Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

our government wants illegal immigration, our corporations which put them in office insist on it.
anyone that attempts to disrupt the process will be punished.
unions can change this. the only enemy a cobra has is a mongoose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
our government wants illegal immigration, our corporations which put them in office insist on it.
anyone that attempts to disrupt the process will be punished.
unions can change this. the only enemy a cobra has is a mongoose.
Thanks Confucius, dynamite input.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,484 times
WHAT????? Unions are why we are in this situation to begin with. Forcing our companies to overpay undereducated people to do menial tasks. The reason why we can't have chain gangs clean up the side of the road anymore is because of unions costing the taxpayer god knows how much money. They are the reason we can't fire incomptent teachers, or anything else for that matter. I worked in a hospital where they traced back the source of an infection outbreak to the length of the nurses aide's nails. THE AIDES FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE UNION AND THEY WON. Putting the health of their charges at risk because of vanity and the union let them do it. They protect drug addicts and the lazy and stupid crippling our economy. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I need to to go sit down, anyone have a paper bag?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
WHAT????? Unions are why we are in this situation to begin with. Forcing our companies to overpay undereducated people to do menial tasks. The reason why we can't have chain gangs clean up the side of the road anymore is because of unions costing the taxpayer god knows how much money. They are the reason we can't fire incomptent teachers, or anything else for that matter. I worked in a hospital where they traced back the source of an infection outbreak to the length of the nurses aide's nails. THE AIDES FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE UNION AND THEY WON. Putting the health of their charges at risk because of vanity and the union let them do it. They protect drug addicts and the lazy and stupid crippling our economy. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I need to to go sit down, anyone have a paper bag?
Unions are the reason people have 40 hour work weeks, health insurance, and don't get fired when they have a child. Your anecdotes (and every other one that right wing mouth breathers regurgitate when someone talks about unions) don't change the fact that one of the biggest reasons for the rise of the middle class in the US is the existence of unions. Unless you are descendant of a robber baron, you probably should be thankful for what unions have given you. Maybe Rush Limbaugh didn't tell you about that?

That doesn't mean that unions go to far in some cases or have had corruption in others, but for the most part, they've been good for average people, and bad for corporate ogligarchs

Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Yes Dman they served their purpose 100 years ago. They have evolved into the same top heavy self serving machine that they supposedly fight. Ask all the UAW workers how they feel about their weekends off. Pretty soon they're going to have a whole lot of free time on their hands and we'll see what kind of deal the union works out to fill their pockets. Lets ask any of the NYC teachers about the "rubber rooms". Teachers sent with FULL PAY to sit in a room and do nothing because the union constantly fights to not have these people fired. And these are facts I have seen with my own eyes.

When I worked for a union they TOLD ME WHO TO VOTE FOR!!!! And if I didn't vote for them I might lose my job. WTF??
Also they "fought" for a raise. A staggering 3% which the hospital gave with minimal effort. Guess what they did THREE MONTHS LATER?? They raised our union dues by guess how much? 3%!!!!!!! WOW what a deal I'm really glad I have a group of propagandists on my side. I have based my opinions of unions on what I have seen with my eyes, and my paycheck. I now work for a NON-UNION hospital and make much more and without union dues.

And what about the fact that many unions have become synonomous with the mob?

And lets dispense with the name calling. I'm sure I can guess to which side you lean, I have my own choice words for that side but am afraid that your media will get invovled. Enjoy your commie flakes.

P.S. What about the union official crowing about how if WalMart was unionized this tragedy never would have happened. Nothing like a tragic death to advance your cause.

Last edited by sickofnyc99; 11-29-2008 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: extra info

Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Yes Dman they served their purpose 100 years ago. They have evolved into the same top heavy self serving machine that they supposedly fight. Ask all the UAW workers how they feel about their weekends off. Pretty soon they're going to have a whole lot of free time on their hands and we'll see what kind of deal the union works out to fill their pockets. Lets ask any of the NYC teachers about the "rubber rooms". Teachers sent with FULL PAY to sit in a room and do nothing because the union constantly fights to not have these people fired. And these are facts I have seen with my own eyes.

When I worked for a union they TOLD ME WHO TO VOTE FOR!!!! And if I didn't vote for them I might lose my job. WTF??
Also they "fought" for a raise. A staggering 3% which the hospital gave with minimal effort. Guess what they did THREE MONTHS LATER?? They raised our union dues by guess how much? 3%!!!!!!! WOW what a deal I'm really glad I have a group of propagandists on my side. I have based my opinions of unions on what I have seen with my eyes, and my paycheck. I now work for a NON-UNION hospital and make much more and without union dues.

And what about the fact that many unions have become synonomous with the mob?

And lets dispense with the name calling. I'm sure I can guess to which side you lean, I have my own choice words for that side but am afraid that your media will get invovled. Enjoy your commie flakes.

P.S. What about the union official crowing about how if WalMart was unionized this tragedy never would have happened. Nothing like a tragic death to advance your cause.

Obviously the blame should first fall on the people who trampled the poor man, however Walmart has been known for years to cut corners in every possible way. If they were allowed to unionize, the security situation would have perhaps been a bit better since it would have likely been something the Union would have fought for. Not saying it would have automatically prevented a tragedy such as this from occurring, but it is a possibility.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Seeing as how the throngs pushed aside ARMED POLICE OFFICERS, I'm sure the unionized walmart security agents would have done a much better job. That is unless they were busy checking their contract to see if saving lives was in their "job descriptions". Or on a smoke break, either one. Wait a minute aren't the cops unionized? That helped them a lot. Yeah for weekends!!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
When did I ever refer to "hispanics"? When I refer to people who come here and show no respect for our way of life I am referring to illegals, not (legal)immigrants like the helpful workers in the mall..
Once again it gets turned into a race issue, it's legal status and behavior plain and simple. If all the "day laborers" were Irish I'd be just as mad.
It gets turned into a race issue because you tend to act like the vast majority of Hispanics here are illegal, and you go off on rants about all these people and being involved in gangs and going out committing all these crimes. We can all understand where you are coming from on the issue, however the vast majority of illegal immigrants, just like the vast majority of legal immigrants are hardworking people who are looking to improve the lives of themselves and their families. Concerns about legal status and what is being done about it is fine and understandable. However you do yourself and your argument no favors when you try to act like the majority of illegals are these hardened gang banging criminals who simply don't care.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Seeing as how the throngs pushed aside ARMED POLICE OFFICERS, I'm sure the unionized walmart security agents would have done a much better job. That is unless they were busy checking their contract to see if saving lives was in their "job descriptions". Or on a smoke break, either one. Wait a minute aren't the cops unionized? That helped them a lot. Yeah for weekends!!!!
I'm also talking about things such as stronger barricades, doors, etc. The reason Walmart doesn't want unions is because they always want to take the cheapest way out possible, cut corners whenever possible, etc. Could that thought process of always taking the cheapest possible way played a role in the tragedy? Perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island