Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we attract the same caliber of Police applicants for less money?
Yes 22 52.38%
No 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
The current salary structure is fair for a cop with 15 years on the job - not after 7 years.

But the real problem isn't the salaries. It's the salaries given the other aspects of police compensation:
1) NCPD and SCPD don't work nearly as many hours as NYPD. If the # of regular (non-OT) hours increased, we'd save a bundle.
2) LI cops pensions are calculated as the average of the final 3 years of service. Most of the LI cops work as much overtime as possible in order to inflate their pension right before retirement. They work their butts off for 3 years (getting fed overtime whether necessary or not) and collect a massive paycheck for the rest of their lives for doing nothing.
3) LI cops do not contribute 1 penny to their healthcare. This is costing the county an arm and a leg.
4) LI cops accrue vacation and sick time over the life of their careers, and receive a nice payout upon retirement. What other profession affords something like this? I can accrue vacation, but not sick time, that's just ludicrous.
5) LI cops have job security like none of us on the private sector will ever have. That has got to be worth something, no?

When the whole picture is painted, not even those posting here with an agenda can disagree that things are just a little (haha) out of whack.
The only people who don't think it is out of whack are the cops themselves and their wives.

Everyone else knows it is, but either doesn't want to or doesn't have the time to do anything about it, ie bugging the hell out of your elected officials to change it..they get more support from the police union, so why would they listen to you?

I'd recommend to any young person...take that police test.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times
Quote:
The fact that the median household income on LI is 80k while the mean salary for an NCPD and SCPD was 125k?
The median is the middle of a set of values.
The mean is the average.

They can not be freely interchanged.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM

155 posts, read 298,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The median is the middle of a set of values.
The mean is the average.

They can not be freely interchanged.
Agreed but median data does not exist for police salaries (as far as I've seen). However, it's safe to say the median police salary isn't far off from the mean, and could potentially be higher.

The point is that a cop by him(her)self makes significantly more than the median family on LI.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Agreed but median data does not exist for police salaries (as far as I've seen). However, it's safe to say the median police salary isn't far off from the mean, and could potentially be higher.

The point is that a cop by him(her)self makes significantly more than the median family on LI.
As for police salaries there are variables:

Time on the job
Rank & grade
Shift differential

You can't compare a rookie patrolman with a Lieut. whose been on 15 years.

There can certainly be a mean and a median salary within the PD and neither number will be the same.

Median family incomes: do you know what the incomes are for every profession, trade and union job there is out there? You can't state
Quote:
without knowing what the income is for every person on LI. Some police are sole providers; some plumbers have wives who work, too. Once more -- you can't compare the two without supplying the stats for all parties.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
As for police salaries there are variables:

Time on the job
Rank & grade
Shift differential

You can't compare a rookie patrolman with a Lieut. whose been on 15 years.

There can certainly be a mean and a median salary within the PD and neither number will be the same.

Median family incomes: do you know what the incomes are for every profession, trade and union job there is out there? You can't state without knowing what the income is for every person on LI. Some police are sole providers; some plumbers have wives who work, too. Once more -- you can't compare the two without supplying the stats for all parties.
I don't need to know what the incomes are for every trade, union job etc, that's what the stats do, they summarize the data. The median household income takes into account households where both spouses work, households where the provider has been working for 15 years, etc.

This is merely a comparison between the middle family on LI and the average (albeit not middle, but not too far off from it either) cop. You can compare the 2 without additional stats, the US government does it all the time. If we only compare rookie police, then we should only look at the household incomes of those who are working only a year or 2 in their jobs. But if we compare everyone in the police to all households, it becomes an apples to apples comparison.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I don't need to know what the incomes are for every trade, union job etc, that's what the stats do, they summarize the data. The median household income takes into account households where both spouses work, households where the provider has been working for 15 years, etc.

This is merely a comparison between the middle family on LI and the average (albeit not middle, but not too far off from it either) cop. You can compare the 2 without additional stats, the US government does it all the time. If we only compare rookie police, then we should only look at the household incomes of those who are working only a year or 2 in their jobs. But if we compare everyone in the police to all households, it becomes an apples to apples comparison.
Quote:
The above was your quote. Your point was that a cop (A = singular form) makes more than a family (family = several individuals related by blood or marriage cohabitating under one roof)

Yet you claim the statistics are for similar circumstances. Which is it?
And where are these confounded stats?

Show me the money

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The above was your quote. Your point was that a cop (A = singular form) makes more than a family (family = several individuals related by blood or marriage cohabitating under one roof)

Yet you claim the statistics are for similar circumstances. Which is it?
And where are these confounded stats?

Show me the money
A cop (singular) does make more than a family. Google nassau county and suffolk county median household income and tom suozzi's speech about the avg NCPD making 125k. The stats aggregate all households to come to a median household income of 80k. If you can't understand that then I'm sorry but I don't have the time to give a stats lesson.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,153,737 times
This may be a decade old but according to IHAV it's still recent. Here's the median incomes by village.
Median Household Income -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/realestate/ny-census-medianincome,0,3943097.htmlstory - broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
This may be a decade old but according to IHAV it's still recent. Here's the median incomes by village.
Median Household Income -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/realestate/ny-census-medianincome,0,3943097.htmlstory - broken link)
wiki has the 2008 median household income of nassau at 86k

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
A cop (singular) does make more than a family. Google nassau county and suffolk county median household income and tom suozzi's speech about the avg NCPD making 125k. The stats aggregate all households to come to a median household income of 80k. If you can't understand that then I'm sorry but I don't have the time to give a stats lesson.
And yet you have the time to rebitt everything without the evidence to support your argument. Despite frequent requests, you still have yet to post the link to the statistics you claim to cite.

Seeing as you mixed up mean with median (forget even discussing mode here) I wouldn't want anything remotely resembling a stats lesson from you. Thanks, but no thanks.

Perhaps the average NCPD makes more than your family. If you live in Nassau and don't like that, change it.

And this concludes today's troll feeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island