Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 AM

146 posts, read 840,982 times

Advertisements

I'm really having a tough time making a decision on a house. My wife absolutely loves an attached unit in Roslyn Heights (Roslyn Schools). I'd prefer to opt for a single-family home in another town (Albertson, Mineola, NHP). I understand that schools are not as good, but that is not currently a major factor for us.

The thought of shared walls and a not-very-private backyard isn't very appealing. However, from an economic standpoint, we'll pay approx $100k less - making us economically, much more comfortable.

Any thoughts of other pros/cons?

Is an attached house an investment with a much lower ceiling?

Help! We're VERY conflicted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 AM

76 posts, read 186,102 times
Cons: If you and your neighbors do not get along, good luck
Cons: Although the walls are pretty well insulated for noise and whatnot, you still need to be mindful .. "Am I making too much noise.. "

Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
We grew up in a semi detatched home (ireland) and while it was ok, I wouldnt do it again. We had no choice then but its funny, all my siblings and I live in detatched homes now.

I am sure the younger homes are better built.

dorothy

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
It depends on the construction of the houses, and will you be under a HOA type deal with rules and regulations? That would be a dealbreaker for me.

The houses on my street are so close together right now, I might as well be living in an attached house!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,551,999 times
I prefer dettached housing and I alway wonder if my attached neighbor smokes in bed!

I think its harder to sell attached housing.

Newer units are built better and safer.

Will anyone be above you?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 PM

No one above or below - just side by side. The attached home was built in 1928 - if that's any help. I haven't heard any noise the few times I've visited. Also, there's no type of board or ruling body - each home is individually owned - just like a single-family home.

The location is good: great schools, close to LIRR (but far enough), close to L.I.E. (but far enough), etc. And like I said, we'll pay around $100k less than a standalone home...

Here's the location:

http://tinyurl.com/6ynwdt

Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times
Personally, I'm not the attached type. I see some of those attached homes in Queens (along the LIE) and the ones that jump out are the ones where the neighbors did NOT share the same taste in color or styles. BLECH nothing worse than two different, opposing schemes on an attached house.

Your new potential neighbor might be at work (or sleeping) when you're present. Who knows what they do when they are home and awake? Polka parties? Mariacchi music? Group revivial meetings?

I have lots of room between my neighbors and I. Having grown up in Nassau, living lined up like headstones in Arlington, I couldn't take the uniformity and close proximity of the older developments. I fled

Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM

659 posts, read 2,519,302 times
Honestly,

If you could afford a regular home, why would you choose attached housing... even if it is nice? It is almost like renting (ie: noise level, not having your own personal yard space, possible regulations to what you can do to the place).

Also, I do believe the resale value is not nearly that of regular homes. Attached homes and townhouses do not appreciate as quickly as well. It may be cheaper now, but that is for a reason...it's not as much as an investment. You could take what you like about the attached home and upgrade the regular home you find to look like it.

Although Roslyn is a great area, longterm, many of the other areas you are considering are nice too.

FYI: Out of all of my friends that were househunting in the past 2 years, the only couple that considered attached housing was the couple that couldn't afford a regular home.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree. We can "afford" both - but the attached option comes down to more breathing room for us (about $600 a month in a mortgage payment). Plus, another advantage to the attached home is that since it is smaller, with fewer windows, electric/fuel costs should be lower...

The answer should be simple, but it's not.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
Have you lived in apartments before? Is there an HOA? Have you seen the neighbors? Would your mortgage payment be really tight on the house rather than the attached house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island