Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 07:29 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,966,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Fairly sure there’s a high degree of correlation (and perhaps causation) between the attitudes of posters in this thread and age / political alignment. And as usual, one side thinks the other side is just stupid (and they’re both right).
There are rumors that one political persuasion wants this to gravely damage the economy and thus make it appear as catastrophic,, deadly, and change-inducing as possible while the other sees this as essentially a seasonal flu with a larger (and somewhat avoidable) hit on the nursing home population.

Then there are the apolitical folks with various perspectives on the math and history.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-27-2020 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 07:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
LI opening phase 1 today!
Cuomo’s hand has been forced.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 AM

226 posts, read 129,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
See post #684.

Recent data showed the economic slowdown in Sweden in the first three months of 2020 was less extreme than elsewhere in Europe — a contraction of 0.3 percent versus 3.8 percent in the eurozone — but economists are bracing for a big hit.
https://www.politico.eu/article/swed...9-light-touch/

How do most Swedes feel about it all? Has anybody asked them? Does anyone care?
Did you read the entire article, or even the end of the sentence you quoted: "but economists are bracing for a big hit"?

As to how Swedes feel about it, the Swedish approach relied on its people voluntarily complying with the government's recommendations, which they mostly seem to have done:

Quote:
So Swedes have been free to shop, eat at restaurants, go to the movies and get their hair cut by professionals. But the reality is, many have chosen not to. Swedes have a high level of trust in their authorities, surveys show, and many have heeded Tegnell’s advice to restrict movement and stay apart.
I don't know why "cons" like you think the Swedish approach would have worked in America.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you believe your claims of wrecked lives and vengeful people are not worth supporting that's fine, it was a pretty lame argument anyway. Or you could start a thread about it, I guess.
I will think about it. TOS requires that you at least make an attempt to see if there's another thread on top. There are certainly enough Covid threads around.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,523,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
There are rumors that one political persuasion wants this to gravely damage the economy and thus make it appear as catastrophic,, deadly, and change-inducing as possible while the other sees this as essentially a seasonal flu with a larger (and somewhat avoidable) hit on the nursing home population.

Then there are the apolitical folks with various perspectives on the math and history.
Perhaps, but there is a significant disconnect between the ruling class and the rank and file which makes it difficult to advance these "rumors" without sounding like a kook. The ruling class of the left understands that a weakened economy hurts the incumbent at the polls. The ruling class of the left understands that mail-in voting tends to favor Democrats, not necessarily due to fraud, but because Democratic voters (minorities, the young) are are less motivated to vote.

The ruling class of the left has shaped the Democratic party into the party of authoritarianism and censorship, because that ideology appeals to the demographic they're presently trying to win over - panicky suburban white women. We see that exact demographic in this thread calling for people who don't wear masks to be "locked in their houses". The left on the whole also relies more on "experts", the same sort who are constantly wrong about everything from whether we should invade Iraq to whether masks should be worn - or shouldn't, depending on the day. Those same experts who were wrong about Iraq are still on the MSM as "political consultants" or "middle east policy experts", by the way, which begs the question, are there any consequences for being wrong?

The rank and file doesn't really understand these things and is mostly motivated by panic and hysteria, or at least a view that "their side" is the right one and everyone else is just stupid. So suggesting that their leaders are doing this - at least in part - out of less than altruistic motives sounds like crazy talk. You must be one of those Meal Team Six people who show up at protests in full military gear. Hey, I get it, I don't like those guys either, but they're a pretty tiny minority of who is actually upset about all this. Most that I've seen are local small business owners who are getting completely hosed by this shutdown while Walmart and Amazon reap record profits.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,713 times
Quote:
PMost that I've seen are local small business owners who are getting completely hosed by this shutdown while Walmart and Amazon reap record profits.

Exactly, because COVID is a pin that popped a much bigger systemic wealth inequality/unfairness bubble that we've ignored for 40 years while we play patty cake slapfight over Rs and Ds and Ls and Cs. Meanwhile, that small biz was screwed sooner or later anyway. No cash or credit for a 2 mos downturn?! While trillions in play money swirl around Washington?! Someone needs better representation!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,523,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Exactly, because COVID is a pin that popped a much bigger systemic wealth inequality/unfairness bubble that we've ignored for 40 years while we play patty cake slapfight over Rs and Ds and Ls and Cs. Meanwhile, that small biz was screwed sooner or later anyway. No cash or credit for a 2 mos downturn?! While trillions in play money swirl around Washington?! Someone needs better representation!

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorry that the Democrats schlonged Bernie again.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 AM

874 posts, read 729,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Cuomo’s hand has been forced.

wow, construction is back.

how many more months do I have to wait to sit down and eat a meal at a restaurant again? because they claim long island is open I dont see any difference

Old 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Sorry that the Democrats schlonged Bernie again.
We'll all be sorry sooner or later. Probably sooner. "Healthcare for alllllll?!? But how willl we payyyyy fooorrrr itttttt....waaaahhhhh."

Simple, the Fed will click a few 1s and 0s on a computer and $750b will rain from the skies. Like now, except it would go to you and me and not Amazon and Walmart (per your previous post).

Frankly, I'm exhausted from all this #winning. Who knew #winning could suck so universally? Well, some of us did. While the geniuses w/ guns but no masks storm the capitol to get back the jobs that pay less than a little unemployment boost charity, the 1% quietly got much, much richer while I typed this. On our dime.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 05-27-2020 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
wow, construction is back.

how many more months do I have to wait to sit down and eat a meal at a restaurant again? because they claim long island is open I dont see any difference

I'd open a restaurant just to serve you a big tall glass of s*t*f*u!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island