Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 05:55 AM

190 posts, read 152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I saw a video (about 10 states with declining populations) which said 2/3 of people moving to NY are foreigners. These people coming here just don't know better if I had to bet.

the streets of nyc are paved in gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 06:02 AM

190 posts, read 152,710 times
Hard to find a good Jamaican restaurant in Suffolk.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
Hard to find a good Jamaican restaurant in Suffolk.

Not in Suffolk, but the best Jamaican food I ever ate (including food in actual Jamaica) is Coal House Grill in Baldwin.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:49 PM

66 posts, read 45,878 times
"What makes Long Island Worth it"?

Let's see:

Crazy High housing prices on old small houses.
Crazy High property Taxes
High utility rates
Very old infrastructure
Very rude people who don't know how to drive
Cold Winters with snow

All that for the benefit of using a beach for just 3 months a year and some pizza and bagels?

Absolutely nothing!!!!

Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post

Let's see:

High utility rates
Very old infrastructure
Cold Winters with snow

All that for the benefit of using a beach for just 3 months a year and some pizza and bagels?

Absolutely nothing!!!!
The traditional answers were always family and proximity to NYC. The bloom is off the rose a bit for that second point but the first is still valid for many.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Not in Suffolk, but the best Jamaican food I ever ate (including food in actual Jamaica) is Coal House Grill in Baldwin.
I just went on their website to check out the menu, and I am thrilled to see so many vegan options (vegan wings, vegan chicken, vegan butterfly shrimp)! Thanks for the recommendation. I am definitely going to try it!

Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post

Let's see:

High utility rates
Very old infrastructure
Cold Winters with snow

Absolutely nothing!!!!
Sorry, but there is a lot more to Long Island than 3 months of beach and a couple of local food specialties. The proximity of Long Island to everything that NY has to offer is not to be discounted (of course, not currently). A train ride to see Broadway plays, any type of cultural event you can think of, any type of museum you might be interested in, restaurants serving foods of every ethnicity... On Long Island itself, there are parks, kayaking, whale/seal/dolphin watching, vineyards... there's just so much at our fingertips. If all you see is what you listed, then you're missing out.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Hah LI sucks! Nice place for paycheck to paycheck players to fancy themselves 1 percenters 'cause they have a low HELOC rate and their 401k went up a bit. Whatever we have to tell ourselves to justify it. 8 more years, baby! 8 more effin years!!

Old 09-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Hah LI sucks! Nice place for paycheck to paycheck players to fancy themselves 1 percenters 'cause they have a low HELOC rate and their 401k went up a bit. Whatever we have to tell ourselves to justify it. 8 more years, baby! 8 more effin years!!
Is there something wrong with people living paycheck to paycheck and still enjoying life as best they can in the moment? I get it -- you hate Long Island -- but no need to insult the people.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 PM

268 posts, read 176,981 times
You have the beaches, you have parks, you have fishing, you have the greatest city in the world(well, maybe not right now, but you get the point) with Broadway shows, sporting events (Knicks/Rangers) museums, great shopping, amazing restaurants/bars, etc, you have Citi Field, Yankee stadium, Roosevelt Field mall, endless restaurants of all kinds, the best pizza/Italian food in the country, the best bagels in the country, driving distance to other nice spots like Philly, Atlantic City, Mohegan Sun, Boston, Maryland, Maine, DC, Hoboken, etc. Driving distance to good hikes in the upstate areas (i.e. Catskills). Vineyards or Montauk if that's your thing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island