Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:54 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
That’s wild, wonder what one of those costs. Maybe something people in the northeast should consider.
They've been around forever.
They cost a couple bucks(no pun).
And they're totally ineffective and useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They've been around forever.
They cost a couple bucks(no pun).
And they're totally ineffective and useless.
Same as those electronic pest repellents. I had a big rat coming around that seemed to like it. But the Rat Zapper Ultra fixed that problem.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:50 AM

66 posts, read 98,800 times
Suffolk County past Huntington is like another State, a more southernly state. Very conservative politically and there is high crime/gangs in Brentwood. Miller Place makes the new a lot also.

If you reasoning for living on LI is to be near family, there are nice offerings in and around Long Beach, Merrick, Rockville Centre. All close to Long Island Rail road. Many hospital and private doctor offices for your wife who is a nurse.

Best bet is to get the services of a few Realtors in the top agencies. Most of the more luxury coops/condos/rentals go through them anyway for sales. For what you want, you will likely get a one bedroom or Jr. 4.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM

Really gotta be east of 112, some will argue east of the William Floyd..
Then it becomes like a different place.
It becomes rural, at least by LI standards.
The Hamptons still have a rural feel but are a total horror show due to the tourists and traffic.
There are pockets of Twilight Zone along the north shore like Asharoken, Eatons Neck, etc...

Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
The fact remains that LI is a hotspot for Lyme disease and our growing population of and over abundance of deer, albeit mostly concentrated in Suffolk, are exacerbating the problems that come with overdevelopment. In terms of scale, the Island can’t compare to semi-rural Orange County and likely never will in terms of deer population and incidents, you’re right. We’re an isolated Island in the midst of a metropolis. Orange County abuts unadulterated wilderness. Apples and oranges. Your article proves my point, as suburban sprawl into deer territory attracts and cultivates deer populations since they can thrive in areas with human food, gardens, and no hunting. And lack of hunting isn’t the problem, your article points to the fact that over 220,000 deer per year are harvested by hunters. Hunting in suburbia isn’t the solution either. Avoiding overdevelopment and not treating deer like they’re your pets and feeding them or enabling them to eat from your yard is.
Great points.

Deer are a problem on Long Island. Ticks are a big problem on LI. Deer do add to the tick problem but are only part of that issue.

Deer on Long Island are a worse problem than upstate. Deer are responsible for millions of dollars in crop damage for east end farmers. Upstate, farmers can get and exercise a nuisance permit more easily.

Hunting is a big factor in the LI deer population explosion because there are so many restrictions on LI. Limited areas to hunt, groups campaigning against hunting, no rifles, etc. The density of population also causes the proximity discharge rules to further limit hunting areas. Many deer live and nest in areas where hunting is prohibited. Most hunters who live on LI travel upstate to hunt.

Then there are the people who feed deer (which is illegal in NYS). This causes problems beyond overpopulation.

Sure, you see a lot of deer north of Westchester. Regardless of what you might "see," overpopulation is more of a problem on LI. They are even moving west. There are now some does and fawns living in Bethpage State Park.

DEC is responsible for managing the deer population. Most think they do a fairly good job. Judging by the number of licenses sold and the scarcity of DMPs in many counties, available hunters is not an issue. The problem on Long Island is that DECs hands are tied.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 AM

Deer have been reported well into the north shore of Nassau.
I think the human population is much more of a nuisance than deer.
Actually, that's a fact.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Deer have been reported well into the north shore of Nassau.
I think the human population is much more of a nuisance than deer.
Actually, that's a fact.
I actually has a red fox on my front lawn 2 years ago.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I actually has a red fox on my front lawn 2 years ago.
Fox making a comeback.
I see them every night on Ocean Parkway on my way home from work. That area is loaded with rabbits so they have plenty of food. I have also seen them on my property a few times.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Fox making a comeback.
I see them every night on Ocean Parkway on my way home from work. That area is loaded with rabbits so they have plenty of food. I have also seen them on my property a few times.
You're probably seeing the infamous "fox" family based in Robert Moses Park. Rangers have given each member a name.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You're probably seeing the infamous "fox" family based in Robert Moses Park. Rangers have given each member a name.
It's possible I guess.
I did see one at the needle right in front of Jones Beach, right where it loops past and continues to head east on Ocean Parkway. It was right there by the road. Pretty much in front of the main area.
Probably around 1 or 2AM last winter.

Most of the other ones have been further east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island