased i've been here 30 years and the truth is although the demographic has changed over the years, it is still a very safe neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmic73 View Post
... uniondale is home to the nassau coliseum, hofstra university ... a number of museums and nassau comm. college ...

While several of these places have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address they are not in the Hamlet of Uniondale.

According to the Nassau Planning Commission, the Hamlet of Uniondale (1,654 acres) has a different border than the "Uniondale, NY 11553" ZIP Code postal zone (2,073 acres), and while there are places, such as the Coliseum that have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address, these places are actually in the Hamlet of East Garden City: most of the places that have a "Uniondale, NY 11553" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Uniondale are mostly in the Hamlet of East Garden City.

For the correct borders of the Hamlet of Uniondale see the map of the Hamlet of Uniondale in comment 7 above.

jasmic73, http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Most of Hempstead is a Barrio now. Heavily populated with illegal aliens and gangs. Unless you'd like to live in Mexico I'd avoid it, same goes for Uniondale.

how do you know mexicans live in hempstead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island