Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 04:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,430,339 times

Advertisements

Just read on the patch about the death of this poor child: https://patch.com/new-york/northfork...-girl-11-crash . Not sure who's fault it really is but I find the parent's first priority was to setup a GoFundMe page to pay for her funeral expenses. Really? Your child has just died and your first thought is "this is going to cost a lot, let's try to find a way to get others to pay for this?"
Is this what the world has come to? After every tragedy or sob story people are looking for handouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 05:55 PM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
two different GoFundMe's set up by two different people - not the family. However it is always sketchy to me when random people set up GoFundMes. You have to be really careful who you donate to in these circumstances.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM

The family has to endorse those gofundme's. Otherwise it would be scam. And for it to be not one, but two of them sounds like someone who is more concerned about financial gains than the actual loss. This just doesn't seem right.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:12 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,125,642 times
The roads out here were not designed to handle the insane amount of traffic we have now.
Accidents are on the rise. People are just not paying enough attention or just tired of waiting to make turns or whatever and just go for it.
Stupid stupid stupid.
And sadly, this is what happens.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,269,691 times
The far better way to fund raise is to go to a bank and open an account FBO. Especially in the case of tragedies the fees are waived by the bank. Go fund me takes 2.9 percent of every donation and a 30¢ per donation as a fee. In many cases, there are problems in terms of setting these up properly and sloppy accounting can result in a tax nightmare for those who start them.

Generally speaking they are setup for tragic circumstances, like mounting medical bills and clearly the recipient is not in a position to handle them, most especially in a death situation. Attention to the withdrawals must be paid or else the ramifications for the starter of the crowdfunding can be severe.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:31 AM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
The family has to endorse those gofundme's. Otherwise it would be scam. And for it to be not one, but two of them sounds like someone who is more concerned about financial gains than the actual loss. This just doesn't seem right.
There have been plenty of instances where it has come out later that fundraisers were set up by people who didn’t know or barely knew the family. I’m not gonna judge someone who lost their kid when I don’t know what’s really going on. I simply don’t donate to things where I don’t know the people involved.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:40 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,059,548 times
Quote:
GoFundMe is a Patch promotional partner.
So Patch gets a cut I guess.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There have been plenty of instances where it has come out later that fundraisers were set up by people who didn’t know or barely knew the family. I’m not gonna judge someone who lost their kid when I don’t know what’s really going on. I simply don’t donate to things where I don’t know the people involved.
I suggest that you read the patch article and the GoFundMe links as you can read about how the kids family is going on and on how they don't have a car, can't get groceries and how much of a financial burden this death was to them. All I know is if this was my loss the last thing I'd be concerned about is how am I going to get groceries and work. It's just so tacky of them.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
So Patch gets a cut I guess.
Patch gets a cut, GoFundMe gets a cut, the family gets a cut, etc seems like a lot of people are capitalizing off this poor child's death.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,946,226 times
Retest everyone, especially the elderly, more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island