Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 09:28 AM

427 posts, read 153,912 times

Advertisements

Are people really worried that there aren't enough Jews on Long Island? Oy vey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 11:22 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Asians only make up less than 3% of the FL population. The Asian population is very low in much of the south and parts of the Midwest
I can understand completely why Asians would not like Florida. I can even more, why they are not enamored with the American south as a whole, which is really different demographically from the Southeastern US. Asians do not share values with much of the southeastern US.

With the exception of some of Georgia, the American South shares few "folkways", interests, or values than what Asians as a culture want or require in order to call a place home.

No. More days of sunshine don't cut it. They want GOOD SCHOOLS. Good public schools. Very completive public schools that attract people from out of state.

Asian parents want good colleges and universities near them and where they live. To be fair, many of them are college professors. They are seeking to be near highly competitive colleges and universities.

I lived in the Three Village School District which has a large Asian population who want to be near Stony Brook University. SBU is a tier I research university that is highly ranked.

Nassau County is home to many teaching hospitals, North Shore University Hospital, Long Island Jewish, Schneider Children's Hospital, and St. Francis, which is renowned for cardiac care.

Nassau also has Hofstra University.

Nassau county has many good public-school districts, some of which are nationally known around the college in the academic community. This can be an asset when they are making application to college.

Florida is known for having bad public schools. So are the Carolinas.

Nassau County is perfectly in alignment with Asian values.

The same is true of Ohio, where I currently live. Case Western Reserve, University of Akron, Kent State, Oberlin College, Dennison University, all have suburbs with healthy Asian populations.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:58 PM

61 posts, read 20,646 times
I did not pursue it, but as a Jew I was steered away from certain areas when I looked for a house. I looked up the surnames of the people who lived in those areas and only one person was Jewish.They are definitely keeping Jews out of some places in Manhasset.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Why would they avoid garden City ??
Well I would avoid it myself because it's smack dab in the middle of Long Island. No ocean. No sound. What's near by? Hempstead? Beautiful. Perfect location. Why live on Long Island if you aren't near the beach, but you ARE near one of the worst cities on Long Island.

As for Jewish people and Garden City, GC started out as a WASPy town. It had a restricted covenant that excluded Jews. While it is still the home base for the Episcopal Church, the school closed quite a while ago.
Fewer Episcopalians live their than they did 50, 60, years ago.

Now Garden City is heavily Ethnic Catholic. As a non-ethnic Protestant who is very progressive, I'd be much more comfortable in Manhasset. I know several Jewish families who moved to Muncey Park Manhasset. They were comfortable there.

My husband is Jewish, and he doesn't like what he has heard. I will leave it at that. He likes the "look " of Garden City". The architecture. But he isn't comfortable there.

Before anyone says "Oh you live in OHIO - yes, I am aware of that. I live here at a fraction of a price of Long Island, we have excellent medical facilities, The world-famous Cleveland Clinic is second to none! People come hear from all over the world. University Hospital is also highly respected. We have theatre, art museums second to none - oh - actually, the Cleveland Museum of Art is the second-best art museum in the country. It's also free. We have many other museums. Great Colleges and universities.

Unlike the south, we have great food. Fine food, ethnic food, Asian, African, New American, steak, vegetarian/vegan. And southern, if that's your thing.

We get good concerts - we are not in the middle of nowhere. We are actually in the middle of everywhere. I visit Long Island beaches several times from Memorial Day to Labor Day. But, there is so much to do here, too.

In Cleveland, we happen to have a place where you can live with the beauty of a Garden City or Manhasset at a fraction of the price. It is intentionally diverse and people get along.

If you like the look of a Garden City or Manhasset - check out Shaker Heights, Pepper Pike and Beachwood. OH - the homes are beautiful and no one cares what religion, you are.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card AND - https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Last edited by sheena12; 03-17-2024 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 09:54 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well I would avoid it myself because it's smack dab in the middle of Long Island. No ocean. No sound. What's near by? Hempstead? Beautiful. Perfect location. Why live on Long Island if you aren't near the beach, but you ARE near one of the worst cities on Long Island.

As for Jewish people and Garden City, GC started out as a WASPy town. It had a restricted covenant that excluded Jews. While it is still the home base for the Episcopal Church, the school closed quite a while ago.
Fewer Episcopalians live their than they did 50, 60, years ago.

