Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:46 PM

13,072 posts, read 18,305,387 times

Advertisements

Just got to looking at this thread again and noticed there has not been a reply. Check out the very first post below made in Jan of 2009. Have to agree with CHALKITUP, a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieliza View Post
I hope this doesn't come off as a "general where should I live in California" thread.... but...

I'd like to know where to live in California. (This is my first post over here so go easy on me!)

Here are the details.

My fiance and I live in New York, Brooklyn to be exact. We are getting married next July (2010) and are looking to make a move shortly thereafter.

I am an ESL (English as a second language) teacher in a public elementary school in Brooklyn. Because of this, our first requirements are that the city we live in is:

1. Culturally Diverse -- I mean this in the most sincere way. I am NOT looking for a city that is "diverse", meaning, mostly black, or mostly latino, rather, a city that has a bit of many cultures, all encompassing if you will. I LOVE my current school in that I work with children from more than 20 different countries, with 10+ languages represented.

2. Culturally Accpeting -- I do not want to live in a place that is resentful towards their changing population. I LOVE culture and language, and am really sick and tired of having to defend that.

3. Liberal -- I need to be around liberal and progressive minded people.

4. Decent schools with a high demand for (ESL) teachers. I understand that bilingual education is outlawed in California (which, IMO, is really too bad) but I also understand that ESL (or, as I believe it is referred to, ELD) is acceptable, and the preferred method of teaching English. I work in Brooklyn, but at a pretty nice school. I am used to inner-city teaching, but don't want to end up in the scariest of places. Oh, and good teacher salary would be nice.

My fiance is currently not working, as he has a severe back injury, which leads me to the next requirement.

5. Good weather, not too rainy, not too cold. The number one reason for our move is to relocate to a place that won't aggravate his condition. Rain and cold weather aren't a good match for him, though, we are willing to compromise (SF Bay Area vs. San Diego) for the above requirements. Also, I'm a gardener, and am longing for year round flowers and freshly grown veggies.

We own 2 American Pit Bull Terriers. We love our dogs, and we love the breed. Bad Rap Pit Bull rescue makes me want to live in SF, but....
Our other requirements are:
6. Dog Friendly and no Breed Specific Legislation (ie. Mandatory muzzling of PBs in public). We would like either: dog beaches, dog trails, towns/cities that are dog friendly in general. Oh, and a back yard.

7. City-ish.We'd like to live somewhere urban-ish, but fairly safe. (My fiance doesn't want to live in a big city, and I don't want to live anywhere very rural....

8. Lastly, we'd like to be able to buy either a. land, or b. a good starter house, but are open to renting when we arrive to make sure we buy somewhere we'd definitely like to live.

My fiance is pushing for southern california, but is willing to compromise. The area's we've toyed with are: Berkeley/Oakland (if there are good neighborhoods in Oakland), SLO, Orange County, and Santa Barbara (but I know I'm dreaming).

Thoughts???

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 04:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,475,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
If college admissions is at the top:

Move out of state; i.e. your child will have a better chance of getting accepted to a desirable school in NY state if they live out of state.
Yes but if they go SUNY they wont get the in-state discount

Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 PM

22,764 posts, read 37,064,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes but if they go SUNY they wont get the in-state discount
No one from another state is desperate to go to a SUNY school. Trust me.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:28 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,916,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No one from another state is desperate to go to a SUNY school. Trust me.
Yeah, nobody would ever want to go to a school like Alfred, Maritime, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook, Downstate or Cornell. Trust me.

Sheesh.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:39 AM

22,764 posts, read 37,064,141 times
Cornell is a state school? LOL stop. No one from other states with great university systems wants to go to a SUNY school. Hmmm UVA, William and Mary, UNC, UCLA, U of Michigan or Geneso? I'm sure there are people who DO for whatever odd reason but overall, there's more outflow of Nyers than there is inflow for state schools.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:50 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,916,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Cornell is a state school? LOL stop. No one from other states with great university systems wants to go to a SUNY school. Hmmm UVA, William and Mary, UNC, UCLA, U of Michigan or Geneso? I'm sure there are people who DO for whatever odd reason but overall, there's more outflow of Nyers than there is inflow for state schools.
While you're LOLing in your ignorance, four colleges of Cornell University are indeed SUNY schools.

And yes, their applicants come from all over the world.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:42 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,387,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
While you're LOLing in your ignorance, four colleges of Cornell University are indeed SUNY schools.
Only under contract due to the original land grant. And not the big colleges Cornell is known for. And they aren’t “SUNY schools”, they are administrated by Cornell. All under Cornell.edu as well.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:49 AM

11,678 posts, read 12,825,095 times
Tuition for Out of State Students at SUNY is often lower than some In-State tuition for some other public colleges. Students will come from all over to study at FIT and Freedonia (very competitive for music). Cornell has 4 SUNY schools and I believe that they all charge the in-state tuition for NYS residents. Their agriculture school is one of the top schools in the US.

Last edited by Coney; 07-04-2020 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-04-2020, 06:11 PM

5,178 posts, read 4,036,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Tuition for Out of State Students at SUNY is often lower than some In-State tuition for some other public colleges. Students will come from all over to study at FIT and Freedonia (very competitive for music). Cornell has 4 SUNY schools and I believe that they all charge the in-state tuition for NYS residents. Their agriculture school is one of the top schools in the US.
Yes. The NYS College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University (graduate) is also VERY highly respected:

Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine, located in the Finger Lakes region, is part of The State University of New York. Established by an act of the state legislature in 1894, today the College of Veterinary Medicine is one of 30 veterinary colleges in the United States and one of only three in the Northeast.

https://www.suny.edu/campuses/cornell-vet/

(It is pretty well known that portions of Cornell are SUNY. This makes Cornell a rather unique Ivy.)

Old 07-04-2020, 07:30 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,259,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yeah, nobody would ever want to go to a school like Alfred, Maritime, Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook, Downstate or Cornell. Trust me.

Sheesh.
I get your sarcasm, but methinks it's a name recognition thing. Great state schools like those mentioned above (except Cornell, or Downstate by medical/nursing students) are unknown in the midwest, south and west. Many folks think NYU is the state university.
Just like we don't know about great schools like UC Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island