Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

did this person say where exactly their first foray onto LI took place?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
I can understand that people may ask areas with a synagogue, a church, or a mosque for that matter. One would want to be at close to those for practical reasons.
For a Torah observant Jew, an Orthodox synagogue within walking distance, as well as a kosher butcher and a kosher bakery in their, or an immediately adjoining, village or hamlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Still it is kind of funny for me to see someone claiming to be "liberal" and finding the previous neighborhood "too working class" and looking for a place "Jewish enough". And many people to go along with it for that matter.
My guess is that, like most Jews on Lawn Guyland, the OP is looking for a Jewish community that is not too Jewish.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I grew up in Smithtown. You can probably get a house in "good" condition there. It seems like most of the people I grew up with were either italian or jewish.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 AM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
If I were you, I'd make a couple of trips to the J in different area's or temples and see what you like about any of them.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Would you be open to live in an apartment?

In Great Neck there is a nice handful of apartments in your price range. You husband would love the commute, massive jewish communities of all ranges, & have access to top notch school district of Greck Neck.

Also you the LIRR is probably walking distance for you to go to Penn Station in about 30 min ride for your theaters nights

Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 9,943 times
Please allow me to explain. We lived in an area on Long Island where we were the ONLY Jews. If that weren't uncomfortable enough for us, we knew our neighbors were trying to figure out what "we were", asking probing questions around the holidays and telling us where they bought their X-mas decorations to gauge our level of interest. My husband and I promptly ran out and bought an electric menorah to display in our window for all to see, only to hear Christmas carolers explode with laughter as they approached our house.

When I say that we're liberal, we are. And that is why we certainly would not wish to live among such close-minded unwelcoming people again. "Jewish enough" simply means that there are enough Jews living in that community to feel comfortable living there. That is a legitimate issue. For you not to appreciate this, Seren77, says more about you than it possibly could about me.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tuesday View Post
Please allow me to explain. We lived in an area on Long Island where we were the ONLY Jews. If that weren't uncomfortable enough for us, we knew our neighbors were trying to figure out what "we were", asking probing questions around the holidays and telling us where they bought their X-mas decorations to gauge our level of interest. My husband and I promptly ran out and bought an electric menorah to display in our window for all to see, only to hear Christmas carolers explode with laughter as they approached our house.

When I say that we're liberal, we are. And that is why we certainly would not wish to live among such close-minded unwelcoming people again. "Jewish enough" simply means that there are enough Jews living in that community to feel comfortable living there. That is a legitimate issue. For you not to appreciate this, Seren77, says more about you than it possibly could about me.
where was this?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
We lived in an area on Long Island where we were the ONLY Jews.

Before moving into this area, did you check for the location of the nearest synagogue (any denomination)?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 AM

326 posts, read 429,951 times
Quote:

Well, I apologize to question your liberal views. Reading your story, I completely understand your feelings. As a fellow liberal, I am also pretty frustrated with working class people. That is what working class is all about. They are close-minded people. Anti-abortion, pro-Bush, hate theater...

I am happy you get some help from the forum. We liberals should help each other, so that we can all get out of the hood.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 9,943 times
I'd actually prefer not say where because my husband is afraid it will compromise our anonymity. I will say that it was a village on the border of Queens that was very insular and very, very homogeneous. Not only did we not meet another Jew, we never saw anyone one who wasn't white. If there was any diversity, and I'm sure some would claim differently, we never experienced it. We never saw anyone who appeared to be of African American, Asian, East Asian or Hispanic ancestry in that particular neighborhood. However, one town away was a slightly different story. (This would be where we saw the nearest synagogue.)

There is absolutely no doubt that we should have done more research, but we were in a pickle and it was the only rental we could find at the time that met our other requirements and we had to move for my husband to start working. We naively thought it wouldn't be an issue. Boy, were we wrong.

Isn't this the reason why this website and these forums exist? To help people make smart decisions about where they should live based on criterion that is most important to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island