Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,187,474 times

Advertisements

Oh really? And what do you base this on? And what towns are they located in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I have some family from suburban Philly. The schools in the area are generally good, but they aren't as good as LI schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

22,218 posts, read 19,528,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oh really? And what do you base this on? And what towns are they located in?
test scores, college rates, 4 year college rates, etc. My sister is currently a grad student at Villanova and lives in Drexel Hill. My aunt and her entire family came from Delaware County (some still live there)

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,187,474 times
Can you post a link that can be used to compare the 2 area school districts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
test scores, college rates, 4 year college rates, etc. My sister is currently a grad student at Villanova and lives in Drexel Hill. My aunt and her entire family came from Delaware County (some still live there)

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,562,653 times
Philly does not really compete with NYC.....you will get more been in a suburbs of NYC than you do in Philly, IMO.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 AM

153 posts, read 381,211 times
You can't paint the Philly burbs with a broad paint brush, just as you cannot do so with LI. Comparing Philly burbs of Norristown and Paoli is like comparing Garden City and Roosevelt. Same goes with driving, the poster who mentioned you can drive anywhere, anytime is off base. Try driving on the 422 corridor during or the Scuykill during rush hour.

You will pay a premium to be in the nice suburbs of any major metro.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,562,653 times
A large amount of our tax dollars goes to special ed and early intervention. Something that is very expensive but extremely important. Most states do not have programs like this.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,608,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
A large amount of our tax dollars goes to special ed and early intervention. Something that is very expensive but extremely important. Most states do not have programs like this.
This is VERY true! A few people we know would love to move south (one of them has all her family in Florida now) but because they have a special-ed child they are staying here because in the other states such programs either don't exist or are way below the level of what LI schools offer.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 AM

37,812 posts, read 41,107,845 times
Default How about things to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
People in the South pay less because they get less.
But what do you and your kids get that's so great? Yes, you have decent schools and malls. What else?

Having lived on Long Island (Suffolk County) for most of my life, then in Maryland and now in Tennessee, I don't think you are getting all that much on LI in the area of "things to do" for what you pay to live there. I think you're paying for the privilege to live not that far from NYC (although some of you have awful commutes from parts of Suffolk County) and that's about it. I saw the same thing in my suburban Maryland town. People were paying for the privilege to live not too far from DC but in the area of "things to do" my suburban MD town was deficient. I don't consider "shopping" as "things to do." It was like the LI and MD towns didn't think they had to bother because they couldn't compete with NYC or DC.

I can tell you I hardly ever went into NYC when I lived on LI (where I also worked) and I hardly ever went into DC when I lived in MD (where I also worked). But I didn't realize when I lived and worked in those suburban places I was missing anything, because I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Now I'm retired and I live in a suburban place about 25 miles from downtown Knoxville and I never go to that city, either, but there is so much to do in suburbia and rural places around here. Every week there is some cultural, historic, educational, arts/crafts, nature-related event, in addition to social events, many free or cheap, going on around here and I'm living just fine on my pension and doing those things.

In thinking back on my childhood, young adulthood and my pre-43 year old years, it dawned on me I missed a heck of a lot of "stuff" living on LI. What I know about LI history I could carve on a pin head. How much do you or your kids know about the history of your LI town/township/county? Go to any 1776 Battle of Long Island re-enactments? Or any LI living history events? Is LI culture celebrated annually, anyplace? Been to any LI Culture museums or the LI History Museum? (Not talking about museums located on LI but LI museums about LI). How about "LI music" events? Is there even an identifiable LI music sound? Is there some kind of craft identified with LI? If so, do you do it or know people that do? Do your kids have the opportunity to attend non-school programs about LI sea life? Outside of school, do the State or County parks departments hold events for kids to educate them on/introduce them to LI sea life, LI birds/wildlife or bugs/trees in the pine barrens? How about clubs/organizations providing thos kind of events/programs? How about "LI specialty" food associated with Long Island culture? Do people come to LI, for example, to eat LI food at some annual LI Clam Fair? If your town/township/county throws a fair, what's distinctive at the fair that makes it a fair that couldn't be held in any other town/township/county?

That's why I was curious if people who lived on LI and in other places in addition to Long Island, think they're getting what they pay for. I'm not questioning your choice to live there since most are tied to the Island based on job location, as was I. I'm only interested if you think you and your family are getting what you pay for with your taxes and high cost of living expenses?

(P.S. My gasoline has never gone over $3.99)

Old 08-09-2008, 12:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,936,528 times
So, you were ignorant and many people on LI are--I'm not sure waht this has to do with taxes. Or whether LI is culturally distinctive or makes an effort to exploit that. The different towns and counties (not to mention other groups) DO put on many events. When I was in school, we were taken to the Sunken Forest and the Pine Barrens, as well as other places on Long Island. SUNY Stony Brook offers a Long Island history course (I majored in history at SB). Long Island wineries promote their products and some of the farms (that are left) are starting to as well.

I spent 4 years in London, and I can tell you that my local council was not at the level I was used to.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,608,871 times
LauraC, actually both I and my SO have done MOST of the things on your list. Some things in our younger days and some as adults. By the way, while you lived on LI did you do any of the following: Visit the east end farms and/or wineries? Visit Sagamore Hill? Go whale-watching off Montauk Point? Visit the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery or the Lab? Attend the Shinnecock Powwow? Attend one of LI's professional or semi-pro sports events (LI Ducks hockey, LI Ducks baseball, NY Islanders)? Go fishing on a charter boat? Own your own boat? Go skiing on Bald Hill? Attend an open-air concert (which was usually free, btw) at Salisbury Park (now called Eisenhower Park)? Visit any of the nature preserves, such as the Pine Barrens you mentioned? Go to the auto races at either Freeport or Riverhead? Go on a Gold Coast house tour? True there are many people who either don't care about these things or have never bothered to find out everything that's here, but as Alexis says, that doesn't mean that LI'ers don't get as much "bang for our buck" as other areas of the country do.

AlexisT, I also was a history major at SB! I wonder if any of my old professors are still there: I had Dr. Stuart Semel and Dr. Kurt Bottigheimer for British History, and an elderly white-haired gent whose name totally escapes me for Egyptian and Greco-Roman History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island