Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 02:57 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,688,687 times

Advertisements

Hi. Whats the best bank/CU to apply for an auto loan to buyout our lease.

TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 03:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,203,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Hi. Whats the best bank/CU to apply for an auto loan to buyout our lease.

TIA
Often credit unions have better rates for auto loans, especially if you're a current customer.

Have you checked with your current financing company? I've had good rates from them when buying out my lease - much depends on your credit.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Often credit unions have better rates for auto loans, especially if you're a current customer.

Have you checked with your current financing company? I've had good rates from them when buying out my lease - much depends on your credit.
Chrysler Capital is the current financing company, who sent me to openroadlending.com.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:04 PM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

be careful with any thing you get from a credit union ..unlike most banks , credit union loans and credit cards have a hidden gotcha few realize .

the cross collateralization used by many credit unions can be quite a shocker to those who don't read or understand the differences between a bank and a credit union.

When you take out a loan to buy a large item, such as a car, you give the lender a security interest in the item. This means that if you don't make your loan payments, the lender can take the item and sell it to satisfy the debt.

When you borrow money from a credit union to buy something, the loan agreement usually contains a clause that says that not only is the property collateral for the loan you're obtaining to buy it, but it will also be collateral for any other loans you take out through the credit union. That includes credit cards and personal loans.

you buy a car by taking out a loan from your credit union. The loan agreement for your car loan contains a cross-collateralization clause. you later open a credit card account with that credit union and uses it to pay for some vacations.

After three years, you pay off your car loan, but you still have a balance due on your credit card.
you lose your job and stop making your credit card payments. The credit union can repossess your car and sell it to pay the credit card debt.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:37 PM

@mathjak107 - Thanks for the insight. I am sure in our case cross-collateralization will not be an issue.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:38 PM

186 posts, read 111,395 times
That is a good point about the cross collateralization, or right to offset, at credit unions. I have a lease through Jovia attached to an account with $5 in it and I do my other banking elsewhere.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:28 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,187,474 times
I bought out my lease and used Bethpage Credit Union. All their rates and calculators are in their website. Was happy with them.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:42 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,346,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
That is a good point about the cross collateralization, or right to offset, at credit unions. I have a lease through Jovia attached to an account with $5 in it and I do my other banking elsewhere.
They are the stupidest lender I have ever dealt with! They had by far the lowest mortgage rate with no fees or points and gave me a lender credit. Got same crap account with $5. There loan portal looks like a drunk 8 yr coded it in 1997. I can’t redo my auto payment until June because I want it on the first and I can’t select it cause weekends are blacked out!l and may 1 is a Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island