Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:22 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I loathe, loathe King Kullen. Nasty, nasty management. However, they were the closest local store where I could walk to them since Waldbaums closed. Prices, especially on produce, were high with the exception of some occasional special. But the produce selection was very limited. I always preferred Stop and Shop, but have to drive to one. I rarely buy anything at Trader Joes, maybe one or two things once a year.

The problem is that there will be no competition and I'm sure Stop and Shop will take full advantage of that. Looks like I'll be driving further in order to do grocery shopping and store hopping for different things.

I went to that Walmart once in Valley Stream years ago. Maybe it wasn't a superstore yet. Ewwwww. I've been to Walmart and Target superstores outside of the New York area. They still don't sell everything that you would find in a regular supermarket. You can find things like bananas all the time, but not the variety of produce and dry goods found in most supermarkets. It also takes forever to get in and out. They're just too big.

Thank you for sharing information about your experiences with Walmart adn SUper Walmarts.

Supposedly (from what I've read varied times over the past few decades), Walmarts or, more likely, Super Walmarts, are said to have the lowest prices when compared to other grocery chains. Not knowing if this is true or not and is then true "across-the-board" (i.e., in ALL geographic locales they are located within and when compared to all other grocery chains), how did you find their prices to be compared to other grocery chains, all-in-all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
[/b]

Thank you for sharing information about your experiences with Walmart adn SUper Walmarts.

Supposedly (from what I've read varied times over the past few decades), Walmarts or, more likely, Super Walmarts, are said to have the lowest prices when compared to other grocery chains. Not knowing if this is true or not and is then true "across-the-board" (i.e., in ALL geographic locales they are located within and when compared to all other grocery chains), how did you find their prices to be compared to other grocery chains, all-in-all?
It's a little hard to compare since my experience was with superstores outside of the New York area, but I'd say they were cheaper or the same as the regular chain stores in the area. They had very low prices on eggs and milk was a little cheaper.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Want to know Walmart prices? Google is your friend!

Here's the current weekly flyer:
https://www.walmart.com/store/5293/v...-ny/weekly-ads

Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
Just throwing it out there, but does anyone remember BlueJay's?

There was one in Medford that turned into KK, and then Island Rec...

Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's a little hard to compare since my experience was with superstores outside of the New York area, but I'd say they were cheaper or the same as the regular chain stores in the area. They had very low prices on eggs and milk was a little cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Want to know Walmart prices? Google is your friend!

Here's the current weekly flyer:
https://www.walmart.com/store/5293/v...-ny/weekly-ads

Thank you both for sharing what you know about Walmart.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
I have no experience shopping for groceries in Walmart and Target (althuugh it appears that Long Island contain no "Super Walmart" nor "Super Target" locations to my knowledge). Still, just considering the plain-old versions of "Walmart" and "Target" (not any "Super" versions of them), does anyone have experience with how they are price-wise (especially price-wise) and selection-wise?
I often go to a (regular) Target and have found that they are usually cheaper than Stop & Shop for packaged goods: oatmeal, pasta, Domino sugar. However, the price differential varies: oatmeal is at least $1 cheaper at Target, Barilla pasta only about 6 cents. As I stated before, Target is 20 cents more expensive for the same carton of Fage Yogurt. A year ago Target was cheaper than any of the grocery stores for that (they were $5.99 while the others were $6.99 more more) but when Amazon bought Whole Foods they cut the Fage price to $5.99, S&S did the same (they were $7.59 at the time), and inexplicably Target raised theirs to $6.19. Made no sense. All three stores sometimes put it on sale for $4.99 so I keep an eye out.

I loathe Walmart the same way another poster loathes King Kullen. I've had to go to one (various locations) a couple times in the past to pick up something that a friend of mine needed and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There's something about a Walmart that practically makes my skin crawl. I'd rather pay a little more for something elsewhere rather than to to Walmart for it. Walmarts are just... skeevy. Ugh.

In contrast, the Bay Shore Target recently got a "facelift" and now looks extermely upscale. Beautiful store. Sadly it's not my local anymore but I am in that area about once a month and so if I happen to need anything I make a point of stopping in. I hope my two closest Targets eventually get the same treatment. There's nothing wrong with the other Targets but the Bay Shore store's renovation is stunning.

Too bad that all Target produce departments are pathetic compared to any grocery store, even the small ones, and even their dry goods selection is necessary way too restricted. Of course that's a function of far less shelf space.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I often go to a (regular) Target and have found that they are usually cheaper than Stop & Shop for packaged goods: oatmeal, pasta, Domino sugar. However, the price differential varies: oatmeal is at least $1 cheaper at Target, Barilla pasta only about 6 cents. As I stated before, Target is 20 cents more expensive for the same carton of Fage Yogurt. A year ago Target was cheaper than any of the grocery stores for that (they were $5.99 while the others were $6.99 more more) but when Amazon bought Whole Foods they cut the Fage price to $5.99, S&S did the same (they were $7.59 at the time), and inexplicably Target raised theirs to $6.19. Made no sense. All three stores sometimes put it on sale for $4.99 so I keep an eye out.

