Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Who??????????????????????

Croooooooooooooks
Me...you know... Yankees/Jets/Islanders?

And to reply to the thread....

Farmingdale =

Not perfect by any means, but pretty good in most ways.

To the original poster, "anything and everything" would take me way too long to write, and would bore you anyway. I do have a number of posts on the board about Farmingdale that gives my opinion pretty clearly, however if you have some specific questions about different neighborhoods or things to do, or just about anything else about the area, please feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsav1 View Post
i've also heard of problems with illegal day laborers in farmingdale, is this true? i have been reading about it in posts from 2007. i have also heard from a family member that it is better now.
Not nearly as bad as it used to be. The Village of Farmingdale has taken a number of measures over the years to reduce the problem and has had success. As a result the activity in the Village has been reduced dramatically in the past few years.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsav1 View Post
i've also heard of problems with illegal day laborers in farmingdale, is this true? i have been reading about it in posts from 2007. i have also heard from a family member that it is better now.
I actually live in the area of Farmingdale where the day laborers are. My husband and I moved to Farmingdale 4 years ago and I must commend the village for taking so much action. There was a huge run down apartment by my home which illegal immigrants were living in and Fairfield Properties purchased the building and fixed it up VERY nicely and they are pricey apartments with granite, etc. They made the area look 100x better than when I first moved to the area. Also, there used to be a boarded up building on the same street and another management company turned it into luxury rentals. It's like night and day from when we moved to the area. Although, I cannot deny that there are still day laborers in the area...BUT there are a lot less than there used to be. I know the Village Mayor is really trying to get this under control. For the most part, the area isn't dangerous at all. It's very close to the town (Main Street) which has lots of nice restaurants and shopping. I recommend Farmingdale in general but I'm not one for the schools if you have children. Good luck in whatever it is you decide. If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer for you, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I recommend Farmingdale in general but I'm not one for the schools if you have children.
Why an issue with the schools?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Why an issue with the schools?
I heard the schools there were fairly good ...no?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I do not have kids in the district and if I did, it's a personal choice, I would not send them to this district. Actually, I heard the HS is becoming bad. I've heard that from kids who graduated there in the early 1990's and also have children in the district now. As far as the elementary schools, I believe, Woodward Parkway and the one that is located in North Massapequa are the best. I belong to Northside Elementary and while it's an okay school, it's not the best or worst in the district. Saltzman is the worst elementary school. I've been researching the scores a lot lately and Farmingdale is a mediocre school (not like Wyandanch or Amityville). I am looking more for myself a school district like Commack, Bethpage or Smithtown Schools. Just a personal decision. I apologize if I upset or offended anyone on this site.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times
Quote:
One of the elementary schools has pretty low scores, I don't live there so I can't offer more than that.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onrway2clt View Post
One of the elementary schools has pretty low scores, I don't live there so I can't offer more than that.
That's Salzman Elementary...

Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I do not have kids in the district and if I did, it's a personal choice, I would not send them to this district. Actually, I heard the HS is becoming bad. I've heard that from kids who graduated there in the early 1990's and also have children in the district now. As far as the elementary schools, I believe, Woodward Parkway and the one that is located in North Massapequa are the best. I belong to Northside Elementary and while it's an okay school, it's not the best or worst in the district. Saltzman is the worst elementary school. I've been researching the scores a lot lately and Farmingdale is a mediocre school (not like Wyandanch or Amityville). I am looking more for myself a school district like Commack, Bethpage or Smithtown Schools. Just a personal decision. I apologize if I upset or offended anyone on this site.
There is nothing wrong with personal choice, I don't know too much about Smithtown, but Bethpage and Commack both seem to be fine districts. IMO I also think that first hand experience is usually better than hearsay when it comes to what is actually going on. I do have kids in the F'dale district, one in the MS and one in the HS. I have no reservations of having two kids in the HS which will be the case next year.

