Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
If there is not a racist undertone to peoples problems with immigrants, tell me how do you recognize the "50 of 'em" loitering. Was it there distinct Irish features?
Moderator cut: racist remarks

The problem has been getting quite bad in Riverhead despite these signs for "Zero Tolerance Zone".
I dunno about you but if a group of people like that comes to your community wouldn't you be upset?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-10-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Everyone is a racist dammit. Blacks hate the whites, whites hate the blacks, whites hate the hispanics, hispanics hate the whites and blacks, chinese hate blacks, blacks hate chinese(but love their food), blacks hate the jews, the jews hate the blacks, middle easterners hate jews and anyone else that is not exactly like them, etc...

Maybe if we'd all be honest about hating each other we'd all get along better, we'd have a really good common denominator! we all hate each other. Woo hoo!

Where's my Nobel Peace Prize dammit! I just found the answer to world peace!

sarcasm mode: on/level 9

Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
This is getting insane. Illegal immigrants aren't the scapegoat for every single problem in our society. It seems like certain people want to turn every single thread into a debate on illegal immigration even when the topic at hand has virtually nothing to do with illegal immigration. Even if we had zero illegal immigrants we would still be in an economic crisis. The problems on the national level are a result have virtually nothing to do with the illegal immigration (tax cuts to millionaires, bad bank loans, hundreds of billions in wars, job outsourcing, greedy corporate execs) nor does the problems on the local level (Nassau's problems are a direct result of sales tax revenue dropping due to the current national economy). Is illegal immigration a problem? Yes, however to turn every single discussion into some blame the illegals bash fest when they have nothing to do with the problem being discussed is absurd and needs to stop.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM

So let's deport illegal immigrants and investment bankers! yeah!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So let's deport illegal immigrants and investment bankers! yeah!
Nah. Let's HANG investment bankers and redistribute their wealth to ourselves! Vive la French Revolution!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Karl for president!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Maybe if we'd all be honest about hating each other we'd all get along better, we'd have a really good common denominator! we all hate each other. Woo hoo!
Run for President on that platform!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM

love ya!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is getting insane. Illegal immigrants aren't the scapegoat for every single problem in our society. It seems like certain people want to turn every single thread into a debate on illegal immigration even when the topic at hand has virtually nothing to do with illegal immigration. Even if we had zero illegal immigrants we would still be in an economic crisis. The problems on the national level are a result have virtually nothing to do with the illegal immigration (tax cuts to millionaires, bad bank loans, hundreds of billions in wars, job outsourcing, greedy corporate execs) nor does the problems on the local level (Nassau's problems are a direct result of sales tax revenue dropping due to the current national economy). Is illegal immigration a problem? Yes, however to turn every single discussion into some blame the illegals bash fest when they have nothing to do with the problem being discussed is absurd and needs to stop.
I thought we were allowed to discuss all problems facing our economy. Perhaps you may not consider illegal immigration to be very important in the scheme of things, but nonetheless it is a problem for our economy and some of us would like to discuss it. I am sorry that it is not considered "PC."

Regarding being "PC," I think it is a misconception to assume that because a person is against illegal immigration, it automatically means they are prejudiced against people from Mexico, Central America, and South America. In my case, nothing can be further from the truth. If I had to choose who had the "best" illegal aliens, I would say the USA. At least our illegal aliens have something in common with us (Christianity) and are thus quite unlikely to turn themselves into human bombs, unlike what is currently slinking into European nations at an alarming rate from Muslim countries in the Middle East and Africa. Our illegal aliens rule compared to that nightmare!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
The LI and US economy is not in bad shape solely because of illegal immigration, but it isn't helping. When you have a pretty big chunk of the Mexican GDP coming from people working illegally in the US, that's IS a problem.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I thought we were allowed to discuss all problems facing our economy. Perhaps you may not consider illegal immigration to be very important in the scheme of things, but nonetheless it is a problem for our economy and some of us would like to discuss it. I am sorry that it is not considered "PC."

Regarding being "PC," I think it is a misconception to assume that because a person is against illegal immigration, it automatically means they are prejudiced against people from Mexico, Central America, and South America. In my case, nothing can be further from the truth. If I had to choose who had the "best" illegal aliens, I would say the USA. At least our illegal aliens have something in common with us (Christianity) and are thus quite unlikely to turn themselves into human bombs, unlike what is currently slinking into European nations at an alarming rate from Muslim countries in the Middle East and Africa. Our illegal aliens rule compared to that nightmare!
The issue I have is when illegal immigration become the ultimate scapegoat for all of our problems, when in fact its not. Our current economic problem is MUCH bigger than illegal immigration, the issues I mentioned above have had a much bigger impact on our current economic problems than illegal immigration has. Fact of the matter is even if we did not have a single illegal immigrant we would still be in the same economic mess we are.

Is it an issue? Yes. Can it be discussed? Yes Should every little discussion turn into its all the illegals fault? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island