Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times

Advertisements

Plenty of Optimum outages reported on local FB with the recent storm. Hardly any outage on FIOS. Typical one-sidedness as far as availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Plenty of Optimum outages reported on local FB with the recent storm. Hardly any outage on FIOS. Typical one-sidedness as far as availability.
This is kind of silly. Both companies had outages. Not sure where you got stats showing one worse than the other. VZ particularly hammered in NJ, Rockland, Bklyn, Staten Island, Islip....Optimum more on LI, particularly Wantagh where there was a lot of lightning and tree damage.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
This is kind of silly. Both companies had outages. Not sure where you got stats showing one worse than the other. VZ particularly hammered in NJ, Rockland, Bklyn, Staten Island, Islip....Optimum more on LI, particularly Wantagh where there was a lot of lightning and tree damage.
Were those Verizon outages all fiber though? They also provide DSL.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM

5,532 posts, read 7,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A lot of channels that were HD on Fios are not with Cablevision. A few in particular this is a big disappointment for me. They are probably owned by Verision so they don't have an option, but it still sucks.

If Fios comes back with a $20+ a month savings to me in 3 months, I'll probably switch back. I had no issues with FIOS product. Their customer service sucked and they want to charge you $100 to show up to fix their equipment when it doesn't work.
This, to me, is such BS. It's their faulty equipment and they want to issue a repair charge???

My TV was pixelating like crazy this weekend, was on the phone for an hour with tech support (who never took ESL classes) and finally had to schedule a tech to come to the house. Appointment was set for yesterday, Sunday between 1-5pm. Had to stay home all day and wait, then they never showed up.
I was pi$$ed to say the least.

Ready to try Optimum/Altice.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,044,859 times
Optimum is the worst. Changed over to Altice One about two months ago. Worst customer service. More pixelation than FIOS, still not able to get the 300Mbps they promised. Not even close. Getting 170Mbps through ethernet and maybe 25 through wifi. Called them twice and after we lost the phone connection they never called back. Called the sales rep to complain. He connected me directly to the Internet techs and the same thing. No follow up from anyone. We need to get rid of monopolies!

Old 07-30-2019, 03:02 PM

5,532 posts, read 7,126,090 times
Sorry I ever took the antenna off my roof.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

If Fios comes back with a $20+ a month savings to me in 3 months, I'll probably switch back. I had no issues with FIOS product. Their customer service sucked and they want to charge you $100 to show up to fix their equipment when it doesn't work.
FWIW Optimum is now charging $80 for service calls if a subscriber does not pay a monthly fee for it.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Optimum is the worst. Changed over to Altice One about two months ago. Worst customer service. More pixelation than FIOS, still not able to get the 300Mbps they promised. Not even close. Getting 170Mbps through ethernet and maybe 25 through wifi. Called them twice and after we lost the phone connection they never called back. Called the sales rep to complain. He connected me directly to the Internet techs and the same thing. No follow up from anyone. We need to get rid of monopolies!
I've been trying to get them to come fix their sagging wire running through my backyard for nearly a year. Since I'm not a customer, all they can do is forward the request to a supervisor to get a callback. I keep telling them nobody is calling me back and some reps care more than others and promise this and that... but... nothing. I even told them I'll have to cut it because it's a hazard for my kids. They don't care. I should've acted on it... I bet someone will come then. I've had a lot of time to think about how to make it look like a rodent's work.

What kind of business doesn't have a proper process to fix downed equipment regardless of who the complainant is?

And then last month they were going through people's yards to take inventory of which wires behind our houses need to be re-insulated or some such. I was told that in the process they will re-pull it. Let's see how long they'll take - I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder how many will be affected if I cut the wire. Join my party, Optimum customers!

Last edited by ovi8; 07-31-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 PM

577 posts, read 980,781 times
I called Optimum about a question I had on my first bill. They were right I was wrong and they gave me 3 free months of the movie channel for being inconvenienced! Won me over on that one!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:03 AM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,790,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
FWIW Optimum is now charging $80 for service calls if a subscriber does not pay a monthly fee for it.

They really should only be charging if the company isn't to blame. Insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island