Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times

Advertisements

A small mistake shows you how f'd up the system is.

Been a homeowner for 35 years. Multiple properties in Nassau, Suffolk, and other counties in New York. Have religiously paid my taxes on time. Every year, twice a year, in full. It makes me cringe paying these outrageous fees and getting a bloated corrupt bureaucracy with no benefit in return (but that's another story). I still do it.

2018 - 2nd half taxes due Thursday, May 31. Yeah, we screwed up. Didn't realize until the weekend that the check wasn't mailed. No problem, we figure. Stop in on Monday morning and pay in person. How bad can it be for two business days late?

Holy crap - it's BAD. These bloodsuckers have been watching too many mafia movies.

First, they hit you with a 5% penalty (VIG). That's $500. Of course, now that you are "late" they will not accept the payment. They tell us the amount and instruct us to mail it out.

Oh well, grin and bear it. Write the check for tax+penalty and put it in the mail. Check clears and we figure that's it.

Oh no... there's more.

Apparently, there is INTEREST (more VIG) on the unpaid amount. That doesn't start on June 1 - it is backdated to February 1! The interest is not only on the amount of the tax, it is also on the penalty (how can they tax a charge from February 1 that didn't exist until June 1?)

Interest is 1% PER MONTH. That's over 12% annual (after compounding). The 1% kicks in on day one - you miss one day, you pay interest for the entire month (would be nice if banks paid like that on my deposits)

YES, it is MY fault for missing the payment date. No arguing that.

...but more than 10% in fees (over $1000) for two days? That's criminal.

FWIW, I did NOT vote for any of these bloodsucking clowns (or the outrageous and every increasing school budget). I actively campaign against most of them. Voting doesn't change anything, especially in Suffolk with the rigged "cross-endorsement" system that puts one candidate on the ticket.

Never thought I would say this, but I'm now on a campaign to move myself and my family out of Long Island. It's going to be a tough sell with the Mrs, but enough is enough. I'll work on that when I am not saying a prayer for those responsible for this system to contract a painful and fatal disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Never thought I would say this, but I'm now on a campaign to move myself and my family out of Long Island. It's going to be a tough sell with the Mrs, but enough is enough. I'll work on that when I am not saying a prayer for those responsible for this system to contract a painful and fatal disease.
I guarantee you will not regret it.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times

Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
We ALL complain, yet WE ALL stay.
(Yes, there are a few who packed up & STILL post here. They just can’t leave!)

Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I left, but still have family there so still view and post. But I no longer entice people to leave as it’s like telling an alcoholic they should quit drinking. Either they will come to the realization that they need to stop, or I’m wrong in assuming they are an alcoholic and I should just mind my own business.

There is a lot to love about LI. Government officials, fees, taxes and the cost of providing services unfortunately aren’t some of them.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
It's easier for some than it is for others. I have many reasons why I choose to stay in New York State and specifically Long Island. Family, business, financial. If I picked up and moved out of state today, it would have financial implications that outweigh the over-taxation.

Beyond Long Island, leaving the state is still a difficult task for me. Now, however, it is on my long-term plan. My recent tax epiphany is not the only, or biggest, reason. (It's not even the amount - just the criminal way it is calculated). It is the last straw. But it will probably take me 10+ years to get everything lined up. For different reasons, it may never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I left, but still have family there so still view and post. But I no longer entice people to leave as it’s like telling an alcoholic they should quit drinking. Either they will come to the realization that they need to stop, or I’m wrong in assuming they are an alcoholic and I should just mind my own business.
True, although I don't agree with the alcoholic analogy. There are many valid reasons why people choose to stay on Long Island. I would guess that the vast majority of us know and accept the downsides. We're not in denial. We simply feel the personal plusses outweighs the personal negatives. There's no perfect place. What works for one doesn't work for the next person.

I have traveled a bit over the years. I have many friends, relatives, and business associates all around the country. Many are in those "perfect" places lauded by ex-LIers. While some are beautiful areas that I love to _visit_, I have to scratch my head that someone would choose to live there. Some were desirable 10-20 years ago, but have quickly become just as bad as LI in many respects.

