Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I had to google that because I'd never heard of it. I see they have only three stores and all in Nassau: Great Neck, Jericho, and Williston Park. That explains my cluelessness. :-) But from the website it looks as if they carry Asian foods only?
H Mart is Korean owned. They carry mainly asian items but have a fair amount of western stuff also. The Jericho-Hicksville location is a very large store (their largest in NY state) and sells a lot of western items. Their Korean food court is good also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
It's part consolidation and part demographic and lifestyle changes. People eating less processed foods. More diverse ethnicities who will shop locally or more speficially (H Mart, Giuseppes, Johns Farms, Trader Joes, even Best). Addition of groceries at Target and Walmart. Amazon/Whole Foods. I tend to buy produce and meat at the small stores above and paper goods at the big boxes. Sadly King Kullen is closest and we tend to use it for emergencies like a needed ingredient while cooking. Then we say "wow, this store has everything, lol!" But we use it like a corner bodega and I cannot see that being a sustainable business model for them. Plus there is a Walmart Market, Target and Stop n Shop within a 1/2 mile.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 AM

412 posts, read 289,656 times
Eventually, one company will run everything in every industry...if humanity/our society lasts long enough. But that is the ultimate end game of capitalism. Not saying capitalism is bad...but that's the end game if things last long enough to get there.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
S&S Meat is horrible!
kK prices are/were insane!

Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I have always heard people outside of our immediate (tri-state) area rave about Wegmans but have never been in one. The 'reviews' seem all positive though.

It's funny how different locations within the same chain can differ. Someone mentioned disliking Stop & Shop because of the condition of the store(s) but I've always found them to be cleaner, brighter and more appealing than any of the Pathmark or Shop Rite stores I've been in, and as nice or better than any of the King Kullens except for the one that used to be in Commack (the KK there was very nice.) They're my preferred store except for Whole Foods which is where I buy my chicken and bread. (I gave up meat 20 years ago so can't speak to that.) The regular price of Fage yogurt is the same ($5.99 for the large container) in both WF and S&S.

IMHO one of the biggest disparities is the Best Markets. The one in West Islip has always been dinky, dark, dirty and depressing; it's a very small store and used to be a local independent before it became Best Yet/Best Market. I forget what it was called originally. Anyway it's always been yucky, lol. But the Best Market in Commack, which went into a former Waldbaum's store, is a big beautiful store, very spacious and light and clean. Pricewise they are more expensive than Stop & Shop and on some things even more expensive than Whole Foods. But they do carry a few things (like Bob's Red Mill Super-Fine Cake Flour) on their shelves that none of the other stores do. That'll no doubt end with Lidl though. Too bad.

Target is cheaper than the supermarkets for some things for not for others. Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal is definitely cheaper there, but the same Fage yogurt that's $5.99 at WF and S&S is $6.19 at Target. And Target's produce selection is ridiculously limited. I've never seen zucchini there, for example. Really? No zucchini?? LOL

Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 PM

259 posts, read 174,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Compete against who? The following already went out of business over the years:
-PathMark
-A&P
-Waldbaums
-Grand Union
-Food Town

The ONLY MAJOR supermarkets left are Shopwrite and Stop & Shop. MONOPOLY!
Sure, there are the smaller ones like Meat Farms, Best Yet, and a few other SMALL markets.
Any word if Stop and Shop will keep teh King Kullen name?
I was surprised a bit about Best Market selling, as they just underwent a fairly major expansion with opening in a bunch old A&P/Waldbaums/Pathmark stores (Along with Key food and Shop Rite).
I believe that with Stop & Shop buying out KK, they will have over 40% of the market on LI.

Uncle Guiseppe's should see if they can join the Shop Rite co-operative, but keep their name, that way they get much better pricing and be more competitive.

Last edited by sabbathunter; 01-05-2019 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
I have no experience shopping for groceries in Walmart and Target (althuugh it appears that Long Island contain no "Super Walmart" nor "Super Target" locations to my knowledge). Still, just considering the plain-old versions of "Walmart" and "Target" (not any "Super" versions of them), does anyone have experience with how they are price-wise (especially price-wise) and selection-wise?

For that matter (just for my edification), have you ever had occasion to grocery-shop at a "Super Walmart" and/or a "Super Target" in any geographic areas where they are located? if so, how they are price-wise (especially price-wise) and selection-wise?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I have no experience shopping for groceries in Walmart and Target (althuugh it appears that Long Island contain no "Super Walmart" nor "Super Target" locations to my knowledge). Still, just considering the plain-old versions of "Walmart" and "Target" (not any "Super" versions of them), does anyone have experience with how they are price-wise (especially price-wise) and selection-wise?

For that matter (just for my edification), have you ever had occasion to grocery-shop at a "Super Walmart" and/or a "Super Target" in any geographic areas where they are located? if so, how they are price-wise (especially price-wise) and selection-wise?
The Walmart in Valley Stream is a Super Walmart.
I rented an apartment to an Executive from the company who was transferred here for an interim period to help turn the Levittown Walmart into a Super Walmart and promote and increase awareness of the "Super Walmarts".
The "Regular" Walmart color is blue - according to her, "Super" Walmart color (at least for the grocery areas) is green , which is what she was wearing...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The Walmart in Valley Stream is a Super Walmart.
I rented an apartment to an Executive from the company who was transferred here for an interim period to help turn the Levittown Walmart into a Super Walmart and promote and increase awareness of the "Super Walmarts".
The "Regular" Walmart color is blue - according to her, "Super" Walmart color (at least for the grocery areas) is green , which is what she was wearing...

Oh, so now there is/are Super Walmarts in Long Island! How do you like that? I'll have to check it/them out sometime.

I used to go to Valley Stream and neighboring North Woodmere often enough to visit my closest relatives and went enough times from my early childhood & onward (being in my 60s per this writing) to the Green Acres Shopping Center.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:08 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I loathe, loathe King Kullen. Nasty, nasty management. However, they were the closest local store where I could walk to them since Waldbaums closed. Prices, especially on produce, were high with the exception of some occasional special. But the produce selection was very limited. I always preferred Stop and Shop, but have to drive to one. I rarely buy anything at Trader Joes, maybe one or two things once a year.

The problem is that there will be no competition and I'm sure Stop and Shop will take full advantage of that. Looks like I'll be driving further in order to do grocery shopping and store hopping for different things.

I went to that Walmart once in Valley Stream years ago. Maybe it wasn't a superstore yet. Ewwwww. I've been to Walmart and Target superstores outside of the New York area. They still don't sell everything that you would find in a regular supermarket. You can find things like bananas all the time, but not the variety of produce and dry goods found in most supermarkets. It also takes forever to get in and out. They're just too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island