Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,974 times

Advertisements

My mother recently bought a co-op in Great Neck and I have since fell in love with the neighborhood. Anytime I mention wanting to move our family there I get told not to because the Jewish community isn’t at all welcoming and we would basically feel like outsiders within our own community. How true is this? We have been looking in Manhasset and Port previously but there is literally nothing on the market. Where as Great Neck specifically North has more to offer. Any insight into Great Neck North would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 06:50 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Yes. They are very intolerant. You and your family would probably feel uncomfortable.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:15 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
I'm in East Hills/Roslyn SD, and the Jews here are perfectly welcoming. Any snobbery is due to North Shore wealth/classism and nothing to do with being Jewish. That being said, PW is probably the least snobby and most communal of the 3 towns you mentioned. The rich asians in great neck (particularly the new money from china, not the Americanized asians) can be snobby too.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm in East Hills/Roslyn SD, and the Jews here are perfectly welcoming. Any snobbery is due to North Shore wealth/classism and nothing to do with being Jewish. That being said, PW is probably the least snobby and most communal of the 3 towns you mentioned. The rich asians in great neck (particularly the new money from china, not the Americanized asians) can be snobby too.
The snobbyness I’m expecting anywhere on the north shore. I’m more worried that my kids won’t be invited over for play dates or make any friends because they’re not Jewish. This is specifically what I’m hearing but I don’t want to believe because 1. The houses are so pretty and 2. Because I bring my kids to the playgrounds there all the time and have never not felt included. But again it might be different if I’m living next door. We are Greek Orthodox and know we’ll be the minority almost everywhere. I just don’t want to be shunned. Lol

Old 01-09-2021, 11:11 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
You should be fine. If anything, the Persians and the Greeks share a lot of common foods.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:36 AM

983 posts, read 724,605 times
Quote:
I’m more worried that my kids won’t be invited over for play dates or make any friends because they’re not Jewish.
I would be more concerned about the fact that there's a big Iranian population on the northern part of Great Neck. Yes, they're jewish, but it wouldn't be that what would make you feel like an outsider. Culturally, they're still very middle eastern. The kids are not though. They are getting very Americanized I believe.

Ashkenazi jews in the area are pretty much like any other american and your kids, whether they're black, white, catholic...They would make friends just fine with them.
I didn't see snobbism like I see in Roslyn. There's a lot of "new rich" though, with cheese expensive cars and new mac mansions, which in my opinion is not good for the preservation of the cute old Great Neck.

If you go to the park and your kids are having fun with other kids, there's no reason to think they won't be invited.

However, I lived in Great Neck for 4 years (no kids), 2 blocks south of the train station.
What made me fill like an outsider was the stores very quickly turning into Chinese stores. The change happened very fast. Coming back from the city every day was bizarre. Like being in a different country at times. That's something to consider.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:01 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes. They are very intolerant. You and your family would probably feel uncomfortable.
I don't find that to be true. I worked there for 2 years and was welcomed by the Asian and Jewish community.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:52 AM

81 posts, read 67,963 times
I have a cousin that moved to Great Neck in an apartment complex north of Northern Boulevard. He's catholic and he's been loving it so far so you should be fine.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:05 PM

131 posts, read 332,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM923 View Post
The snobbyness I’m expecting anywhere on the north shore. I’m more worried that my kids won’t be invited over for play dates or make any friends because they’re not Jewish. This is specifically what I’m hearing but I don’t want to believe because 1. The houses are so pretty and 2. Because I bring my kids to the playgrounds there all the time and have never not felt included. But again it might be different if I’m living next door. We are Greek Orthodox and know we’ll be the minority almost everywhere. I just don’t want to be shunned. Lol
Try looking in Garden City. Good # of Greeks there.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM923 View Post
I'm asian and my parents moved us from Queens to GN when I was in the 5th grade. Invited to more Bar Mitzfahs than I care for. As adult now in the Roslyn SD, my kids went to pre school at the Jewish temples here, and all there friends are Jews (who tell them santa doesn't exist). Li Jews don't care if you are not a chosen one, even the persian Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island