Sometimes I wonder if they are confident in their own choice of location... they can't seem to stop telling others how much "better" they have it. Kind of like the people who live in those prison camps (aka HOA communities). "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" To each their own.

Quote:
There is a lot to love about LI. Government officials, fees, taxes and the cost of providing services unfortunately aren’t some of them.
Agreed. I would add traffic/accessibility to that list. Getting around, and especially getting on/off the Island is high on my list of grievances. That and the completely corrupt government/election process chafe me far more than the cost of living.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Joe, I ran into your exact tax situation about nine years ago. One thing you forgot to mention is that if taxes go unpaid for a certain length of time (I believe it may be 12 months from when the County gets the file but don't quote me on that) it will end up being published in a tax lien sale. The County does not carry those balances indefinitely.

I was in a situation where I had to choose between using my money to pay for my cancer treatment (no insurance) versus using it to pay the property taxes. Of course the cancer treatment option won out, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this today, lol. But it meant that the taxes went unpaid for a year and a half, until I could sell the house, racking up fees and interest exactly as you have described. The closing took place just one week before it would have come up as part of a tax lien sale. Part of the proceeds of the closing went directly to the balance due for the taxes plus etc.

If I'm not mistaken, when taxes go unpaid for more than six months plus a certain number of days, the Town refers the whole thing to the County for collection. At least the Town of Islip does anyway. Other Towns may carry them on their books longer, but I kind of doubt it. They'd rather make the County their collection agency.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:03 PM

247 posts, read 181,100 times

I am not endorsing the political left or right side of politics. Please don't go there.

Where I agree with Maxine Waters is that politicians such as those snakes on Long Island should be confronted, not harassed but defiantly confronted in public.

They should be reminded that a large part of the population despises them every time they go out. If you see one of them in public tell them how you feel about their corruption and extortion posing as taxes.

Last edited by TenKW; 08-14-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM

284 posts, read 269,518 times
Long Island taxes will never change. Neither will Westchester rockland and Orange. Taxes are so ridiculous it’s not even funny. We get nothing for them. We don’t want to be in NY longer than hopefully another 10 years.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:12 PM

284 posts, read 269,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
It's easier for some than it is for others. I have many reasons why I choose to stay in New York State and specifically Long Island. Family, business, financial. If I picked up and moved out of state today, it would have financial implications that outweigh the over-taxation.

Beyond Long Island, leaving the state is still a difficult task for me. Now, however, it is on my long-term plan. My recent tax epiphany is not the only, or biggest, reason. (It's not even the amount - just the criminal way it is calculated). It is the last straw. But it will probably take me 10+ years to get everything lined up. For different reasons, it may never happen.

True, although I don't agree with the alcoholic analogy. There are many valid reasons why people choose to stay on Long Island. I would guess that the vast majority of us know and accept the downsides. We're not in denial. We simply feel the personal plusses outweighs the personal negatives. There's no perfect place. What works for one doesn't work for the next person.

I have traveled a bit over the years. I have many friends, relatives, and business associates all around the country. Many are in those "perfect" places lauded by ex-LIers. While some are beautiful areas that I love to _visit_, I have to scratch my head that someone would choose to live there. Some were desirable 10-20 years ago, but have quickly become just as bad as LI in many respects.

Sometimes I wonder if they are confident in their own choice of location... they can't seem to stop telling others how much "better" they have it. Kind of like the people who live in those prison camps (aka HOA communities). "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" To each their own.

Agreed. I would add traffic/accessibility to that list. Getting around, and especially getting on/off the Island is high on my list of grievances. That and the completely corrupt government/election process chafe me far more than the cost of living.
I grew up with an HOA in Orange County- we had a pool, tennis court and playground. My friends and I had
A ton of fun
I currently live in a POA in Sullivan county and my community is beautiful. Our huge pool overlooks a huge lake. 2 playgrounds 3 lakes, club house. The rules are in place to Keep it beautiful and keep property values up. I am very “pro” HOA/POA and would rather live in one than not. I’d much rather know mykids have other kids to play with than living 5’miles from our nearest neighbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island