Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Shaikh View Post
We are also hunting for a house in RP, NY... how long is it going to be door to door from RP to downtown Manhattan? Is it worth moving to RP and commute NYC daily?
That is a personal decision. Is there anyone you know that you can stay with for a week in RP? Then you can try out the entire commute to and from work. That would be the best way for you to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
We are also hunting for a house in RP, NY... how long is it going to be door to door from RP to downtown Manhattan? Is it worth moving to RP and commute NYC daily?
depends...does spending around 4 hours a day commuting bother you? Some people don't mind it. Others wouldn't even it consider it.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,588 times
rocafeller, it's 60 mins from Ronkonkoma, but the drive might well be longer than 20 minutes.

PJ is longer--1.5-2hrs each way, and a change. (Because there's a single track, trains have to stop and wait for trains to pass--it means that the trip times vary from train to train.)

Frankly, I think living that far east--unless you live right by Ronkonkoma station--is a killer commute.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If all the blabbing is not 100% accurate, then it doesn't matter if the secret gets out, as the place will be mostly rejected anyway. For example, the schools there are not "great," especially when compared to the rest of them in the LI arena, and anyone who cares about their kid graduating from a decent high school would avoid the area.
The schools are fine, just ask any parent.
We've had no issue attracting families from neighboring "great" districts to Rocky Point of late.The area has gentrified tremendously over the last 10 years.

Were very, very happy with the directon of the schools and the community.

However if your sole priority is a good commute, perhaps try Valley Stream.

We love it here, feel free to DM me with any questions.

crooks

Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I have family who do it now, budget 2hrs door to door each way.

It really depends on if you love what youre coming home to.

They do.

Crooks

Old 03-12-2009, 03:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,914 times
Quote:
and anyone who cares about their kid graduating from a decent high school would avoid the area.
That's harsh, and total BS. I graduated from Rocky Point and I know twice as much as many of the kids I go to college with. Rocky Point is definitely well regarded in central/eastern suffolk, and if you live in Nassau it would be difficult for you to know the district's reputation. I had nothing but wonderful teachers and now have a full academic scholarship to college. I certainly have my teachers at Rocky Point to thank for where I am today.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
That's harsh, and total BS. I graduated from Rocky Point and I know twice as much as many of the kids I go to college with. Rocky Point is definitely well regarded in central/eastern suffolk, and if you live in Nassau it would be difficult for you to know the district's reputation. I had nothing but wonderful teachers and now have a full academic scholarship to college. I certainly have my teachers at Rocky Point to thank for where I am today.
Thank you for recounting your positive personal experience.

What I know is only from statistics which place RP 24th from the bottom of the 126 school districts on LI. However, personal experiences can be more relevant. Hopefully we will hear more from satisfied RP graduates to corroborate your single viewpoint!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-12-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Correct me if Im wrong but the only train thats 60 mins is the direct express train to Penn.(3 of them) All other trains look to be 80 mins. Either way its one h*ll of a commute! I could not or would not ever do it. The extra 12k for city work isnt worth my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
rocafeller, it's 60 mins from Ronkonkoma, but the drive might well be longer than 20 minutes.

PJ is longer--1.5-2hrs each way, and a change. (Because there's a single track, trains have to stop and wait for trains to pass--it means that the trip times vary from train to train.)

Frankly, I think living that far east--unless you live right by Ronkonkoma station--is a killer commute.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
However if your sole priority is a good commute, perhaps try Valley Stream.
... and you will find much higher ranking schools than RP in addition to a good commute.

(Of course RP has its charms and is well worth any commute to some people. You have to figure out if you are one of those people.)

Old 03-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
... and you will find much higher ranking schools than RP in addition to a good commute.

(Of course RP has its charms and is well worth any commute to some people. You have to figure out if you are one of those people.)

Except of course you'd be neighboring SE Queens.

VS has its charms too....it really is a question of if you like what youre coming home too.

The schools in RP are more than attractive....and relatively drama free.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island