Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,215 times

Advertisements

To: Deadpool 1998 and Climaxx Brian,
Hi, I just wanted to mention that as a Realtor I recommended Elizabeth Roche to one of my clients last year. She was successful in receiving a 10% reduction on their property taxes ($1300) which was instrumental in helping them to get their home sold. Taxes are grieved on the third Tuesday in May in the Town of Huntington. At that point you may find out that your grievance was successful, but you may not get official notification until November, when the new tax bills are sent out. I hope this was helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Simply hear-say...but Mark Lewis is the only grievance service I hear consistently good things about. I did mine on my own and it was relatively easy...in the town of Brookhaven.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 AM

270 posts, read 969,626 times
I just got notification from Mark Lewis this week about the successful grievance of my taxes. Looks to be a savings of almost $1100 a year.

I've never used anyone else, nor have I tried this on my own, so I can't compare them against anyone else, but the process was absolutely effortless on my part. They didn't even send an appraiser out (unless it was a drive-by that I wasn't aware of).

Does anyone know at what point in time I should contact my mortgage lender to ask for a re-calculation of tax escrow?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
I just got notification from Mark Lewis this week about the successful grievance of my taxes. Looks to be a savings of almost $1100 a year.

I've never used anyone else, nor have I tried this on my own, so I can't compare them against anyone else, but the process was absolutely effortless on my part. They didn't even send an appraiser out (unless it was a drive-by that I wasn't aware of).

Does anyone know at what point in time I should contact my mortgage lender to ask for a re-calculation of tax escrow?
I was told by both the assessor and my mortgage folks that it would be automatic....AND that it would take a few months to get a new tax bill. They basically said the reduction will come off the 2nd half of the year bill. The mortgage company said that if I get a new tax bill sooner...just fax it to them.

Congratulations on the reduction...I got $3400 myself (grossly over assessed).

Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Default Primary Residence Only...?

It has to be your primary residence to get a reduction .....?

Or can you grieve a rental of investment property....?

I hve received conflicting information in the past regarding this...

Anyone know for sure....?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
It has to be your primary residence to get a reduction .....?

Or can you grieve a rental of investment property....?

I hve received conflicting information in the past regarding this...

Anyone know for sure....?
grievance is not limited to primary residence - STAR is

Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the taxes grieved on a home before you purchase? My concern is that even if it can be done we will miss the period we can do it because I hear for places like Deep Park it's some time in May and I don't think the closing will happen before then.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM

270 posts, read 969,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the taxes grieved on a home before you purchase? My concern is that even if it can be done we will miss the period we can do it because I hear for places like Deep Park it's some time in May and I don't think the closing will happen before then.
When I put an offer on my house last year, the previous homeowners informed me that the taxes were in the process of being grieved. We closed on the house before the process was complete, and I had to inform Mark Lewis that I was the new homeowner. They had me send back a form that basically transferred the agreement to me, and everything was good. The grievance happens at its own pace, regardless of ownership - so if the previous homeowners start it and it doesn't finish until you own the house, the benefit still goes to you.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
It is possible :-)
The current homeowner needs to apply and the grievance can then be transferred to the new homeowner. The new homeowner agrees to pay whatever fee/percentage the current homeowner agreed to pay.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 AM

249 posts, read 515,039 times
For those that say they grieved their taxes themselves, what was the procedure you followed?
Care to enlighten the rest of us in how to go about doing so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island