Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM

119 posts, read 339,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
FrankieDNY do you have a specific field of work? Do you know what kind of house you can afford? This would be crucial information for us to help find town that best fits your needs.

I currently work at a college down here in South Florida. I know that there are some colleges out on the island correct? I would say that we can afford a house in the 350,000 range. A move would probably happen and the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,135 times
theres plenty of work on long island and brookhaven town for the most part is pretty affordable

Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
I'll second Crooks nod for Rocky Point/Sound Beach/Miller Place. The schools are excellent and you don't bear quite as much tax burden as you do further west. Also...you are within commuting distance of Stony Brook...which is a large state university.

check out MLSLI.com for houses on the market.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I'll second Crooks nod for Rocky Point/Sound Beach/Miller Place. The schools are excellent and you don't bear quite as much tax burden as you do further west. Also...you are within commuting distance of Stony Brook...which is a large state university.

Thanks for the info. Can anyone give me advice on the snowfall (remember, I'm coming from FL..lol) and what the average cost of taxes per year are?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Were lucky to get a snow storm anymore here on the Island. The last 3-4 winters have been mild with little snowfall.
As for taxes....on average they are $9,000 per year!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Were lucky to get a snow storm anymore here on the Island. The last 3-4 winters have been mild with little snowfall.
As for taxes....on average they are $9,000 per year!
Agreed

Taxes may be lower depending on size of home/land and if the town has an economic base (downtown/ light industrial etc) or not.

crooks

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:

Stony Brook Univ.
CW Post (Long Island University)
St. Joseph's College in Patchogue
Dowling College in Oakdale
Adelphi University
Suffolk Community College (multiple campuses)
Five Towns College (there is a Dix Hills campus as well as Five Towns location)
Molloy College
Touro Law
St. John's extension campus in Oakdale area, if still there
Hofstra University in Hempstead (tough commute from more easter suffolk)
SUNY Old Westbury

If you are looking to stay in university administration of some sort this should be a decent list to start from. If you can commute off the rush hour you can add St. John's and Queens College into the mix, along with Queensborough.

Good luck in your search. Most listings for higher ed jobs are best found in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

JRP

P.S. I am always touting Kings Park as a nice affordable option...and at 350k, you might find in a couple of years you can add a number of communities to your price list. Particular after the median numbers dropped into the mid to high 300's based on LI housing stats released today...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Stony Brook Univ.
CW Post (Long Island University)
St. Joseph's College in Patchogue
Dowling College in Oakdale
Adelphi University
Suffolk Community College (multiple campuses)
Five Towns College (there is a Dix Hills campus as well as Five Towns location)
Molloy College
Touro Law
St. John's extension campus in Oakdale area, if still there
Hofstra University in Hempstead (tough commute from more easter suffolk)
SUNY Old Westbury

If you are looking to stay in university administration of some sort this should be a decent list to start from. If you can commute off the rush hour you can add St. John's and Queens College into the mix, along with Queensborough.

Good luck in your search. Most listings for higher ed jobs are best found in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

JRP

P.S. I am always touting Kings Park as a nice affordable option...and at 350k, you might find in a couple of years you can add a number of communities to your price list. Particular after the median numbers dropped into the mid to high 300's based on LI housing stats released today...

Good Post.

Agreed.

Kings Park is a good value play too.

crooks

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Thanks for the info. Can anyone give me advice on the snowfall (remember, I'm coming from FL..lol) and what the average cost of taxes per year are?
The average snowfall for Suffolk county is 24"....but it is important to remember that that's a 30 year avg and it can vary greatly from year to year. Brookhaven Lab (one of the official snow measuring sites) had something like 14" last year (i'll have to look it up when I get to work).

Typically...big storms draw in enough warm air to turn snow to rain. It is the smaller nuisance storms (2-4") that drive everyone nuts. Big monster snow storms are relatively rare.

Coastal flooding/beach erosion and wind damage is more of an issue on the south shore.

I've also noticed that taxes vary quite a bit. Of the dozen or so homes we looked at in Rocky Point/Sound Beach/Ridge...taxes ranged from 4500 to 9000. Once the assessment for our 1800 sq ft cape with teeny yard comes back down to where it should be, the taxes will be about 6000 a year.

Remember you also get a reduction to your school tax (called STAR) for your primary residence. That reduces your assessed value by 30K.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The average snowfall for Suffolk county is 24"....but it is important to remember that that's a 30 year avg and it can vary greatly from year to year. Brookhaven Lab (one of the official snow measuring sites) had something like 14" last year (i'll have to look it up when I get to work).

Typically...big storms draw in enough warm air to turn snow to rain. It is the smaller nuisance storms (2-4") that drive everyone nuts. Big monster snow storms are relatively rare.

Coastal flooding/beach erosion and wind damage is more of an issue on the south shore.

I've also noticed that taxes vary quite a bit. Of the dozen or so homes we looked at in Rocky Point/Sound Beach/Ridge...taxes ranged from 4500 to 9000. Once the assessment for our 1800 sq ft cape with teeny yard comes back down to where it should be, the taxes will be about 6000 a year.

Remember you also get a reduction to your school tax (called STAR) for your primary residence. That reduces your assessed value by 30K.

Great posts everyone. You guys are awesome. I'm sure the snowfall is not that bad compared to other places. My wife is originally from Cleveland..lol. What about house and car insurance. We get killed down here in South Florida. For two cars, me and my wife pay close to 3,000 a year. My uncle who lives in Floral Park says that it's way cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island