Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 AM

172 posts, read 719,032 times

Advertisements

been looking around for a home in east meadow and Hicksville and seem to come across alot of listings for north Hicksville as "Desirable" area. what make is so much more "Desirable" than other parts of Hicksville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 AM

119 posts, read 452,063 times
North Hicksville is not as "run down" as other parts of Hicksville... When I say that, means houses are real nice, alot of stores, right by a mall, the train station..Hence "Desirable". There are some parts of Hicksville that are not really attractive..

Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 AM

which part of Hicksville should i be staying away from during my search for a new home?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
which part of Hicksville should i be staying away from during my search for a new home?
Areas with a high rate of rentals can be considered less desirable (as a Realtor I have to be careful here...)
The assumption here is that pride of ownership can be lacking.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville

Quote:

Among several threads about Hicksville, here's one http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...e-yay-nay.html that you might find of some interest.

For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville:

Hicksville is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east-central part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Syosset; on the east by the Hamlet of Plainview and the Hamlet of Bethpage; on the south by the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead/North Hempstead town line).

The Hamlet of Hicksville has a different border than does the "Hicksville, NY 11801" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and a place can be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and have other than a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address): places with a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hicksville are in the Hamlet of Jericho; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hicksville that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Jericho, NY 11753" and "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-09-2008, 07:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
been looking around for a home in east meadow and Hicksville and seem to come across alot of listings for north Hicksville as "Desirable" area. what make is so much more "Desirable" than other parts of Hicksville?
South Hicksville has some decent neighborhoods also. The area south of Hicksville HS west of Jerusalem Ave. is all desirable to me.
There are many Levitt homes in Hicksville (south of Old Country Rd west of Newbridge, and west of Jerusalem Ave. north of Spindle .. all good .
Also check out the homes around Field Avenue.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Hicksville has some nice areas, but I would stay away from the vicinity of the LIRR station, W.John street, and Broadway as there are illegals around there (lots of them actually).
The Spindle section (off Jerusalem ave) is actually my favorite part of Hicksville because it's more like Levittown.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
North Hicksville is the area bordering Jericho. My sister lives there. It is a very nice neighborhood with really nice houses (mostly splits). Most of the people there send their kids to Catholic school. They enjoy taxes that are quite low, avoid Hicksville's schools, and still have a nice area near the LIRR.

It's quite a hidden gem in LI if you can afford to send your kids to Catholic School.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

why avoid the schools there? i have read that they are pretty good. can you explain more on this. thanks!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 PM

119 posts, read 452,063 times
I dont know why azzurrony said to avoid the schools, my friends had no problem with the schools there. The only thing that you may want to watch for is the 'problem kids' as said before, some parts of hicksville are not the greatest which reflect on the students who live in those areas... but as far as education wise, its a good school district. I have not heard about any complaints from the hicksville schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island