Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 06:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm gonna be the Debbie Downer here, but bagels are full of excessive refined carbs which is why the average american is morbidly obese. And COVID kills fat people.
Don't eat 10 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 06:41 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Bagels are the one food I eat that I have a blood sugar crash an hour later and get super crabby. I am ALWAYS sorry when I eat one. When I do eat them I scoop out the inside.

My fave CD story is the LI ex pat who buys Bruegger's Bagels and gives them to his visiting NY friends and they say "wow you DID find great bagels here!".

Everyone thinks they are a foodie nowadays. Aside from Papa John's and Domino's if you served most people a bagel, pizza or Chinese from just about anywhere they'd not be able to tell the difference. #fact.

But I agree with pec, no one is staying for pizza, bagels and Chinese (although right behind the schools, people usually mention these....ahead of family LOL).

And no, I don't expect (nor do I want) anyone to leave their good job on LI. Especially someone like roc who grew up elsewhere and is using LI and its proximity to NYC for all its advantages with no plans to stay. Get in, get out, enjoy retirement.
As most know, ex NY'er, physically, but will always be a NY'er in my heart.

In De, we have found no Chinese that we like. One is close to passable, but I am not spending $$ for just passable food. We have found no pizza that we think is as good as NY . That said, there is one place a retired NY fireman is the owner who makes a decent pizza. The bagel place is advertised as a NY bagel and we heard about them from neighbors from NY. They are as good as any I have had in NY. Now, as a result of the above we have Chinese only when we go home, Pizza maybe 4 times a year. We get a bagel maybe once a month.

To the OP, if we were blessed with kids, we probably would have stayed on LI provided they lived locally. More and more our families are leaving. I no longer have any immediate family there. DH still does, but some have left. There are cousins on both sides remaining on LI, for family reasons.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Those look like fancy ROLLS. Those are not real bagels.
Bet you a million bucks they are baked not boiled. Lol

Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Actually aren't bagels boiled, then baked?

Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
They are not, you can see it. There's alot of fake bagels on LI too.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Actually aren't bagels boiled, then baked?
The bagel trolling is strong in this thread.

My local ones are hand rolled, then kettle boiled, then baked. I actually went to get one this morning. Everything flagel toasted with egg and cheese. Tasty. My son had an egg bagel with plain, and it was a good schmear.

They’re not quite as good as the best NY bagels I’ve ever eaten, but they are right in line with the average NY bagel place that I used to go to.

But I’ll admit that if my local place - which is 15 minutes away - didn’t exist, the other options are pretty pitiful.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:26 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
They are not, you can see it. There's alot of fake bagels on LI too.
Yep plenty of crappy bagel places here too. Agreed those look like baked rolls.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Don't eat 10 of them.

Even 1 daily bagel will increase your risk for obesity, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, etc.
Just look at all the rolls of fat at the beach/pool.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:
Even 1 daily bagel will increase your risk for obesity, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, etc.
Then don't eat one on a daily basis. I only indulge maybe once every 3 months.

If you think New Yorkers are obese, you should see what the people are like down south where they don't even have decent bagels.

There are lots of mediocre places here, but I've never had a good bagel in another state in any region of the US, but I haven't visited all of the states, yet.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
OK, don't eat one a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island