Now Garden City is heavily Ethnic Catholic. As a non-ethnic Protestant who is very progressive, I'd be much more comfortable in Manhasset. I know several Jewish families who moved to Muncey Park Manhasset. They were comfortable there.

My husband is Jewish, and he doesn't like what he has heard. I will leave it at that. He likes the "look " of Garden City". The architecture. But he isn't comfortable there.

Before anyone says "Oh you live in OHIO - yes, I am aware of that. I live here at a fraction of a price of Long Island, we have excellent medical facilities, The world-famous Cleveland Clinic is second to none! People come hear from all over the world. University Hospital is also highly respected. We have theatre, art museums second to none - oh - actually, the Cleveland Museum of Art is the second-best art museum in the country. It's also free. We have many other museums. Great Colleges and universities.

Unlike the south, we have great food. Fine food, ethnic food, Asian, African, New American, steak, vegetarian/vegan. And southern, if that's your thing.

We get good concerts - we are not in the middle of nowhere. We are actually in the middle of everywhere. I visit Long Island beaches several times from Memorial Day to Labor Day. But, there is so much to do here, too.

In Cleveland, we happen to have a place where you can live with the beauty of a Garden City or Manhasset at a fraction of the price. It is intentionally diverse and people get along.

If you like the look of a Garden City or Manhasset - check out Shaker Heights OH - the homes are beautiful and no one cares what religion, you are.
Cleveland also has a very nice beach and some lovely parks. It also has a very robust theater district with gorgeous theaters built in the same period style as New York. It's one of the cities that I would consider for relocation.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Cleveland also has a very nice beach and some lovely parks. It also has a very robust theater district with gorgeous theaters built in the same period style as New York. It's one of the cities that I would consider for relocation.
It does! We LOVE it here! Come out to visit anytime you want! I MEAN that!

This area is so similar to the NYC metro area. At a sliver of the cost. Check out the two houses I posted. Yes, they need some updating.

HOWEVEWR the lowest price HOUSE we found just looking in Garden City was a 4-2 cape,1790 square feet for NINE TWENTY FIVE!

Seriously? For a cape?

Old 03-18-2024, 01:12 PM

93 posts, read 41,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota500 View Post
I did not pursue it, but as a Jew I was steered away from certain areas when I looked for a house. I looked up the surnames of the people who lived in those areas and only one person was Jewish.They are definitely keeping Jews out of some places in Manhasset.
It's not that "they" are "keeping Jews out of some places," it's that Jews decide that they'll generally be more comfortable moving to other, very similar (in many respects) places like Roslyn, Port Washington, Great Neck, Syosset, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I'm tired of everyone pretending that there is. People need to be honest about these things.

Quote:

You probably wouldn't be very comfortable in Manhasset, either. It's culturally very similar to Garden City, but with a bit more money and (these days) a few more Asians.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
It's not that "they" are "keeping Jews out of some places," it's that Jews decide that they'll generally be more comfortable moving to other, very similar (in many respects) places like Roslyn, Port Washington, Great Neck, Syosset, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I'm tired of everyone pretending that there is. People need to be honest about these things.

You probably wouldn't be very comfortable in Manhasset, either. It's culturally very similar to Garden City, but with a bit more money and (these days) a few more Asians.
If I had to live on the Island again, Manhasset wouldn't be my first choice or second.

Garden City wouldn't make the list.

If I had to choose a place to live on Long Island - and none of Queens is an option, I would choose

In No particular order - Long Beach/ Atlantic Beach, Glen Cove, Huntington Village, maybe Sayville.

Places I consider that are "inland" areas. - Jericho/Syosset, maybe Commack probably not Plainview.

I would not move back though, no matter what. I am spoiled by the cost of living here.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:20 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
https://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY?si=o0t-9sp1miE8CJQF

https://youtu.be/oZzgAjjuqZM?si=oJZ7lqsGhS9HsHF9

This will never cease to be funny

Old 03-19-2024, 01:11 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
It does! We LOVE it here! Come out to visit anytime you want! I MEAN that!

This area is so similar to the NYC metro area. At a sliver of the cost. Check out the two houses I posted. Yes, they need some updating.

HOWEVEWR the lowest price HOUSE we found just looking in Garden City was a 4-2 cape,1790 square feet for NINE TWENTY FIVE!

Seriously? For a cape?
where in Cleveland? My brother lives in Chagrin falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island