Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM

60 posts, read 58,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
i know experienced engineers/accountants with high levels of education that are making less then 3 figures and in the office 6 days a week, 10 hours/day. I know health professionals with high levels of education that have to take on 2nd jobs in order to afford their homes.

The fact of the matter is that it is not in America's best interest to apply free market values to the working class and professionals, but not to CEOs. We are protecting businesses and the small percentage of high earners and attacking people trying to earn honest livings and support their families, by helping the community (teachers/police officers)
Free market values are applied to CEO's. How many CEO's out there make the crazy amounts of money?? It isn't that many. Cops should not be compared to CEO's either. A cop is a law enforcement agent, not some brilliant thinker leading an organization with hundreds of thousands of employees.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,151,373 times
Quote:
A cop is a law enforcement agent, not some brilliant thinker leading an organization with hundreds of thousands of employees.
The vast majority of CEOs aren't brilliant thinkers either and have less value than a cop directing traffic.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The vast majority of CEOs aren't brilliant thinkers either and have less value than a cop directing traffic.
Maybe I'll agree with you, but if that is the case why aren't all the brilliant minds on this board earning the CEO salaries instead of making posts about how incompetent they are?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
But the private sector, where the majority of individuals work, has had to adjust to healthcare costs for example, and in the case of some unions many feel there has been little if any giveback. Regardless of the economy there should always be a proactive look at concessions and rewards if you are conducting your fiduciary responsibility as a public service union. You can stomp your feet and ignore that reality, and then bankruptcy, even in local goverment, will force your hand. See the UAW...

My biggest beef is getting paid out in any union (not sure what SCPD does) for UNUSED SICK DAYS!!!! If you are sick, take the day, if you are not, you are supposed to be at work. It should not be a reward at retirement. It is a complete abuse of the benefit. Vacation days are paid time accrued, sick days are not and were never intended to be...and for those that argue that "well I dragged myself in x number of days", well that was your choice not to stay home. That could be the HR guy in me coming out...
Last I checked, SCPD got paid out 100% on their sick time, which means a giant nugget for most of the cops. I know that teachers at my wifes school get paid out a tiny fraction of their unused sick time...a concession by the union..it used to be 100% also but that changed years ago.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
Quote:
Well, that's very populist of you to say, but I'd have to say that the CEO's I've dealt with..guys running mid-sized companies on LI...are in general pretty sharp and highly educated.

Last edited by dman72; 04-28-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,450 times
PLEASE!! Dedicate some time and educate yourself. Take a deep look at the life style these men and women adapt to.Have you ever been shot at,had a knife waived at you ? how much is it worth ?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvtanner4787w View Post
PLEASE!! Dedicate some time and educate yourself. Take a deep look at the life style these men and women adapt to.Have you ever been shot at,had a knife waived at you ? how much is it worth ?
The cops aren't cops out of the generousity of their own heart. They signed up for that job and the duties it entails. There are tradeoffs to choosing many different jobs. Teachers have to pay for the cost of 5 years of education. Sanitation engineers must work in filth all day. That is the nature of the jobs. What dictates how much a position should be paid is the minimum dollar amount a qualified person would take to perform the duties. Those of us who feel LI cops are too highly paid feel that minimum amount is significantly lower than the total compensation cops receive today.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times
Quote:
yet they somehow got themselves into positions that pay them millions. they may not be brilliant thinkers but that makes them pretty damn smart in my book...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
yet they somehow got themselves into positions that pay them millions. they may not be brilliant thinkers but that makes them pretty damn smart in my book...
Bernie Madoff is a great CEO in my book! Very smart!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Bernie Madoff is a great CEO in my book! Very smart!
He may be a thief and a lousy human being but it takes a certain level of smarts to pull off a scam that huge for that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island