Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,763 times

Advertisements

I would also like to suggest to everyone that Larsen Home Improvement can do wonders with any house whether it is a handyman special or simply looking to add space to your existing house. I have nothing but rave reviews for them, from start from finish their work just blew me away. Check out their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 22,581 times
We just bought a house in Levittown(Island Trees SD) back in November, and are almost done with a complete remodel. Levit Style did the dormer, and I'm doing the downstairs starting with a complete gutting.

Any thoughts on oil burner replacement?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug1047 View Post
We just bought a house in Levittown(Island Trees SD) back in November, and are almost done with a complete remodel. Levit Style did the dormer, and I'm doing the downstairs starting with a complete gutting.

We are seriously considering double dormering our upstairs and adding a bathroom. We have an expanded Levittown ranch in the Island Trees SD too. Were you pleased with Levit Style? How was their work? What architect did you use? We got paperwork from the Town of Hempstead, we are trying to find and architect and contractor that was well-liked.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dug1047 View Post

Burnham or Weil-McLain with a Rielo burner head.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen8899 View Post
My wife and I are relocating from Connecticut to Long Island with two kids (5 & 8) and have been house hunting for the past 2 months. We have noticed that houses in Levittown are much cheaper than comparable houses in the surrounding towns ( Bethpage, Farmingdale, Wantagh,...). Why??? Can someone shed some light on this? Much appreciated.
Most houses in Levittown have no basement..

Neighborhoods vary in prices. It's best not to compare homes between towns as far as pricing is concerned.. '

Compare comparable homes in each town and more importantly in SD as where the house lies in what SD can make a difference in it's price.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,224 times
Default joke

when was the last time you have been to Levittown? if you are one of these sucker looking or living in an original... otherwise the only reason they are cheaper is usually no basement or garage.

Aside from that you have a stellar community for a start up family - low crime and close proximity to nyc. I had to relocate my family I would not move to the island in the first place, but that's for another time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Most of the houses in Levittown are built by Levitt. Since it is the first "development" in the country, it comes with many construction flaws and general dislikes.

General dislikes:

No basement
Boiler in kitchen
No garage or converted carports

Construction Issues:

Termites!
Buried oil tanks
Limited access to the the water main and sewer clean out
Elec. box in closet
Failed copper heating pipes in the slab
Poor insulation
Poor additions and dormers

With all that said, many have been undergone major improvments with satisfactory results.

Many have been updated well

Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
I think Levitstyle is quite pricey, but I love their work. I browse their website and dream.

I've seen Madden Construction and Sierra signs around a lot, but I don't know anything about them firsthand.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
We are seriously considering double dormering our upstairs and adding a bathroom. We have an expanded Levittown ranch in the Island Trees SD too. Were you pleased with Levit Style? How was their work? What architect did you use? We got paperwork from the Town of Hempstead, we are trying to find and architect and contractor that was well-liked.
We were very pleased with Levit Style. The owner of the company, Bill Mullen, is also an architect. So they handled things start to completion from plans to permits and the CO. After researching many options, we chose Levit Style because of Bill's intimate knowledge of Levit homes. Thats all they remodel! They stuck to their time frame and it was done very timely. Since housing is still in a slump, this may be a good time to start your project.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
I think Levitstyle is quite pricey, but I love their work. I browse their website and dream.

I've seen Madden Construction and Sierra signs around a lot, but I don't know anything about them firsthand.
Perhaps, but I think this is a good time to negotiate. Levit Style's work is first rate, quality materials and workmanship.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Burnham or Weil-McLain with a Rielo burner head.
Thanks. So either of these burners/boilers will fit in the original spot next to the chimney in the Levit ranch floorplan? I was thinking of doing a hot water heater under the stairs.

Weil-Mclean model #?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island