Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 AM

889 posts, read 2,407,229 times

Advertisements

Yah, 110 is not the greatest but Huntington Station is not just 110. I guess when you live here you realize that.....people sure make a lot of assumptions about places. Last night I went to Bay Shore to their tricentennial birthday at the High School. People always say bad things about Bay Shore....but sitting there in the auditoriam you realize that the kids are great, the school is great, the community is great....and unfortunately places get bad reps and suddenly they are 'no good'. Only the thing that is really 'no good' about most places....is that people on the outside looking in say bad things. Diversity is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,932,133 times
South of Jericho is usually all right. Unless it's changed radically in the last 5 years (since I moved).

Parts of northern Huntington Station really are bad, though; it's not just reputation. I used to live near the old South Huntington library, and while I would walk to the train station during the day I would never have done so at night.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Yah, 110 is not the greatest but Huntington Station is not just 110. I guess when you live here you realize that.....people sure make a lot of assumptions about places. Last night I went to Bay Shore to their tricentennial birthday at the High School. People always say bad things about Bay Shore....but sitting there in the auditoriam you realize that the kids are great, the school is great, the community is great....and unfortunately places get bad reps and suddenly they are 'no good'. Only the thing that is really 'no good' about most places....is that people on the outside looking in say bad things. Diversity is good.
It might be that you candy coat because you are a a Realtor, but I've actually driven up that road at night and seen a man lying in the street after being stabbed, while people ran. And I consider Amityville on 110 to be not that bad. That stretch of road on Huntington Station is the worst I've seen on LI hands down. And crime from that area is naturally going to spread out to the surrounding streets.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Only the thing that is really 'no good' about most places....is that people on the outside looking in say bad things. Diversity is good.
There is good diversity and bad diversity. When diversity brings gangs, crime, etc then of course it's certainly not "good" diversity and that's the reality here.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Actually I live here. I substitute teach in the High School. And I have NEVER seen a gang, gang member or, quite frankly, seen much crime. I DO see a lot of illegal immigrants standing on and around 110 trying to find work. For the most part.....people are people.....everyone is trying to make a living and everyone is trying to make ends meet, pay the bills, put food on the table, have their kids grow up healthy and strong and wise.....

Maybe it's just that I'm not prejudice or racist? I see the good in every neighborhood. Probably because I grew up in Queens and not All White Town USA.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
I did not grow up in All White Town USA, which is how I can spot a sketchy neighborhood. Before I moved to NJ and LI, I lived in Bushwick.

You are quite blind if you think there are no gangs in Huntington Station... just read the news. $94k in federal funds was recently allocated to Huntington Station to help with the gang issues. There are news stories all over about the problem.

Thomas Spota, Suffolk County District Attorney, announced an initiative directed at gang violence in the Huntington Station area.

In a three-week period detectives from the District Attorney’s office, Narcotics, Criminal Intelligence and the Second Squad have made 158 arrests 66 of which are gang affiliates. Affiliates of MS13, Old Station Soldiers, South Side Posse, Latin Kings, Crips, Bloods and Legion of Doom were identified among the arrestees.

Narcotics and weapons were confiscated during the sweep. Of the 258 charges nearly half are serious felonies – sale and possession of cocaine and weapons charges.

Police Commissioner Rich Dormer and District Attorney Tom Spota are jointly committed to aggressively fight gangs and gang violence in our communities. In the Huntington Station community alone there have been 58 shooting incidents in the last 18 months. The people of Huntington Station, a community of hard working people and small businesses, have suffered at the hands of street gangs fueled by guns and drugs.

DA Spota knows that justice must be swift and severe and intends to continue this type of initiative in other areas in the County where we see spikes in crime.

Last edited by newtoli; 04-14-2008 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Amazing...one would never know this actually LIVING in Huntington Guess you need to find out about your own town from the newspaper. Our kids walk around town, go to the mall, live in The Village, The Station...I drive around all day doing Real Estate, Listing, Selling, Renting. I work at the High School. Everyone is lovely, kind, nice. Kids are, for the most part, just typical teenagers.....I guess the gangs are about as rampant as those Mexican Drug Dealers I heard about in East Northport on another thread lol

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
The few blocks south of the train station (E. 1st, E.2nd, E3rd) is indeed very rough. There are also a couple of other areas that are not so good. Unfortunately, many people paint Huntington Station with too broad a brush. There are also some very nice areas.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,802 times
AndreaII is absolutely right. It would be doing a disservice to tell someone unfamiliar with the area that it is a nice place to be, or a good investment. That is not credible information at all. I would prefer to deal with an honest realtor, not the one who's just desperate to make the sale.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
My in-laws lived in the part of HS that was south of Jericho off Evergreen Ave and it was quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island