Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 AM

9 posts, read 8,254 times

Advertisements

Hey there. So basically, my landlord is a crazy bipolar nutcase. About 2 weeks ago, when my roommate was moving out, the landlord told me I needed to be out next week because her cousin was coming to rent it. She never took a security deposit from me, and there was no lease ( red flags I know, but at the time I was desperate.)

Long story short, I told her I wanted to stay of course, and I’d find a replacement roommate which I had already begun to do. Last Saturday I had someone come by to look at the place and she loved it. The landlord said that she can move in, and she’ll accept the rent on the second of March.
The next day, she told me she had changed her mind, and that the new girl could not move in and I had to be out within two weeks at the latest. I told her that’s ILLEGAL, and that by the law she needed to give me at least 30 days notice. She finally agreed as if she was doing me a favor.
She rents out both the basement as well as the accessory in-law unit I live in. Her mother lives in the main house. When I searched the house I discovered that it was only a two-unit building. Its probably the basement she’s renting illegally, but how can I tell? What can I do? Also, the day she agreed to 30 days was feb 23, and I don’t intend to give her any more money but I will be gone by March 23. I just don’t see the point in paying for the last 23 days of March because what she’s doing is so messed up, and legally she needs to give me 30 days so by the time she was even able to take me to court for not paying the last 23 days I’ll be gone anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:03 AM

732 posts, read 884,434 times
Stay there as long as you want until you find a new place. She will have to evict you which she won't since basement rentals are illegal. She will get a huge fine. She can't sue you for rent if there is no lease/contract.

If she locks you out, shut down utilities, or harass you, call the cops (non emergency). Get a recording camera inside your home so she doesn't trespass. Wyze cam is good which has free cloud drive for recording. If she does, warn her that you will call the cops (non emergency) if she trespass again. Make sure you have some proof that you live there like any mail or updated driver's license.

Once you find a new place, call the town and tell them you want to report an illegal rental where you used to live. Take pictures/record for proof

Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Stay there as long as you want until you find a new place. She will have to evict you which she won't since basement rentals are illegal. She will get a huge fine. She can't sue you for rent if there is no lease/contract.

If she locks you out, shut down utilities, or harass you, call the cops. Get a camera inside your home so she doesn't trespass. If she does, call the cops (non emergency). Make sure you have some proof that you live there like any mail or updated driver's license.

Once you find a new place, call the town and tell them you want to report an illegal rental where you used to live.
GOD BLESS YOU. My mail and drivers license have this address! Thank goodness. I don’t live in the basement unit I live in the in law but if she tries anything I could always hint that I know the basement she’s renting out is illegal..

Old 02-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Are utilities free? How many electric meters are at the home? If it's one, that usually means it's a one family house/apt.

You can also search the house online to check if it's one or multi family home. This applies to Nassau County.
https://lrv.nassaucountyny.gov/
Once you're in, go to property description tab and it'll tell you.

Just don't blackmail her i.e. "I know your basement is illegal which you are renting. I will report it to the town if you don't let me stay"

Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Are utilities free? How many electric meters are at the home? If it's one, that usually means it's a one family house/apt.

You can also search the house online to check if it's one or multi family home. This applies to Nassau County.
https://lrv.nassaucountyny.gov/
Once you're in, go to property description tab and it'll tell you.

Just don't blackmail her i.e. "I know your basement is illegal which you are renting. I will report it to the town if you don't let me stay"
Yea that’s true I guess that would be considered extortion lmao. I looked it up and it’s a 2 unit home so I’m guessing my in-law apt is legal and so is her moms unit on the main floor but that the basement is not legal. Since she agreed my 30 day notice was feb 23rd I’m assuming I no longer have to pay rent as long as I’m out by the 23rd of next month right?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
OP provided that the MIL unit was legally done you are in a month to month lease, lack of paperwork is not good and shows that they are doing this off the books but they need to give you 30 days notice that they will be ending the lease at the end of a month. You have no legal right to continue there once a written notice has been provided to you which you should acknowledge in writing have copies for yourself. Ensure you have proof of any rent paid and when you leave ensure the place is in the same quality you found it, take picture in case the owner wants to come after you for any damages because they had no deposit to draw against.

If you choose to leave prior to the 30 day deadline you don't get to pro-rate the rent it is your decision to leave earlier. You can report her after your gone but your just being vindictive because this person rented to you "never took a security deposit from me, and there was no lease" at a time you said your desperate. So it did'nt last for the long run, move on you haven't lost anything just some aggravation.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Also yes, utilities are free so idk if it means it’s on one electric meter but I’m assuming so

Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahG92 View Post
Yea that’s true I guess that would be considered extortion lmao. I looked it up and it’s a 2 unit home so I’m guessing my in-law apt is legal and so is her moms unit on the main floor but that the basement is not legal. Since she agreed my 30 day notice was feb 23rd I’m assuming I no longer have to pay rent as long as I’m out by the 23rd of next month right?
There is no physical agreement/lease between you two. You can live for free for the next 23 days. But if you want to be nice, you would prorate the rent payment. You took time to find a new roommate and she agreed then later said nope.

If you were on an annual lease, you would be fine but this is a monthly "agreement". It's always a possibility that she will sue for the payment. Only way she would win if there was a physical signed agreement between you two. She may have a small chance of winning if she gave you a payment receipt or you paid the rent by check stating (rent payment "month").
If you paid cash, she has no case.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There is no physical agreement/lease between you two. You can live for free for the next 23 days. But if you want to be nice, you would prorate the rent payment. You took time to find a new roommate and she agreed then later said nope.

If you were on an annual lease, you would be fine but this is a monthly "agreement". It's always a possibility that she will sue for the payment. Only way she would win if there was a physical signed agreement between you two. She may have a small chance of winning if she gave you a payment receipt or you paid the rent by check stating (rent payment "month").
If you paid cash, she has no case.
Yea I definitely don’t wanna be nice. Especially since she acted like the 30 days was a favor after I told her she’s required by law!! The girl I found is now facing homelessness btw. And she has a daughter. My landlord is so messed up .

And yea it’s been all cash thank god

Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Ubering and HannahG you two sure are in synch with each other. Always here at the same exact time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island