Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Your yard is too large an area to try and mouse proof seeing they can go over, under or through fencing. You could establish a feral cat colony but that comes with its own problems. Notify the town of your neighbors yard condition and the conditions you observed, get those bait boxes like you see at public restaurant dumpsters and place them along the perimeter of the property near the fence no reason to attract them near your house. Good Luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 05:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasForce View Post
Hello all, this summer we discovered that the house we bought last year has a little rodent issue, aka field mice or whatever else they call them. My backyard has old wood fence on 3 sides, 3 neighbors. The neighbor on the right is aware of the situation and they have told me they take precautions by spraying the surrounding perimeter and their fence with repellant. The neighbors on the back center I have not talked too.
The neighbors on the left are an old couple that like to feed wild birds, you see where I'm going I hope. Originally we thought that it was an area issue so I started cleaning everything I had in my backyard and try to maintain the backyard clean. I started using repellant which didn't do anything. Then I fortified the fence of my right neighbor with thin wood planks and will do the center and left part of the fence next. We did get an exterminator and that was a waste of $500.

One day we went over at the backyard of the left neighbors, the old couple. And as we were talking, mice were walking and running all over their yard going from their old shed to their neighbors then back to the shed. I noticed a lot of "holes" around their wooden deck and shed. The whole place looked like it was infested. Meanwhile when we first told them they denied it now that we have mentioned it many times and been in their yard they don't deny it. When we told them that the bird food they use attracts mice if not cleaned they didn't take that well and said they like their birds.

I'm now seeing activity in my yard, holes on the ground near the fence etc. In the future I will replace the fence with some material other than wood but for now what are my options? The mice are only outside in their yard but pass through our yard by digging under the fences. We have 2 little kids that want to play in the yard but we haven't let them out much because we don't like they to leave the door accidentally while going in and put and risk a mouse going in the house.

Is there some town agency that will help with this? Am I alone on this fight we the mice? This is in Merrick by the way.
I hope someone out there has some good feedback for me, I appreciate your assistance on this.
We must share the same neighbor

Old 06-26-2022, 12:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
This guy does entertaining videos with mouse traps. It's amazing how even the simple bucket ones work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clTq6Gzm0SA

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:04 PM

37 posts, read 26,281 times
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I got the Victor mouse traps, the old school ones. I set them up along the fence and caught 5 mice in 1 week! I was catching one of them every day or every other day. I have caught in total about 7 or 8 now, lost count. The 1st 5 were big, the last 2 I caught were little ones. The neighbor must have seen I was all worked up about it and looks like he started to use traps or poison too because they told me they also found a dead one. For the past 3-4 days I have not seen any activity at all. I did also purchase the black boxes that you lock the poison inside . Found a deal on Amazon and was just delivered 2 days ago. I have no set these traps as well and loaded them with the green poison bars.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Poison does wonders.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:47 AM

401 posts, read 945,162 times
One year, I thought it would be nice to feed the birds outside of my window so I could watch while I worked. Well, I quickly found out that was not a good idea. Within a week, rats began congregating with the birds on the ground, catching the seed that fell out of the feeder. Neighbors began seeing them. I quickly removed the feeder. I called the health department and they explained that rats live in the ground. They don't usually come into the house. They are opportunist, so anything left out to eat, they will go for it. At the time, I had three dogs. The rats could have cared less. Once the source of food was gone, so were the rats. My guess is the bird feeder is the source. Have someone from the health department explain the issue to the couple. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 PM

185 posts, read 110,310 times
I don’t ever put food in my bird feeder between April to November. If you do, you will have rats or mice. I don’t know if mice hibernate, but I’ve never seen any in the winter months.

OP, if you got a small terrier and let it outside each day, I doubt you would have a rodent problem anymore.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Don't bother mice can climb. Save the money.
Fencing to keep out or at least severely deter rodents can work if right sort and done properly.

Base for several feet upwards and few feet down must be of a sold but hard smooth material.

Rats and mice can easily climb brick, cinderblock and other surfaces with coarse surfaces. Thus you want something smooth at least last "mile" or so upwards so even if rodent starts climbing up they cannot get hold further up. Without ability to gain traction, they cannot climb further.

https://www.pig333.com/articles/crea...h-tiles_14447/

Alternatively nongalvanized or galvanized and/or stainless steel wire mesh can work if started several feet below ground, then after several feet upwards topped off with a wide band of sheet metal can work as well.

https://extensionpublications.unl.ed...uild/g1530.htm

Old 08-15-2022, 10:24 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,645,311 times
If there is a consistent food source all year long, the rodents won't migrate away. Once the source is gone for good, they will move on searching for another source.

The source could be something like a compost heap, bird feeder, or some do-gooder who thinks they're helping the wild life by maybe throwing out kitchen scraps. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island