Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 30,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj072700 View Post
Can anyone comment on the area of Huntington Station off East 17th? I just saw a house on South Prospect that was very nice. I think the area was called Gatkey Park.

Do you mean Huntington Station on Long Island New York....because I am here 8 years & have never ever heard of any such are called Gatkey Park...just some marketing non sense if you ask me...But I did map East 17th here & that is an ok block & I do mean BLOCK because in Huntington Station you could live on a gorgeous street but cross Depot Road and look out...you will think you got time warped to a third world country.......and I mean literally across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Gatkey Park

It is just a small neighborhood in the Huntington-Greenlawn area. It was probably called that by real estate developers originally (in the sixties I would say).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Doesn't really exist, as far as I am concerned it is someone (a sales professional probably) trying to no call it what it is...Huntington Station!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Ok, I can't hold back any longer LOL

Am a brand new member here - was looking to see what's available online regarding Huntington and here I am.

Here it goes: Yes, I'm a Realtor, AND I'm also a home owner. I have lived in Huntington Station for seven years now--in a lovely area!

Just in case some of you think I don't know a lovely area when I see one, well, I moved here from Cold Spring Harbor, and not the "poor" part of CSH either...
My daughters went to school there and even then (15+ years ago), drugs were available in school, yes in CSH! Anyone who thinks there is a (public) school on L.I. where that's not the case is kidding him/herself.

Now back to Huntington Station: yes, there are bad spots--especially the immediate surroundings of the LIRR Station; sort of between Lenox-Depot-NY Ave, and between Pulaski-Broadway as well as the lower "Number Streets" off NY Ave. Also, a large part of NY Ave in the Station may not be the best for residential purposes... The way I see it, one of the problems is the large, illegal population, which freely congregates in that area and by all appearances "rents" in the surrounding neighborhood (who knows how many to an apartment/house) and - again, in my opinion - attracts undesirable behavior and individuals.

But, that's not all there is to Huntington Station. Indeed, the Maplewood section is known to have very nice homes/streets (just recently a house sold in the $900s) and so does the Gatke Park area (yes it does exist); the Gatke Park area is actually between Depot and NY Ave, but it's not very large. As someone else pointed out, you can live on one street, and go a couple of blocks, and the neighborhood is very different. But, that's not just in Hunt. Station! The same holds true in parts of Huntington and Greenlawn.

There are other sections in Hunt. Station which are truly nice neighborhoods.

As far as the school districts go, from my observations and feedback from many residents, Huntington has no BAD schools, it just depends on what you want in a school. Other than the obvious, CSHSD, I have had customers who insisted on SD #3 = Huntington and wouldn't touch SD #13 = So. Hunt. and vice versa, and so on. SD 3 for instance has a very good Special Ed reputation and before anyone thinks of something disparaging, so does SD 5 = Half Hollow Hills. And the list goes on... And drug problems unfortunately exist in all of them, some just manage to keep it more quiet.

Phew - got that out of my system regarding Huntington Station LOL

Before you buy a house in a new neighborhood, check it out on weekends, after school lets out and at night, so you can see and feel for yourself what goes on.

I'll get off my soapbox now :-)

Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Very well put.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM

I agree. Very well put Elkie. Hunting Station is in dire need of a new approach. the problem is this Town Board is to concerned wit Political correctness and refuses to take any meaningful action to address the problems.

I am now noticing Gang graffiti with different members tagging over one another's scribblings. Someone even tagged the sign that welcomes you to my development as you pull into it.

Just such a disgrace. SOOOOOO cant wait to get out of here.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Ah yes, the Town Board... lots of talk, no effective action, I agree!
Personally, I'd rather try to change things (and vote for different politicians) than leave, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker4015 View Post
I agree. Very well put Elkie. Hunting Station is in dire need of a new approach. the problem is this Town Board is to concerned wit Political correctness and refuses to take any meaningful action to address the problems.

I am now noticing Gang graffiti with different members tagging over one another's scribblings. Someone even tagged the sign that welcomes you to my development as you pull into it.

Just such a disgrace. SOOOOOO cant wait to get out of here.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:23 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Ok, I can't hold back any longer LOL

Am a brand new member here - was looking to see what's available online regarding Huntington and here I am.

Here it goes: Yes, I'm a Realtor, AND I'm also a home owner. I have lived in Huntington Station for seven years now--in a lovely area!

Just in case some of you think I don't know a lovely area when I see one, well, I moved here from Cold Spring Harbor, and not the "poor" part of CSH either...
My daughters went to school there and even then (15+ years ago), drugs were available in school, yes in CSH! Anyone who thinks there is a (public) school on L.I. where that's not the case is kidding him/herself.

Now back to Huntington Station: yes, there are bad spots--especially the immediate surroundings of the LIRR Station; sort of between Lenox-Depot-NY Ave, and between Pulaski-Broadway as well as the lower "Number Streets" off NY Ave. Also, a large part of NY Ave in the Station may not be the best for residential purposes... The way I see it, one of the problems is the large, illegal population, which freely congregates in that area and by all appearances "rents" in the surrounding neighborhood (who knows how many to an apartment/house) and - again, in my opinion - attracts undesirable behavior and individuals.

But, that's not all there is to Huntington Station. Indeed, the Maplewood section is known to have very nice homes/streets (just recently a house sold in the $900s) and so does the Gatke Park area (yes it does exist); the Gatke Park area is actually between Depot and NY Ave, but it's not very large. As someone else pointed out, you can live on one street, and go a couple of blocks, and the neighborhood is very different. But, that's not just in Hunt. Station! The same holds true in parts of Huntington and Greenlawn.

There are other sections in Hunt. Station which are truly nice neighborhoods.

As far as the school districts go, from my observations and feedback from many residents, Huntington has no BAD schools, it just depends on what you want in a school. Other than the obvious, CSHSD, I have had customers who insisted on SD #3 = Huntington and wouldn't touch SD #13 = So. Hunt. and vice versa, and so on. SD 3 for instance has a very good Special Ed reputation and before anyone thinks of something disparaging, so does SD 5 = Half Hollow Hills. And the list goes on... And drug problems unfortunately exist in all of them, some just manage to keep it more quiet.

Phew - got that out of my system regarding Huntington Station LOL

Before you buy a house in a new neighborhood, check it out on weekends, after school lets out and at night, so you can see and feel for yourself what goes on.

I'll get off my soapbox now :-)
Great Post Elke

Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Ah yes, the Town Board... lots of talk, no effective action, I agree!
Personally, I'd rather try to change things (and vote for different politicians) than leave, though.

Id love to see some balance voted into the Town Board but its not going to happen for a loooong time. To many liberals in this town for republicans to mount any serious traction. Not that I want a totaly Republican board...we just need SOME balance.

BUT...If we build a Day Laborer shape up site in Huntington Village....ahhh...then we will see some outrage..

Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Better balance would definitely be good!!

Love your idea of the Day Laborer Site in the Village Move it from NY Ave/Depot Rd further North, around NY Ave/High Street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker4015 View Post
Id love to see some balance voted into the Town Board but its not going to happen for a loooong time. To many liberals in this town for republicans to mount any serious traction. Not that I want a totaly Republican board...we just need SOME balance.

BUT...If we build a Day Laborer shape up site in Huntington Village....ahhh...then we will see some outrage..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island