Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

One way to see what's going on is to Google (name of town, ny) shooting. When I do that for my town, the results I turn up are for a shooting star at the university, the DEC describing shooting sports/licensing; no shooting crimes.

It's not foolproof, but it's better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
There is a crime heat map of LI somewhere. I think Newsday had it up.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM

177 posts, read 471,005 times
I know you said Nassau but Wheatley Height is a great neighborhood and you can't beat the school district!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM

113 posts, read 318,122 times
Default Baldwin Harbor

I suggest Baldwin Harbor (not Baldwin). It is a very nice middle class to upper middle class neighborhood south of Baldwin and west of Freeport. It is extremely integrated with white, black and even Spanish neighbors living on the same block. Some homes even have access to the harbor, hence the name Baldwin Harbor.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
I think other posters said this already, but it should not make a difference what town you go to. If you are a good neighbor and respectful of your neighbors, it should not make a difference. If other neighbors have a problem with your marriage, it should be them that is labled....not you.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 AM

113 posts, read 318,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I think other posters said this already, but it should not make a difference what town you go to. If you are a good neighbor and respectful of your neighbors, it should not make a difference. If other neighbors have a problem with your marriage, it should be them that is labled....not you.

Sounds great in an ideal world, but we are talking about Long Island. This won't exactly bode well for many of the communities here, black or white. I wish something different could be said, but it is what it is.

For some communities, they don't even want to see another person of another race; now you're talking about another person of another race being married to someone of another race - you're really asking for the ignoramus to come out.

Last edited by mrtracey; 04-05-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 AM

30 posts, read 105,549 times
WOW...

We have been looking for our starter home in NJ but decided to give LI a shot. We currently live in Forest Hills. I work in the city and wife stays home with our 14month baby. We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I dont know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park. The neighborhood looks nice and quiet around 12noon. The immediate neighbours are a old white couple & a black family. We are comfortable with any community as long as they respect us for who we are and are courteous and friendly.

But after reading some of your posts, I am really confused if Baldwin is even worth looking at. My friends who are born & brought up in LI advised it to be a nice neighorhood. The schools are rated high (we are concerned only of elementary) on greatschools.org but I see folks here even bashing the schools. People are mentioning gangs, rape, robbery, what the heck, LOL.

I would appreciate if someone could give me an honest opinion about the area. I mean every area will have petty thefts, Forest Hills has cases of mugging & car tire thefts, but overall it is an amazing neighorhood.

Please advise, Thanks !

Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I dont know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park.
That would be in Baldwin. (While colloquially, there may be a North Baldwin and a South Baldwin, officially it's all Baldwin.)

A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:

The Hamlet of Baldwin has a different border than does the "Baldwin, NY 11510" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" address and not be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and a place can be in the Hamlet of Baldwin and have other than a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address): places that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Baldwin are in the Hamlet of Oceanside, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Roosevelt; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Baldwin that have an "Oceanside, NY 11572", "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" and "Roosevelt, NY 11575" mailing address.

HomeSearchInNJ, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM

330 posts, read 726,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
WOW...

We have been looking for our starter home in NJ but decided to give LI a shot. We currently live in Forest Hills. I work in the city and wife stays home with our 14month baby. We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I dont know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park. The neighborhood looks nice and quiet around 12noon. The immediate neighbours are a old white couple & a black family. We are comfortable with any community as long as they respect us for who we are and are courteous and friendly.

But after reading some of your posts, I am really confused if Baldwin is even worth looking at. My friends who are born & brought up in LI advised it to be a nice neighorhood. The schools are rated high (we are concerned only of elementary) on greatschools.org but I see folks here even bashing the schools. People are mentioning gangs, rape, robbery, what the heck, LOL.

I would appreciate if someone could give me an honest opinion about the area. I mean every area will have petty thefts, Forest Hills has cases of mugging & car tire thefts, but overall it is an amazing neighorhood.

Please advise, Thanks !
Baldwin is generally pretty nice, and the area you mentioned is very nice. Beware of taking anything you read on this board seriously as some of the posters here are extremely racist and/or otherwise biased. In most cases they will tell you any town that isn't 100% white with an average income over $100K is "bad". Forget what these idiots will tell you, check it out for yourself.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
What's that old saying..."takes one to know one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island