Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM

220 posts, read 1,118,991 times

Advertisements

I've read on this forum a number of times that if you want to live in Huntington, try to be in a neighboring SD. I'm interested to hear why people say this. What are the bad things in the Huntington schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,154 times
I substitute teach at the HS and a I'm the mother of a student who is there now as well as the mother of a student who went through the school system before her. I can look on the inside more than most because I've been at the HS, Finley and Huntington Intermediate Substitute Teaching. I'm still trying to figure out why people say what they do. The kids themselves are fantastic. They are all so friendly with eachother because few people ever leave this town once they move here and everyone knows everyone my older daughters classmates are the brothers and sisters of my younger daughter's classmates. The programs are varied and the kids participate in everything from Plays to Sports to Habitat for Humanity and other extracirracular activies of which there are MANY. They have put lots of money into the outside of the school recently --sports field etc and are starting on the inside now, auditoriam etc. Teachers are happy and love their work, I know that...I sit in the teachers lunch lounge with them. There are so many AP and Honors classes because there are so many smart children and new ones open constantly. I have NEVER seen a gang or gang member (though I keep hearing about them from those that don't live here!) The worst thing about Huntington SD is the people who assume but have never stepped foot inside the school. There is no racism...the kids all accept eachother. There are kids that 'come-out' in the 6th grade and say they are gay and none of the kids seem to judge them. It's a very diversified town with many cultures and many people of different economic status. I drive my child to friend's houses with mansions one day and the next day I'm driving her to another friend who lives in an apartment building in Huntington Station. All the kids seem to work and want to work --they work in town whether they are rich kids, poor kids or middle class kids. When there is a parade or a festival you see EVERYONE in town participate, both adults and children, rich and poor.

Huntington is lovely, the schools are wonderful and I feel VERY LUCKY to have had my children go through the school system! we just attended 'college night' and the place was P A C K E D..... The list on the wall with the kids who have been accepted to colleges is P A C K E D with names.

and they have the best website around Huntington Public Schools - News

Last edited by GigiBowman; 05-06-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Some reading:

Assembly crime panel meets in Huntington Station -- themorningcall.com

embers of the Assembly Republican Task Force on Crime in Our Communities convened in Huntington Station yesterday on the latest stop of a statewide tour aimed at finding out about issues facing communities.

Panel members heard that more school-based police resource officers are a top need on Long Island. Such officers, who work as liaisons between the police and schools, also offer mentoring and intervention to students. The Huntington and South Huntington school districts share one officer.

"The number one issue we heard today was the need for school resource officers," said Assemb. James Conte (R-Huntington Station), host of the event. "I saw here today that the Suffolk and Nassau county police departments may need some state help to provide for school resource officers in our local districts."

The panel also discussed ways to address gang violence, illegal drug use, underage drinking and sex offenders moving into neighborhoods.

The meeting, at the library in Huntington Station, attracted Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey, Assemb. Andrew Raia (R-East Northport) and a host of community leaders.

Assemb. David McDonough (R-Merrick), co-chairman of the task force, said its mission is to find out from parents, police and school officials what issues they consider important. "The issue of crime in our communities is growing," he said. "A lot of people have their head in the sand and don't think there are gang problems, alcohol problems. We have to find out what is happening."

The task force has been touring the state for two years and will issue a report on its findings.

Mulvey said the forum accomplished its goal of sharing information with people who can take action and make changes. "You take one step at a time," Mulvey said, "because you learn a lot when you go around the table and hear from other people."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epoch Times | Not Just Tough Talk on Suburban Predators
LONG ISLAND, NY—Assemblyman James Conte has been leading the way in the fight against gangs and other suburban predators on Long Island for at least 15 years.

His first gang awareness discussion presented at Huntington High School was met with disbelief that gangs had anything to do with the affluent North Shore community.

Met with comments such as "I don't know how this is going to affect my child," he explained that gang activity was taking place in the very schools their children attended.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://town.huntington.ny.us/newsdetails.cfm?id=426
Youth gangs are on the rise in Suffolk County, especially in Huntington Station, and cooperation between all levels of government, law enforcement and the community is absolutely essential to recognize the signs of gang activity and subsequently report it.

