Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 872 times

Advertisements

We are ready to make the move out of NYC and we are looking at school districts that have enrichment programs and can accommodate gifted/accelerated students.

We are looking at East Williston because of the proximity to LIE (one parent would have to commute to the city). Anyone knows if there are resources for gifted students?

From the demographics, it seems that the schools are quite diverse but it seems to be a very small SD with one elementary, one middle school and one high school. I guess that means that all the students move together through the grades and they all know each other. If anyone has children in this SD, can you tell me if it is common to have new students and how welcoming the school and the community is?

Thank you all very much! This forum has been very informative!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 02:51 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,165,309 times
My sister resided there until 2 years ago and I was in a neighboring district. It is a fabulous district and they do have a gifted and talented program. I would say it is very common to have new students in the district as it has always been know to be an excellent district. Years ago I substituted there for quite a while, and I did not find the students to be unfriendly at all. Of course, much time has passed and that could have changed. It would be worth your while to call Dr. Kanas (Superintendent) and speak with her. She will be retiring at the end of the year, but she is a real sweetheart (and an impressive woman) and I know she will be very helpful answering your questions.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 872 times
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! This is an excellent idea! I will try to get in contact with Dr Kanas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island