Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM

17 posts, read 49,636 times

Advertisements

OK, I have been searching for about 3 months....I grew up in Queens, have a decent basic knowledge of Nassau/Suffolk, but BOY am I having a hard time finding a decent horse property in a decent nabe!

We can go up to $450K, and must have at least 1 acre.
Would prefer north shore Nassau, but price-wise that doesn't look doable
Willing to go out as far as exit 64, but would far prefer not to.

Already saw properties in N Great River, and some part of Islip - bleh. The area just looks kind of sad and run down.

Saw lower prices online for Middle Island, but heard it's a bad nabe?
Saw some great properties in Medford, but it's sooo far to Manhattan, where hubby has to commute.

Can anyone help?
Thanx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,932,382 times
At that price range, you will not be able to afford an acre in commuting distance to Manhattan... unless you think 4hrs a day commuting is a good idea.

Horse properties on LI cost north of $1M. Not that many areas are zoned for them in the built up parts.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Actually, there are lots of properties that fit our requirements and $ limits in N Great River, Islip, Bohemia, Middle Island, and Medford. While he wouldn't want to commute that far, lots of people do, including people I know.

I'm essentially looking for any information from any horse people or people acquainted with real estate that could help me figure out the best places to look.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Alexis - also, I've been told that almost every town on LI allows for horses, if your property is big enough. Does anyone know if that's true?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemiss View Post
Alexis - also, I've been told that almost every town on LI allows for horses, if your property is big enough. Does anyone know if that's true?
You have to find out what the zoning is within each different town. In the Town of Brookhaven, you can have horses if you are zoned HF Horse Farm Residence District.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanx Ohbee - do you know if the towns zone by lot size?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
geemiss, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

Villages control their own zoning regulations while hamlet zoning is governed by the town(s) the hamlet is located in.

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Wow, Walter, thank you for the comprehensive info!

I was always vaguely aware that something complicated and not readily apparent was going with LI towns/villages etc, because of the confusing signage one sees while driving around!

The address link will be very helpful.

Thanx again!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemiss View Post
OK, I have been searching for about 3 months....I grew up in Queens, have a decent basic knowledge of Nassau/Suffolk, but BOY am I having a hard time finding a decent horse property in a decent nabe!

We can go up to $450K, and must have at least 1 acre.
Would prefer north shore Nassau, but price-wise that doesn't look doable
Willing to go out as far as exit 64, but would far prefer not to.

Already saw properties in N Great River, and some part of Islip - bleh. The area just looks kind of sad and run down.

Saw lower prices online for Middle Island, but heard it's a bad nabe?
Saw some great properties in Medford, but it's sooo far to Manhattan, where hubby has to commute.

Can anyone help?
Thanx!!
Ridge NY

20 Min to Ronkonkoma RR.

Crooks

Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanx Crooks! I will do a search right now

20 min by car to Ronk? Is that the closest station, or the one with the most trains? (I just found out Medford only has ONE morning train to NYC!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island