Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I agree there is much still unknown about this virus, including duration of immunity as the virus is only a few months old. Covid 19's ability to be transmitted presymptomatically or assymptomatically is problematic and is the reason why social distancing and masking need to be done, particularly around NYC due to its large number of infected, population density etc. I can understand the absolute frustration of people living in areas that have been marginally affected by Covid being fed up with having to have gone through a lockdown for a small death count and the boredom of those living within our epicenter.

This virus needs to be respected. Not feared in a paranoid fashion, but not considered to be a nothing burger either. Proper infection control measures need to be continued prudently as we open up to prevent a resurgence in cases. 100K dead in under 3 months is nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

Dismissing this virus as just a nursing home virus is mistaken. Staff from nursing homes go home and infect their community. On LI many of the nursing home workers are minorities and live in the areas that have become our hot spots Central Islip, North Amityville, Hempstead etc.

Hopefully going forward we can micromanage outbreaks instead of nationwide shutdown and save the economy. Scientists have learned more about the virus and hopefully can be more effective in containing it and eventually curing it. Until then all we have is infection control protocols to prevent it from becoming uncontrolled again. Now is not the time to be cavalier and put us back into lockdown.
I don't know anyone who dismisses the virus as a "just a nursing home virus". At the same time about 42,000 of the 100,000 Covid-19 deaths (out of a US population of over 331,000,000) were residents of nursing homes. https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70

Another way of looking at the deaths: 42,000 of the 100,000 Covid-19 deaths (out of a US population of over 331,000,000) were from NY/NJ.

Perhaps when all is said and done the apolitical writings will set the story of Covid-19 deaths primarily in nursing homes and NY/NJ and will categorize actions in most US locales as overreactions.

(Perhaps off the topic but now that fewer and fewer long Islanders are dying with Covid-19 it seems harder and harder to get the Nassau/Suffolk daily death numbers.https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...-27-1.45013027)

Old 05-28-2020, 08:38 AM

226 posts, read 129,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're just dishonest. You have the gall to say I've presented no facts underneath a quote where I provided facts with references. No, they were not "estimates and predictions", they were measured numbers. It's everything you've presented that is estimates and predictions. Why are you providing a reference that would appear to be a rebuttal of my economic facts yet it talks about herd immunity and contains no economic facts at all. Dishonest.
Actually, you did provide an estimate. If you had bothered to actually follow up on your own Politico.eu source (or bothered to remember that US estimates get revised too), it linked to another Politico.eu article describing the 3.8% contraction in the Eurozone economy.

https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...first-quarter/

And what's the first sentence in that other article?

Quote:
The eurozone economy contracted a record 3.8 percent in an initial estimate for the first three months of the year compared with the previous quarter, according to the EU statistics office.
This is what happens with anti-intellectual people. Like you. You dismiss "experts" as hacks, except when they say something that fits your beliefs. So if the EU statistics office estimates that the Eurozone economy contracted by 3.8%, you believe it. It's a fact!

But if the Swedish central bank estimates that its economy will contract by 6.9 to 9.7% this year, bah, who cares about what some fake news "experts" say. It's just an estimate.

Quote:
The only thing that matters is how Swedes feel about it.
Funny. You keep saying this, but you don't want to acknowledge that your own source stated,

Quote:
So Swedes have been free to shop, eat at restaurants, go to the movies and get their hair cut by professionals. But the reality is, many have chosen not to. Swedes have a high level of trust in their authorities, surveys show, and many have heeded Tegnell’s advice to restrict movement and stay apart.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:52 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,046,310 times
I think NY is waiting for a bailout.

Would be nice if things could open up in a very controlled, slow manner.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
Everyone and their mother knows Cuomo and Blasio is expecting tons of money. I would crunch the numbers and only give what was truly warranted by Covid 19. And def not a bailout for their years of plss poor management!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I think NY is waiting for a bailout.

