Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM

148 posts, read 556,855 times

Advertisements

Is it okay to go in the HOV with a driver and children? Or do the "Two Persons" have to be 2 drivers? Im starting a new commute this week and want to take the HOV with my kids but the problem is both are so small (in baby seats) I am worried I will be mistakenly pulled over--therefore negating any time advantage. I think my sons head my be slightly visible but not real sure--Anyone have experience with this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
Yes, it can be one adult and one child. It's 2 people.... they never specified an age requirement. When I used to drive into Manhattan with my daughter (she was 3 - 4 at the time), we always took the HOV lane and, most of the time, she was cuddled up under her blanket sleeping in her car seat and you couldn't even see her. I never got pulled over.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
its 2 or more people.
I take the HOV lane everyday & the cops are pretty good. They use binoculars to see way ahead into the cars. You should be fine.
Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
HOV = Huge Oversized Vehicle

Sorry, just being a wise guy.

As someone else mentioned, I have traveled the HOV lane with my child in the car without any problem. The key is to have one warm, living human in the vehicle in addition to the driver.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,473 times
Quote:
HOV Lane Rules & Regulations
HOV Lane restrictions are in effect Monday through Friday 6:00 AM – 10:00 AM and
3:00 PM – 8:00 PM. During these specified hours, the HOV Lanes are reserved for buses and passenger vehicles with two or more occupants (children are considered passengers). Minivans with two or more passengers, and motorcycles (no passenger required) are permitted to use the HOV Lanes at all times. Passenger vehicles with only one occupant may use the HOV Lanes outside of the above specified times.
More info: LITM - HOV Lane Information

Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
In addition to the info above SINGLE occupancy vehicles that have a "clean pass" like my Prius are allowed too!
I travel in the HOV from exit 64 to 43 everyday!!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
I've heard of a few people trying to get away with putting dummies in their passenger seats.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
In addition to the info above SINGLE occupancy vehicles that have a "clean pass" like my Prius are allowed too!
I travel in the HOV from exit 64 to 43 everyday!!
Good point! I'd forgotten about that option. I recall the pilot program but i didn't bother keeping up with the info as i don't qualify. I have a 4cyl. but, alas, its not an approved model.
Quote:
Clean Pass stickers are required for qualifying single occupant hybrid vehicles to use any section of the LIE/HOV system. Registered owners of eligible vehicles can apply to DMV to participate in the Clean Pass program.
More info: LITM - For Commuters

Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 PM

148 posts, read 556,855 times
Thanks everybody, I actually noticed the binoculars today.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Thanks everybody, I actually noticed the binoculars today.
The problem with the binoculars is this:

The HOV lane was designed to relieve traffic congestion by getting more people into few cars.

What happens when people see a cop standing outside his/her car with binoculars? They slam on the brakes..all 4 lanes including the HOV lane, even when traffic is moving at 45 MPH during heavy rush hour traffic, enough people slam on their brakes instinctively to cause a few miles of backup..I've seen it many times.

What does this create? More traffic congestion!

I realize that the HOV restriction needs to be enforced, but couldn't they do the same thing by just putting cameras in strategic areas? I mean, doing something that defeats the purpose of having the thing you are enforcing in the first place makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island