Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 AM

8 posts, read 65,257 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information on LIRR parking in Port Washington and Garden City. I am looking at homes in these two towns and my fiance and I would both need to commute to NYC on weekdays. Mainly, the information I'm looking for:

1. Is LIRR parking in these two towns for residents only?
2. If yes, how much is the resident parking fee?
3. At what time in the morning does parking usually fill up? (most important question)

I currently live in Mineola, where I find the resident LIRR parking to be pretty decent. I can usually get in the resident parking garage for the 8:04am train and still find a few spots, and the resident parking pass is $55/year.

Also, any other information about these two towns (which sections are better, where to avoid, etc.) would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM

44 posts, read 252,632 times
I can answer for Port Washington. I lived and commuted from there for a while.

Here's the link to the parking costs: Town of North Hempstead, NY - P.W. Parking District

There is commuter parking. The lot adjacent to the train fills up early, by 6:00-6:30am I believe. The other lots (which are a couple blocks away in different directions) are pretty much full by 7:00-7:30am. After that, there are only time-limited metered spots in the Main Street area and 2-4 hour street parking in the residential areas surrounding the station.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 65,257 times
Thanks for the info on the LIRR parking in Port Washington. A little disappointed that it fills up that quickly. I don't mind parking at these other lots a few blocks away but it sounds like I might be out of luck if I get there at 7:30am. Maybe I'll find a place within walking distance to the station.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM

18 posts, read 119,677 times
Parking in GC is for residents only and a parking permit is $100 each year. The good news is that the permit is good at any of the four stations in garden City (Merillon Ave, Nassau Blvd, Garden City and Country Life Press stations). Of the four stations, Merillon is the only station that is full by 8:00 am and the garden city station is only rarely full by about 9:30 am. Nassau Blvd has a lot of empty spaces in the morning and Country Life Press is rarely full as well. The bottom line is that the permit is pricey, but you have lots of places to use it.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM

18 posts, read 119,677 times

Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardencityresident View Post
Parking in GC is for residents only and a parking permit is $100 each year. The good news is that the permit is good at any of the four stations in garden City (Merillon Ave, Nassau Blvd, Garden City and Country Life Press stations). Of the four stations, Merillon is the only station that is full by 8:00 am and the garden city station is only rarely full by about 9:30 am. Nassau Blvd has a lot of empty spaces in the morning and Country Life Press is rarely full as well. The bottom line is that the permit is pricey, but you have lots of places to use it.
I would suggest you look at the LIRR schedule to see how many trains actually stop at each of those secondary stations during rush hour (and off-hours).

Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM

11 posts, read 83,725 times
How about private parking in Port Washington? Does anybody know of places near the station where you can rent a spot? If so, how much do they charge? Thanks!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
I walk to the Nassau Blvd Station in the morning, and it is never full. That said, our train selection is very limited, plus the evening commute sucks. Essentially, the Hempstead line gets used as the local feeder line for every station along the way (Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, Hollis, Queens Blvd., Bellerose, Floral Park, Stewart Manor, etc.) It takes us 46-49 min to get home at night even though we live about 18 miles from the city.

The best solution is to take the Hempstead Line in the morning (much better than the overcrowded Main line train) and then the Main Line (Merillon Ave) at night (super fast) if you can do that. The problem is that you can't park and would have to walk using that route or be picked up.

GC is a fantastic place, but if commute is your biggest concern, then the Port Wash line is always going to be better.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Stewart Manor is also a Garden City RR station. Just an option if you are looking in the western section. You can also walk to parts of the western section (especially the Nassau Haven section) from the New Hyde Park station which is on the main line as well, it's the stop before Merrilon Avenue.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Twingles,

I think the people that live between Stewart Manor and the NHP stations probably have the best commute. They can take SM in the morning and have a quick express train with lots of seats. Then at night they can just take NHP train home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island