I loathe Walmart the same way another poster loathes King Kullen. I've had to go to one (various locations) a couple times in the past to pick up something that a friend of mine needed and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. There's something about a Walmart that practically makes my skin crawl. I'd rather pay a little more for something elsewhere rather than to to Walmart for it. Walmarts are just... skeevy. Ugh.

In contrast, the Bay Shore Target recently got a "facelift" and now looks extermely upscale. Beautiful store. Sadly it's not my local anymore but I am in that area about once a month and so if I happen to need anything I make a point of stopping in. I hope my two closest Targets eventually get the same treatment. There's nothing wrong with the other Targets but the Bay Shore store's renovation is stunning.

Too bad that all Target produce departments are pathetic compared to any grocery store, even the small ones, and even their dry goods selection is necessary way too restricted. Of course that's a function of far less shelf space.
Thank you for your feedback about both Target and Walmart. Perhaps if I'm in an area where the varied grocery providers and quite close to one another (Stop & Shop, Target, Walmart, et al), I'll cross-compare them myself for the same items that I typically get.

I'm not sure that each (or any, for that matter) of the grocery chains allow you to look up ANY kind of item that they sell in their stores by their PRICE . . . or,better yet, if there are any third-party independent website(s) that let you cross-compare the various local supermarkets or grocery sellers by price for the same specified items. I'll research that myself.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:00 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Thank you for your feedback about both Target and Walmart. Perhaps if I'm in an area where the varied grocery providers and quite close to one another (Stop & Shop, Target, Walmart, et al), I'll cross-compare them myself for the same items that I typically get.

There is a Walmart and a Target on Crooked Hill Road just north of the Expressway exit 53 (for the Sagtikos Parkway.) They are not in the same parking lot but very close to each other. The Target is the closer to the Expressway and in the same general lot/area as Home Goods, JoAnn, and Costco at the other end. The Walmart is in the next "lot" northward along with Home Depot and Kohls.

There is another Target on the south side of Vets Highway in Commack just before it merges into Jericho Turnpike. This is the same area where King Kullen used to be and where Whole Foods is opening soon.

There is no Stop & Shop close to either of the Targets, but the closest one to either of the Commack stores would be the one on Jericho Turnpike in what's considered East Northport (just west of the Commack "line"), close to the intersection of Jericho Tpke and Larkfield Road. The other Stop & Shop is in the opposite direction and is on Jericho Tpke as you approach the business area of Smithtown from the west. So the Jericho Turnpike Target is a bit closer to the East Northport S&S than to the Smithtown S&S.

Oddly, I have found that the prices in the Smithtown Stop & Shop are higher on several items than in the Commack store. The same carton of Fage that is $5.99 in Commack and most other S&S locations is $7.99 (!!) at the Smithtown one. The small packet of Barbara's organic animal cookies is $1.29 at other S&S stores but $1.39 at the Smithtown one. I always thought everything was priced the same in their regional scanner database but obviously individual stores can alter scan prices for a given barcode. I did question it once but was told by the manager that stores are allowed "leeway" in pricing (whatever that means.)

Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
There is a Walmart and a Target on Crooked Hill Road just north of the Expressway exit 53 (for the Sagtikos Parkway.) They are not in the same parking lot but very close to each other. The Target is the closer to the Expressway and in the same general lot/area as Home Goods, JoAnn, and Costco at the other end. The Walmart is in the next "lot" northward along with Home Depot and Kohls.

There is another Target on the south side of Vets Highway in Commack just before it merges into Jericho Turnpike. This is the same area where King Kullen used to be and where Whole Foods is opening soon.

There is no Stop & Shop close to either of the Targets, but the closest one to either of the Commack stores would be the one on Jericho Turnpike in what's considered East Northport (just west of the Commack "line"), close to the intersection of Jericho Tpke and Larkfield Road. The other Stop & Shop is in the opposite direction and is on Jericho Tpke as you approach the business area of Smithtown from the west. So the Jericho Turnpike Target is a bit closer to the East Northport S&S than to the Smithtown S&S.

Oddly, I have found that the prices in the Smithtown Stop & Shop are higher on several items than in the Commack store. The same carton of Fage that is $5.99 in Commack and most other S&S locations is $7.99 (!!) at the Smithtown one. The small packet of Barbara's organic animal cookies is $1.29 at other S&S stores but $1.39 at the Smithtown one. I always thought everything was priced the same in their regional scanner database but obviously individual stores can alter scan prices for a given barcode. I did question it once but was told by the manager that stores are allowed "leeway" in pricing (whatever that means.)

I am familar with and have shopped multiple times at each of the stores that you mentioned:

a. the Walmart in Commack & the nearly-adjoining Target in Commack . . . both nearly adjoining Dix Hills
b. the Target along Veterans Highway (close enough to Commack Road)
c. the King Kullen in the same shopping center as the just-mentioned Target along Veterans Highway
d. the Stop & Shop on Jericho Turnpike close to Larkfield Road

though I never outright went grocery shopping in a comprehensive way at any Target or Walmart (thus far) but maybe just getting a single odd item or two just in passing.

Last edited by UsAll; 01-06-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

a. the Walmart in Commack & the nearly-adjoining Target in Commack . . . both nearly adjoining Dix Hills

That Target is (sadly) closing on February 4th . It is one of six in the entire country that did
not do well, apparently . I liked shopping there because it was never crowded and was immaculate.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island