Last edited by newtoli; 05-06-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM

40 posts, read 176,103 times
Interesting, Gigi. I was wondering the same thing and it is great to hear and inside (and very positive) perspective. It's really encouraging for us as we are thinking of moving to the downtown Huntington area. Can you also share any downsides to the SD? We all know that every school district has both its positives and negatives and it would be great to get a balanced discussion going.

newtoli--from what I get from your post this is an article about a statewide tour of various communities. Everyone knows that no community is immune to problems like drugs, underage drinking and crime. What exactly does this prove, though, about the Huntington SD? I think that it is good that there is awareness of potential problems in all communities and that there is a task force to investigate possible reasons for making changes.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceskykrumlov View Post
Interesting, Gigi. I was wondering the same thing and it is great to hear and inside (and very positive) perspective. It's really encouraging for us as we are thinking of moving to the downtown Huntington area. Can you also share any downsides to the SD? We all know that every school district has both its positives and negatives and it would be great to get a balanced discussion going.

newtoli--from what I get from your post this is an article about a statewide tour of various communities. Everyone knows that no community is immune to problems like drugs, underage drinking and crime. What exactly does this prove, though, about the Huntington SD? I think that it is good that there is awareness of potential problems in all communities and that there is a task force to investigate possible reasons for making changes.

Anyone else care to chime in?
I'm quoting 3 articles specific to Huntington Station Schools. "gang activity was taking place in the very schools their children attended. " You might want to click the links to read on further. If you would like to do a google search, "Huntington Station" +gangs +school. Just presenting facts related to the school district as OP requested.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Yes, a conference that took place in Huntington referring to 'Long Island'. At least Huntington/Huntington South does something to work on their school system. Everyone is very aware.

Their next meeting on this issue:
Assemblyman Leader James Tedisco created the Task Force on Crime in Our Community. The next forum is scheduled for May 22 in Schenectady.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM

220 posts, read 1,118,991 times
Which schools (elem, middle, and high) do Huntington Station and downtown Huntington (Huntington Village) share? Do children who live in Huntington Station go to the same high school as those in downtown Huntington -- I guess it's called Huntington High School? What about elementary school? Is there an overlap?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Just presenting the other side of the coin, and the reasons why many people say to avoid the school districts.

$94,000 to combat gangs in Huntington Station - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

ok, the bad:

There are two teachers completely dedicated to teaching Illegal Immigrant children who do not speak a word of English. I subbed these classes a few times.....and though the kids are sweet it bothered me that they got free breakfast, free lunch, two dedicated teachers (what is the salary of those two teachers?) and they are not in this country legally so they have expressed living with fear (in the last school newspaper, one girl wrote an article about having the police come to their home to take their father away for being here without a visa). It's sad.....but why do we allow this to happen? Are these people paying school taxes that two teachers are dedicated to teaching them with tax payer money?

There are quite a few kids in the school --because of "no child left behind" that appear to be over 18 and are still in the school because they could not graduate. This is a federal problem. We need to stop this program.

There are like 4 security guys in the high school to keep kids from leaving the school or cutting. (but isnt' this in every school? I remember this when I was growing up myself in High School).

There are many children of color and many children of other nationalities. If that bothers you, then know that this is a reality.

I am on the drug & alcohol committee in the school district. We get together and try and come up with ways to thwart this in the Jr & Sr. High Schools. We've come up with pretty creative things like having the kids and parents sign contracts that they will not drink or take drugs before attending the prom or the homecoming. (isnt' this a problem in all schools?)

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
There are quite a few kids in the school --because of "no child left behind" that appear to be over 18 and are still in the school because they could not graduate. This is a federal problem. We need to stop this program.
What exactly is the problem with that? My brother is graduating at age 20 this year. It is a MONUMENTAL success for him. He struggled with learning disabilities growing up and was in a special ed school and left back one year, and then mainstreamed into regular high school and graduated a year late. I am very proud of him for this success.

What exactly do you propose? Should students be automatically passed or kicked out of HS once they reach a certain age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island