Would be nice if things could open up in a very controlled, slow manner.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Everyone and their mother knows Cuomo and Blasio is expecting tons of money. I would crunch the numbers and only give what was truly warranted by Covid 19. And def not a bailout for their years of plss poor management!
Funny, we pizz poor manage to run NYS (a "country" compared to some states), while STILL donating $10b plus to KY and MS and LA? Hmmmm. Maybe we should keep that money, since getting any of it back when WE NEED IT is somehow "begging for a bailout." Yeah, bail me out with MY money!! Don't bail out Citibank, Boeing or Amazon AT ALL!! Ooops, too late! We bailout McConnell EVERY YEAR but somehow self-loathing NYers think he knows what's best! Guy with the 47th worst State economy calls us badly managed and NYers buy into it! hahahahahahah Unreal.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 05-28-2020 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,152,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I agree there is much still unknown about this virus, including duration of immunity as the virus is only a few months old. Covid 19's ability to be transmitted presymptomatically or assymptomatically is problematic and is the reason why social distancing and masking need to be done, particularly around NYC due to its large number of infected, population density etc. I can understand the absolute frustration of people living in areas that have been marginally affected by Covid being fed up with having to have gone through a lockdown for a small death count and the boredom of those living within our epicenter.

This virus needs to be respected. Not feared in a paranoid fashion, but not considered to be a nothing burger either. Proper infection control measures need to be continued prudently as we open up to prevent a resurgence in cases. 100K dead in under 3 months is nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

Dismissing this virus as just a nursing home virus is mistaken. Staff from nursing homes go home and infect their community. On LI many of the nursing home workers are minorities and live in the areas that have become our hot spots Central Islip, North Amityville, Hempstead etc.

Hopefully going forward we can micromanage outbreaks instead of nationwide shutdown and save the economy. Scientists have learned more about the virus and hopefully can be more effective in containing it and eventually curing it. Until then all we have is infection control protocols to prevent it from becoming uncontrolled again. Now is not the time to be cavalier and put us back into lockdown.
I can agree with a lot of that. The next step is to actually say what the numbers identify, who is really at risk and try to predict hot spots using behaviors and demographics. Lizzo might like being morbidly obese but that is a group who is very high risk and shouldn’t be celebrated for loving their bodies. And that can start a very politically incorrect discussion. But at least those at risk can be identified and hopefully helped early.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765184

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...6214L820100302

Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
We are getting a bailout, it’s happening as is every other state red or blue it doesn’t matter. Is NY getting 60b like DickTater Cuomo wants. Hell no. Will red states get a higher avg per person than NY of course.

DO YKU CIVIV DUTY VOTE NO FOR ALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS!

Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I can agree with a lot of that. The next step is to actually say what the numbers identify, who is really at risk and try to predict hot spots using behaviors and demographics. Lizzo might like being morbidly obese but that is a group who is very high risk and shouldn’t be celebrated for loving their bodies. And that can start a very politically incorrect discussion. But at least those at risk can be identified and hopefully helped early.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765184

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...6214L820100302
True, better to be proactive instead of just reactive. One hypothesis I have read is regarding Vitamin D3 levels. It is very low in sick Covid patients and due to melanin in the skin, very low in dark skinned individuals. Could this be an additional factor in addition to socioeconomic factors and other biological factors that make Covid so deadly for our minority population?

While correlation certainly does not equal causation, wouldn't it be worthwhile to look further into this and see where the data goes? Imagine a cheap, safe prophylactic to help reduce risk for our most vulnerable population. That would be incredible and could save many lives.

I am optimistic for the future for 2 reasons. One is our scientific knowledge that is increasing every day particularly by the private sector, and the ingenuity of people. Businesses will find new ways to operate safely so they can keep customers safe and make profits.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Quote:
There's no vaccine for the common cold, either.
But there's been a rash of deaths all across the globe from the common cold right?

See sudden spike in infection/death rate -> face head-on... sounds legit.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
This is what happens with anti-intellectual people. Like you. You dismiss "experts" as hacks, except when they say something that fits your beliefs. So if the EU statistics office estimates that the Eurozone economy contracted by 3.8%, you believe it. It's a fact!

But if the Swedish central bank estimates that its economy will contract by 6.9 to 9.7% this year, bah, who cares about what some fake news "experts" say. It's just an estimate.
The article I cited presented it as completed data. When maroons, like you, like an estimate you parade it as evidence, as in this case to "show" that Sweden has suffered as much as anyone else when what they should say is they think that Sweden may turn out to suffer just as much. Some can understand the difference, some cannot. Btw, thanks for pointing out how the "experts" often revise their estimates.

Furthermore, it's a marathon not a sprint. The effectiveness of various strategies may not be known for years.

Following advice to socially distance is a far cry from being mandated to through enforcement of lockdowns. Surveys that show many people heed certain advice in no way justifies making such advice a law that everyone must obey under threat of punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island