Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 05:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If I were to leave, I would miss:

Family
Beaches
not sure about pizza where I'm going

(hate bagels)
(schools/teachers are overrated, and we live in a good area)
(NYC is a zoo, had enough of it)
People, Pizza and Chinese Food. Those have always been what I say we miss. Not a huge bagel person but we might enjoy them once a month. We have found a bagel place that is pretty good and in fact were alerted it by every NY, or NJ person we met.

Trust me when I say that even you only enjoyed pizza twice a year on LI. You will not be a fan outside of NY. I think the water and for some reason outside of NY all kinds of strange cheese variants seem to find their way on to pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 05:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
People, Pizza and Chinese Food. Those have always been what I say we miss. Not a huge bagel person but we might enjoy them once a month. We have found a bagel place that is pretty good and in fact were alerted it by every NY, or NJ person we met.

Trust me when I say that even you only enjoyed pizza twice a year on LI. You will not be a fan outside of NY. I think the water and for some reason outside of NY all kinds of strange cheese variants seem to find their way on to pizza.
I actually think the further you go from NY, and especially to an area not known for pizza, the higher likelihood you will find a good place. Why? Because you'll get someone from NY or NJ opening it up and duplicating what they had. And there will be enough transplants and people seeking good pizza that they'll keep it in business.

The whole water thing can't be real, because NYC uses different water than LI. And there are many water districts on LI as well. Unless of course people are making pizza in Florida using their tap water, which generally tastes awful.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/new...r-bagels-pizza

Old 06-26-2020, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Others already hit the major reasons. That said, for many they leave right after college for a job especially if they have been schooled out of NYS, and never come back. However for many they are schooled nearby and start dating a local person and the draw of the family continues. Once grandies come into the picture that makes it more difficult for seniors to leave, especially if they have had a hand in raising them.

The other major reason is Health care or rather access to pretty much excellence in any field within a reasonable commute.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
My wife, kid and job. Period. Any of them leave (or hint at being willing), see ya, LI. I'll be gone so fast no door will have a swingers chance to hit my azz on the way out.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:04 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Mainly family and I love my job and my boss. My mom is 75 and my MIL is 80 so we stick around for them. My brother hightailed it out of NY in 1997 right after college and has never looked back. He was in Florida for awhile, then Chicago and now Ohio. He's married with 3 small kids. They moved to Ohio to be near her family and friends when they lived in Chicago there wasn't any family nearby.My husband would move tomorrow if he could and live remotely too LOL.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Mainly family and I love my job and my boss. My mom is 75 and my MIL is 80 so we stick around for them. My brother hightailed it out of NY in 1997 right after college and has never looked back. He was in Florida for awhile, then Chicago and now Ohio. He's married with 3 small kids. They moved to Ohio to be near her family and friends when they lived in Chicago there wasn't any family nearby.My husband would move tomorrow if he could and live remotely too LOL.
Islip is not a bad place imho to live. It's very nice.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you’ve eaten at every pizza and bagel place in those 9 states then I’d say you have an argument.

But if someone went to another state and ate Domino’s and Einstein bagels then not so much. Not saying you did, but outside of NY it takes some searching and often finding a local joint to get good stuff.
yup, ridiculous statement. There are plenty of ex pats making good pizza (and there's plenty of crap pizza in NY). And the water thing is ridiculous too - as someone said LI doesn't have same water supply as NYC and different water treatments across the Island. I was in GC a couple years ago and struck up a convo with some older ladies who had seen my car and asked about living in NC. Then they said they had a friend who moved to NC, opened a pizza place and IMPORTED THEIR WATER FROM NY. I about busted my gut trying not to laugh. This is making want pizza at 9 a.m. LOL

Bagels? More often than not in NY the bagels are crap, they are just bread with a hole in the middle and like eating a cotton ball. I'm not a bagel fan anyway, but when we want them we just go to Brueggers. My fave story of a poster on here is the guy who buys Brueggers for his NY friends and relatives when they come visit, puts them in a generic bag, and they rave about how great they are and where did he find a NYer making bagels here LOL.

Just had a conversation with my family about how we ended up on LI (my parents were not present) - my dad is from Manhattan and my parents lived in the Bronx when first married. We can't figure out how they ended up on LI, unless they just wanted the cheapest house they could find (they started in Levittown). It's also possible they wanted to be as far as possible from my mother's family in New England so ruled out Westchester and Connecticut.

Last edited by twingles; 06-26-2020 at 06:43 AM..

Old 06-26-2020, 06:50 AM

629 posts, read 962,046 times
Family. Born in Queens - Nassau county just seemed to be the most logical suburbian choice.

Interestingly enough, of me, my wife, my sister, her husband, my mom and my dad - none of us work in Manhattan.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
yup, ridiculous statement. There are plenty of ex pats making good pizza (and there's plenty of crap pizza in NY). And the water thing is ridiculous too - as someone said LI doesn't have same water supply as NYC and different water treatments across the Island. I was in GC a couple years ago and struck up a convo with some older ladies who had seen my car and asked about living in NC. Then they said they had a friend who moved to NC, opened a pizza place and IMPORTED THEIR WATER FROM NY. I about busted my gut trying not to laugh. This is making want pizza at 9 a.m. LOL

Bagels? More often than not in NY the bagels are crap, they are just bread with a hole in the middle and like eating a cotton ball. I'm not a bagel fan anyway, but when we want them we just go to Brueggers. My fave story of a poster on here is the guy who buys Brueggers for his NY friends and relatives when they come visit, puts them in a generic bag, and they rave about how great they are and where did he find a NYer making bagels here LOL.

Just had a conversation with my family about how we ended up on LI (my parents were not present) - my dad is from Manhattan and my parents lived in the Bronx when first married. We can't figure out how they ended up on LI, unless they just wanted the cheapest house they could find (they started in Levittown). It's also possible they wanted to be as far as possible from my mother's family in New England so ruled out Westchester and Connecticut.
Yup, yup.

NY pizza aint what it was anyway. The magic water is chem-treated very differently now than then so that point is silly like you said and the processed cheeses of today are NOT the mozz they used to use. Dough is pretty much dough and crusts are what separates the pizza chef from the dominos worker.

My son and I still needle my wife, the "NY pizza rules" person that the best pizza we've had in years was on vacation outside Massanutten, VA. lol Of course, the owner was an expat NY'er!! My son and I say "boy, we sure could go for some of that awesome Virginia pizza" and watch steam come out of her ears! lol

I must say though, pizza is one of my kid's (ok, and ours) main food groups, so during the lockdown, I'd curbside pickup a few pies at a time and we'd freeze the slices. It does make for some luxurious frozen pizza. Beats the holy heck outta celeste and digiornos.! lol

Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
I agree with the others. I was born and raised in Queens and moved just over the Nassau border when I got married 26 years ago. My elderly infirmed parents are here and it would be too hard to manage them from far away. My kids are early 20's and their job situation was hurt by the pandemic so they are not able to pay for their own housing currently.

Eventually before I get put in the ground I would like to leave here and go to a cheaper, less populated area. I am self employed with no pension and would like to go to an area where my savings would go a bit farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island