Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,326 times

Advertisements

hi, I have a young autism child 4 years old. I am moving from NJ to Long Island Half Hollow Hills. but I was told I have to contact suffolk county DDI program in order to put my child to the autism program. because the school district only deals with 5 years old autism children. before 5 year, we have to go through county.

does anyone know what the procedure is and where to start? in order for my child to be placed in a good autism program?
millions thanks!
we move to Half Hollow Hills just for the good autism program. too bad that the school doesn't accept 4 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM

220 posts, read 1,118,918 times
I think you need to call the County office, "Division for Children with Special Needs."

50 Laser Court
Hauppauge, NY 11788
phone: (631) 853-2318

If that's not correct, they can probably tell you who to call.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Call the district directly.My daughter turned 4 in November and has been getting speech therapy and a home aid for about a year and a half. DDI is an outside organiztion that the districts contract out with. There are many that the districts use but you do have your choice. Usually the district has to sit down and assess if your child qualifies for occupational and speech therapy. They usually are pretty easy with putting kids in the program especially if you are coming from an out of state program as well.
Good Luck

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Call the district directly.My daughter turned 4 in November and has been getting speech therapy and a home aid for about a year and a half. DDI is an outside organiztion that the districts contract out with. There are many that the districts use but you do have your choice. Usually the district has to sit down and assess if your child qualifies for occupational and speech therapy. They usually are pretty easy with putting kids in the program especially if you are coming from an out of state program as well.
Good Luck
That was my impression of how it works. I know thats how it is in Nassau.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 27,407 times
Default child with autism

yes contact your district directly.or call 665-1900 kramer learning center.great autism program, i work there

Old 05-04-2008, 01:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
I don't think you are allowed to advertise your services on this forum. Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't attempt to judge a personal decision such as 1:1 versus a school setting. Individual treatment is beneficial, but so is a school setting in regards to socialization. I do 1:1 as well, but I think a parent should research on his/her own without someone trying to solicit business from them.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 05-04-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 212,136 times
You can call up your school district and they can give you all the information for early intervention or you can contact the county directly. either way you will get the information you need to have your child evaluated by the county. do it as soon as possible because placement is taking place now for next year. programs book up quickly and you need to get your child evaluated, have your meeting and then tour pre-schools and then finally placement. after your child ages out, then you will go to your local district for services. good luck with everything. i heard dix hills has a great program. i am in lindenhurst. its pretty good. i hear mix things but i have been happy. west babylon has a good program and so does east islip (if you are looking on the south shore). again, i hear dix hills is great.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 61,705 times
You should call the district directly. Here is a link from NYSED / VESID. Hope it is helpful.

Information for Parents of Preschool Students with Disabilities Ages 3-5

Old 10-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,881 times
I am a grandparent of achild who has autism I know ddi has a great young autism program but they also have a waiting list does anyone know anyother preschool programs on long island

Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 PM

33 posts, read 161,935 times
Other pre-school programs on Long Island worth looking in to:
•Variety Child Learning Center
•Little Village School
•Hebrew Academy for Special Children (HASC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island