Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 PM

19 posts, read 17,506 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data,

I am new to this forum. Hope I can get some helps from here.

I am single and looking for buying a house in town of Hempstead. I have been seeing Open houses in the past few months and have seen some of the houses are posted as potential mother-daughters house, which equips with two kitchens. Some of the home owners told they have proper permit in place. I have also told by some of the seller agents that TOH has legalized the rental.

My question is if I could purchase one of these houses and potentially renting out one of the floor legally? Have anyone apply the rental permit in town of Hempstead and if it is easy to get? Since I will be living by myself, it would be too big of a place to live by myself anyway. I do intend to have my parents live with me few years down the road when they retire.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 04:57 AM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
In TOH, Mother-Daughter is only valid for immediate family relations and no full separation between living spaces is permitted. The owner submits a renewal application with affidavit of who will be occupying the dwelling and that everyone is family. Owner must live in the home as primary residence. Renewal is every 3 years and initial permit requires Board of Zoning Appeals approval.

Similar in design is Senior Residence which allows a secondary unit of 800 sq ft maximum which can be rented to any party. One unit must be owner-occupied and the owner must be at least 62 years of age. Similar affidavit. Renewal period is 2 years but does not require Board of Zoning appeals approval.

A third situation is to apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a true two-family home. This has much lower chance of approval. Anything else is a non-permitted apartment.

Realtors advertise this way so that the current owner can potentially save the cost and effort of removing the apartment themselves and seek a higher selling cost. Make sure you qualify for one of the two situations before making an offer.

Also be aware that the Mother-Daughter or Senior Residence grant expires upon transfer of title and you will be required to apply as a new owner. The grant does not run with the land.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:31 PM

19 posts, read 17,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
In TOH, Mother-Daughter is only valid for immediate family relations and no full separation between living spaces is permitted. The owner submits a renewal application with affidavit of who will be occupying the dwelling and that everyone is family. Owner must live in the home as primary residence. Renewal is every 3 years and initial permit requires Board of Zoning Appeals approval.

Similar in design is Senior Residence which allows a secondary unit of 800 sq ft maximum which can be rented to any party. One unit must be owner-occupied and the owner must be at least 62 years of age. Similar affidavit. Renewal period is 2 years but does not require Board of Zoning appeals approval.

A third situation is to apply to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a true two-family home. This has much lower chance of approval. Anything else is a non-permitted apartment.

Realtors advertise this way so that the current owner can potentially save the cost and effort of removing the apartment themselves and seek a higher selling cost. Make sure you qualify for one of the two situations before making an offer.

Also be aware that the Mother-Daughter or Senior Residence grant expires upon transfer of title and you will be required to apply as a new owner. The grant does not run with the land.
Thank you for this great info and advise!

Old 02-07-2021, 10:05 PM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post

you have it summed up for him in detail. Does that also apply to NYC or the rules are different in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island