Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times

Advertisements

OK I am mad...no correction, I am livid!
The MTA wants to raise our fare 40%, reduce service, and eliminate bus routes, like the N87 between Hicksville and Jones Beach, the N51 between Merrick and Roosevelt Field, and the N80 between Hicksville and Sunrise Mall. The buses here are ridiculous as it is. They run infrequently and are packed. And it seems my Senator Carl Marcellino and Assemblyman Rob Walker could care less, as they still have not returned my phone calls and letters.
Look at these pictures and tell me we dont get treated worse than cattle!

The N87 Hicksville - Jones Beach, all these people will not have a bus next summer!

Tell me this isn't dangerous overcrowding!

The N88 Freeport bus is just as crowded. Where do they expect all the N87 people to ride....on the roof?

And then there's the daily stuff I deal with on the N22, like buses packed after picking up at the 1st stop in Hicksville, LIRR sta. I guess all the ppl along W.John will just have to wait 30 minutes for the next bus...

And how can we leave out all those breakdowns?

So I'm sorry if I dont have much sympathy for people who can afford to drive into the city, or people who drive huge SUV's. If they afforded to keep their SUV's when gas was at $4 a gallon, they can afford an increase in the gas tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
Why would they lose the Jones Beach routes? They're pretty much packed on every run....I watch an empty bus run up and down Wantagh Avenue every single day. It seems like, if anything, people use the buses primarily to get to the malls and the beach, seems stupid to cut back service on those routes.

I just gassed up my huge 1980s SUV for the snow tomorrow, DIE OZONE LAYER, DIE!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
The bus service on LI is a joke. The buses run *maybe* once an hour, the connections don't meet up --- for example, you take your bus to point "A" and it drops you at 8am, you have to transfer to another bus.... unfortunately, your connecting bus leaves that location at 7:50am and you have to wait another 45 minutes for the next bus..... AB-FREAKING-SURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you complain to the bus companies, they tell you there isn't enough ridership to justify more frequent buses. I tell them, if you were more reliable and had more frequent buses, you would have more ridership. A classic "Catch-22" situation.

I think Nassau bus has a lot more ridership than Suffolk but it's still a shame they can't get it together and get some REAL mass transit out here. I hate driving and would LOVE to be able to take the bus to work!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
OK I am mad...no correction, I am livid!
The MTA wants to raise our fare 40%, reduce service, and eliminate bus routes, like the N87 between Hicksville and Jones Beach, the N51 between Merrick and Roosevelt Field, and the N80 between Hicksville and Sunrise Mall. The buses here are ridiculous as it is. They run infrequently and are packed. And it seems my Senator Carl Marcellino and Assemblyman Rob Walker could care less, as they still have not returned my phone calls and letters.
Look at these pictures and tell me we dont get treated worse than cattle!

The N87 Hicksville - Jones Beach, all these people will not have a bus next summer!

Tell me this isn't dangerous overcrowding!

The N88 Freeport bus is just as crowded. Where do they expect all the N87 people to ride....on the roof?

And then there's the daily stuff I deal with on the N22, like buses packed after picking up at the 1st stop in Hicksville, LIRR sta. I guess all the ppl along W.John will just have to wait 30 minutes for the next bus...

And how can we leave out all those breakdowns?

So I'm sorry if I dont have much sympathy for people who can afford to drive into the city, or people who drive huge SUV's. If they afforded to keep their SUV's when gas was at $4 a gallon, they can afford an increase in the gas tax!

Robert Moses says youre not welcome here witout a car.

THe MTA is a big dumb ape.

crooks

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 AM

44 posts, read 150,829 times
Apparently not, when they mentioned the possible service cuts on News 12, they mentioned what was in store for the LIRR, and then basically said "oh yeah, there are service cuts for LIB as well" and went to the next story. where can I get a list of their planned service reductions for LIB?

And, I'm sorry but the N22 in that pic is not what I call packed. I rode the N6 every day, and it gets much more "packed" than that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
Apparently not, when they mentioned the possible service cuts on News 12, they mentioned what was in store for the LIRR, and then basically said "oh yeah, there are service cuts for LIB as well" and went to the next story. where can I get a list of their planned service reductions for LIB?

And, I'm sorry but the N22 in that pic is not what I call packed. I rode the N6 every day, and it gets much more "packed" than that.

You wanna really cry...try the Suffolk busses.

They just dont get it..Long Island isnt suburban in density anymore.

Brookhaven desperately needs a hub and spoke intermodal bus/rail to connect to Mineola/NYC.

crooks

Old 12-19-2008, 10:25 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
My daughter who is disabled rides the buses and relies upon them for transportantion. I hope there are not too many cut backs. I wonder why Nassau buses are part of the MTA and Suffolk's are not. I remember reading the reason once, but I can not recall if it made sense or not .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-19-2008, 01:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
Many of the Suffolk Bus routes are owned by independent companies but run under the "umbrella" of Suffolk Bus..... a complicated situation since Suffolk Bus can't really control what they do or don't do.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You wanna really cry...try the Suffolk busses.

They just dont get it..Long Island isnt suburban in density anymore.

Brookhaven desperately needs a hub and spoke intermodal bus/rail to connect to Mineola/NYC.

crooks

At least for the most part, Suffolk's buses aren't jam packed and arrive on time, Nassau is much less reliable IMO.
Suffolk is still suburban for the most part, Nassau is urban with a suburban transit system, hence why Nassau is such a mess!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
At least for the most part, Suffolk's buses aren't jam packed and arrive on time, Nassau is much less reliable IMO.
Suffolk is still suburban for the most part, Nassau is urban with a suburban transit system, hence why Nassau is such a mess!
..but woefully scant.

we agree on the rest.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island