Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:43 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

My parents first house was in Levittown and they moved after only a few years for many of these reasons. They couldn't afford the upgrade, and had to sign affidavits with the bank that my mom was an RN (meaning she could pretty much get a job at any time) to get the mortgage on a house in Huntington. But my dad, who grew up in Washington Heights, could not deal with the attitudes of most of their neighbors, and my mom, who is from New England, wasn't the type to coffee-klatch every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There are several stereotypes associated with Levittown. My parents, and other people on the North Shore had and still have these feelings. Many are true.

1. Working class

2. Very large families with 6-10 kids crammed into cape cod style houses.

3. Lot's of cops and firemen who held very conservative views and were very "pro war" during the Vietnam war area. They were known as "hard hats" at the time.

4. Anti-education - in the 70s a coalition of "concerned mothers" wanted certain books removed from the public library. Racy stuff like "To Kill a Mockingbird". So, closed minded would become another perceived negative attribute.

5. Racist. The developer of Levittown specified that all home owners would be Caucasian. Those ideas seem to have become entrenched in Levittowners. There are still few African American residents.

I am *not* saying that all of this is true of every resident of Levittown. However, this is the perception of many Long Islanders from more affluent areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

174 posts, read 124,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There are several stereotypes associated with Levittown. My parents, and other people on the North Shore had and still have these feelings. Many are true.

1. Working class

2. Very large families with 6-10 kids crammed into cape cod style houses.

3. Lot's of cops and firemen who held very conservative views and were very "pro war" during the Vietnam war area. They were known as "hard hats" at the time.

4. Anti-education - in the 70s a coalition of "concerned mothers" wanted certain books removed from the public library. Racy stuff like "To Kill a Mockingbird". So, closed minded would become another perceived negative attribute.

5. Racist. The developer of Levittown specified that all home owners would be Caucasian. Those ideas seem to have become entrenched in Levittowners. There are still few African American residents.

I am *not* saying that all of this is true of every resident of Levittown. However, this is the perception of many Long Islanders from more affluent areas.
Levittown has evolved. Now we just need your stereotyping to evolve. I didn't know working class was a negative, but okay. Having grown up there in the 70s and 80s, the largest family I recall had five kids and that was rare. Plus I don't think it was abnormal back then for large families to be living in a modest sized house. The book censorship case you speak of was in the Island Trees district and went to court because the vast amount of parents who fought against the book banning. Even though I was a Levittown student, we talked about this in various classes and most students and teachers were in disbelief it ever happened in our area. I certainly can't defend the racist exclusion practices when the town was created. My street had two African American families and one interracial household and I hadn't even known about the exclusions until I was an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island