Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 AM

10 posts, read 19,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyugrad11 View Post
Exactly! That poor office could have taken a bullet in order to save the duck!!

Wow, the ignorance of you people is astounding. Cops don't just deal with crime in progress, the deterrence of crime where they do most of the work.

So the main issue here though is high taxes right? I mean if the cops were making their current pay but the property taxes were lower would that be OK? I mean because if that's the case how come no one complains about the school system and the teachers? Truth is that's where most of you property taxes are going right? Maybe we should cut their pay, close schools and cancel school programs. Would that be OK with everyone?

School Taxes

School taxes represent the largest portion of the overall property tax burden (61 percent outside of New
York City) and, as noted above, have generally been increasing more rapidly than municipal property taxes
(counties, cities, towns and villages). The reasons for this are twofold. First, schools consume more public
resources than other types of
local government, accounting
for 48 percent of total local
government expenditures in
2004, and demands upon public
education have been escalating.
Second, property taxes are
the only significant source of
local revenue for most school
districts. A relatively small
number of districts receive sales
tax distributions or impose a
consumer utility tax, and of
course, New York City is an
exception – being funded by
a municipal tax base which
includes personal income, sales
and other taxes.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstrider View Post
Wow, the ignorance of you people is astounding. Cops don't just deal with crime in progress, the deterrence of crime where they do most of the work.

So the main issue here though is high taxes right? I mean if the cops were making their current pay but the property taxes were lower would that be OK? I mean because if that's the case how come no one complains about the school system and the teachers? Truth is that's where most of you property taxes are going right? Maybe we should cut their pay, close schools and cancel school programs. Would that be OK with everyone?

School Taxes
School taxes represent the largest portion of the overall property tax burden (61 percent outside of New
York City) and, as noted above, have generally been increasing more rapidly than municipal property taxes
(counties, cities, towns and villages). The reasons for this are twofold. First, schools consume more public
and other taxes.
No, just cut teacher comp, leave the schools and programs open.

Are Long Island teachers overpaid?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 AM

80 posts, read 363,231 times
I can deal with cops on LI making 100K a year. The part that bothers me is that they can retire after 20 years on a pension PAID FOR BY THE TAXPAYER! SO you can take a 22 year old kid with an associates degree and by the time he is 42 can retire! These guys already have medical/dental for life, unlimited sick days, and a 3 on 4 off schedule! Its time to let them finance their own retirement like the rest of the working world. Offer them a generous 401k with a 100 percent match on the first 15 percent of their salary contributed! Do the same for the teachers. This will save the taxpayer hundreds of millions of dollars while still being fair and equitable. Nobody deserves to retire in their mid 40s on the taxpayers dime!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 19,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos Dad View Post
Nobody deserves to retire in their mid 40s on the taxpayers dime!
No one except the people brave enough to put their lives on the line everyday for you and Nico you meant right?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:34 AM

23 posts, read 30,951 times
Quote:
No one except the people brave enough to put their lives on the line everyday for you and Nico you meant right?
Look, if we went by your logic in compensating civil servants, we'd be flat broke and there'd be no jobs around. We can't pay civil servants based on the emotional rationale that the police protect us. So do firefighters.. so do corrections officers (and our armed forces)... but neither group is paid anywhere near the NCPD and SCPD. Even the NYPD, despite finally getting a nice pay increase does not come close to the total compensation given to the NCPD and SCPD. You don't pay jobs based on their value to society. If so, then school bus drivers who are responsible for our kids should be paid more than $15 an hour. Jobs are paid based on the skill set necessary to perform the job adequately. Police work, while valuable to society and necessary, does not require an advanced skill set that many people do not possess. Therefore, the total compensation should not be nearly as high as what it is.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 15,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyugrad11 View Post
school bus drivers who are responsible for our kids should be paid more than $15 an hour.

Yep! Anyone that has a job to keep my children safe and healthy deserve to make good money. Your personal greed just shows your ignorance.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:11 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry but did you mean cops outside long island don't do that ?.... jeez talk about complacency !!

Don't whine about cop salaries guys.... if you want to brag about living in a zone with less crime, you better pay top $$$ to the people who make it safe for you.... different places need different $$$ to give you that feeling.... this also tells you more about the nature of people living around you. Its a price of safety.
I don't have a problem with paying top $$$ to everyone who takes care of your kids and are responsible for their safety and yours.... I'm saying pay everyone top $$$ and pensions and medical benefits.... lets see how many can make a living on long island then.... if we are at it, lets take everyone down with us....

Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 AM

26 posts, read 58,383 times
I gladly pay high salaries for police to risk their lives so my family and I don't have to. Why shouldn't a policeman's life skills equate to a high level manager's in salary? These men and women in blue put themselves in danger to protect others and that is a greater sacrifice than most people make every day. If you want to attract the most well qualified people in these jobs then you have to pay to get them.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirll View Post
I gladly pay high salaries for police to risk their lives so my family and I don't have to. Why shouldn't a policeman's life skills equate to a high level manager's in salary? These men and women in blue put themselves in danger to protect others and that is a greater sacrifice than most people make every day. If you want to attract the most well qualified people in these jobs then you have to pay to get them.
Cap it at 90k and you would get the same applicant pool. Again, if you say the police pay might be a bit out of line, you are a jerk who does not value a police officers life, which is not what anybody is saying...just that the compensation structure and benefits costs have not adjusted as these expenses have changed. It is still a public service union, but of course if anybody brings up this issue they do not like cops, appreciate them, and want to see crime rise to unseen levels since we will of course ONLY get former felons to apply for this job if we were to move the retirement service to 25 years in, or 30, like other unions. That is ridiculous...

Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:

School Taxes
and other taxes.
They complain all the time, and the cop defenders tend to be some of the biggest complainers on this board. Newsflash cop lovers ("men and women in blue"..who uses this term other than cop relatives and PBA hacks?)...the PD infrastructure is about one tenth the size of the school system, folks. Yet it doesn't cost 1/10th as much in your tax bill. Cops are much, much more expensive per capita than teachers. Factor in all the traffic tickets, and it's off the chart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island