Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Someone stolen a garden piggy with wings from my front yard, wasn't expensive, but I loved it so! Imagine something of value to be taken.
It's sad but even though I've always lived in very nice neighborhoods with very nice people, I just never had enough confidence to put anything I really would be upset at losing, into the front yard. There was always that "what if someone took it" lurking in the back of my mind.

I'll never forget going to a good friend's house several years ago for Xmas dinner and admiring the lighted deer decorations in her front yard. She told us her son (early 20s, not living at home anymore) had bought them for her as an early gift. On the way out, my nephew who'd come over to her house with me, told me that her son told him on the q.t. (after my nephew had said he thought the deer were cool looking) that he'd stolen them from a house a few miles away. He'd passed by there one night and liked them, so the next night he came back at 1 or 2 am, unplugged the deer, tossed them into his truck, and surprised his mom with a 'gift' the next day. I never could bring myself to tell my friend where her gift really came from; she was so obviously happy and touched over her son having been "so sweet and thoughtful".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
The only chimes I like and are outside are tuned chimes. Each pipe is tuned to a predetermined note such that the combination is actually very melodic when it moves. It wasn't cheap either...was a present from hubby when we got married and visited Yosemite.

Otherwise, the cheap tinny ones with random sounds will drive me nuts too.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Have you asked your neighbors about how they feel about the chimes? Maybe if more than one person "gently" complains then the folks that own them will be more inclined to take them down.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
Exclamation Don't like wind chimes

Wind chimes annoy people and startle wildlife. They are truely one of mans most useless inventions.Unless of course you hate your neighbors and are trying to disturb the peace. If that is your goal, it doesn't get much easier than hanging up a few large sets of the chimes in a windy location. YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL HATE YOUR GUTS! Noise pollution, light pollution, pollution, pollution, pollution.] Give a hoot, don't pollute.

Last edited by Windchimehater; 01-31-2009 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Happy faces came out as html text.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
I agree with you about the large loud ones but you have to admit there are many small chimes that are barely audible from more than 50 feet away. As for scaring away wildlife, it doesn't faze any of the birds, squirrels, or foxes that I regularly see within several feet of the small chimes I put in the yard during the warm months. Mine also literally cannot be heard at all, even on the windiest days, if you're more than 50 ft away.

As for nuisance noise, IMO nothing is worse than a barking dog or any kind of gas-powered lawn maintenance equipment (mower, string trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer)!

Two years ago I created a DVD tour of my garden for friends who live in other countries. I went out with my video camera every week or so, from late March to the beginning of November. When I played back the resulting video I found that almost ALL the clips had some level of noise pollution from landscaping services (none of them mine, of course) as intrusive background noise! And hardly any clips were filmed on a weekend, either... almost all on a weekday.

By contrast, the only times any of my windchimes were audible at all was IF I happened to be filming within 10 feet of one of them AND if there was any wind. I think they "appeared" audibly in the resulting 90-minute DVD a grand total of twice.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I agree with you about the large loud ones but you have to admit there are many small chimes that are barely audible from more than 50 feet away. As for scaring away wildlife, it doesn't faze any of the birds, squirrels, or foxes that I regularly see within several feet of the small chimes I put in the yard during the warm months. Mine also literally cannot be heard at all, even on the windiest days, if you're more than 50 ft away.

As for nuisance noise, IMO nothing is worse than a barking dog or any kind of gas-powered lawn maintenance equipment (mower, string trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer)!

Two years ago I created a DVD tour of my garden for friends who live in other countries. I went out with my video camera every week or so, from late March to the beginning of November. When I played back the resulting video I found that almost ALL the clips had some level of noise pollution from landscaping services (none of them mine, of course) as intrusive background noise! And hardly any clips were filmed on a weekend, either... almost all on a weekday.

By contrast, the only times any of my windchimes were audible at all was IF I happened to be filming within 10 feet of one of them AND if there was any wind. I think they "appeared" audibly in the resulting 90-minute DVD a grand total of twice.
I TOTALLY agree. Wind chimes are much better noise to me than lawn equipment, screaming kids in the pool or the dog that's been barking for over an hour. Yeah, I'll take wind chimes anyday!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Angry I now offically hate windchimes!

I always thought that light tinkly sound was nice.
In my brand new home that we'd hoped to live happily in for the foreseeable future my life has become miserable.

I think I may just try and sell the place-yes it is that annoying and upsetting!

The people behind us have not a wind chime but a friggin cow bell
I've read alot of these comments-I do have double paned glass windows and a very high energy sealed home -It's still loud and clear. What if I'd like to conserve energy by leaving my windows open in the cool evening thereby requiring less cooling the next day? CAN'T Not if I plan on sleeping-even with the ear plugs I've taken to wearing. What if I'd like the window open in the family room while we watch TV? CAN"T

It's totally against the city code. But a call to the city(after a nice note and a pleading visit to said neighbors)and the city says I need to take them to civil court! Then why bother writing the codes if you have no plan to enforce them

The city which claims to be a great place to raise a family(without sleep apparently)is Cedar Park Texas.
So this is my "Welcome to Texas".

These jerks have 3 dead deer heads in the 1 room I saw, meaning gun lover-
I'm not going to risk my families safety getting into it with them.
I should have gone with the 1st instinct, sneak over and take it down.

I am going to go buy about 5 or 6 of the largest,loudest, most obnoxious chimes I can find-
I already have to close my windows. Let's see how "soothing" that sounds to them.

Last edited by lovemusichatechimesnow; 03-13-2009 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: to read better

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,993 times
People who hang a musical instrument (wind chime) in their yards are just plain rude.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,179 times
My neighboor had chimes and a fountain in their backyard. They use to live near the LIE and used them to drown out the noise.
Five years later they took them down after listening to the "silence" for a change.
I HATE them, go hang them inside your house if you need to hear "tinkle, tinkle" all day long.
Their good for BB gun practice, thats about it.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
I enjoy my windchimes, but they are close to my house and as far as I can tell, cannot be heard off my property. That's more than I can say for the screaming kids in the pool all summer or the guy with the great dane that's locked in the back yard to bark all night or the damn leaf blowers going all summer.

It's all about consideration for one's neighbors. IF someone could hear my chimes and asked me to take them down, I would.

Last edited by lialleycat; 03-18-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Bad spellers of the world untie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island