As far as hearing comments from students who've graduated in the early 1990's, I find it unlikely that they actually have kids in the HS to judge this on. They may have kids in the district elementary and middle schools, and most likely those kids hear all sorts of "evil and horrible" things that go on at the HS. I heard that stuff too when my kids were both still in elementary and middle. Oh yeah, all sorts of stuff...gangs, riots, drugs, dogs and cats living together...you name it. Truth of it is, it's about the same as any other HS on Long Island when it comes to that stuff. If someone thinks that higher test scores relate to lower drug usage and less stupidity then they are being incredibly naive. Has the school changed since the 1990's, sure has, haven't we all? I sure have a few more pounds and a few less hairs on my head than those days, so today must really stink!

The MS is also plagued with many of these rumors, and trust me, when my oldest first started MS I remember some parents expressing actual fear about having their kids having to go to the MS. They were convinced that there were frequently riots and violence and such. That fear dissapeared rather quickly when they and their kids saw that is was unfounded (and a bit ridiculous). If you live near the old Secotogue Apts., then you also live very close to the MS, and I seriously doubt you've seen any riots over there lately.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that there are no bad kids in Farmingdale. There most certainly are, just as there is in every school in Long Island. Teenagers in general are nuts, and by nature will do some bad things. This does not change because of physical address, nor does a higher school "score" prevent it from happening.

Facts about Farmingdale schools -
It is a fairly large district and the student population does cut across the socio economic spectrum to a much greater degree than some of it's neighbors. This unquestionably contributes to some of the variance in elementary school "scores" across the district, such as you noted at Saltzman. The district elementaries feed into one large MS and ultimately to one large HS.

Obviously the score variances will merge into one set of "scores" in the MS and HS thus "diluting" the scores in the MS & HS. Unless of course one chooses to believe strictly in the scores, and then that means that all those smart kids from Woodward and Albany get stupid as they get older and enter the "weaker scoring school".

Farmingdale HS offers as many Honors & AP courses as most of the "top districts", and more than many others. A student in F'dale has every opportunity to excel if they wish to take it. Farmingdale regularly sends kid to the top universities all over the country. Farmingdale is not a detriment in any way to the college application process, in fact it's quite the opposite due to the varied and extensive programs offered. Farmingdale has tons of clubs and scholastic societies for students to be involved with. Also, Farmingdale Athletic programs are very well regarded, particulalry in football and lacrosse.

Farmingdale HS is not lilly white and Farmingdale is not the richest area. Many see this as a detriment, I however do not. In many ways I see it as a way for the kids to avoid being trapped in a "plastic bubble" of an existence that I think is so common in some of the so called "superior schools".

Whether my children attend Jericho or Farmingdale is not going to make or break them in life. If my children are below average students and barely make it through HS with a 67 GPA, then they will be off to Nassau Community or hoping to find a job, regardless of what school is on their diploma. If they are top level students this doesn't really change. Oh sure, now we're looking at Harvard or MIT for college (or whatever can be afforded), but it still doen't matter if their diploma says F'dale or Jericho.

IMO, where there is a difference is that the kids from Farmingdale will know some Italian Americans, some Irish Americans, some African Americans, some Latinos, Jewish, Muslim and Christian, and so on, from more that just television and text books. They will have met them, spoken to them, befriended them, worked on projects with them, maybe even learned how to identify some bad people. I think this offers some real world lessons that the "top districts" can't measure up with.

Then again we can all send our kids to one of the better parochial schools in the region and end up with Swine Flu...that's another whole bag of fish...or pig, as the cas may be.

Please return to regular posting now.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,608 times
Default life long Farmingdale resident

I graduated in '93 and now my kids are in the district - it's fine. You cannot judge a school by it's scores. I went to East Memorial when Salzman was the principal. Salzman has and continues to take a good chunk of the kids who are not on par with the English language, thereby resulting in lower test scores. Doesn't mean the teachers are any better or worse (actually think they're a bit better because they're dealing with more stuff). I graduated high school with 30 college credits (mix of CW post credits gained through high school and ap courses) and was able to cut one full year off of college. There is an excellent education to be had if one wants it. I work with millionaires who have kids in the best testing school districts on LI (jericho, manhasset, great neck, syosset, etc.) and the reason the test scores are all high (and they will readily admit this) is because they pour thousands of dollars every year into private tutors. Talk to the pta at Jericho and you will get the "real" story. My mom choose Farmingdale many years ago because my brother is mixed race and Farmingdale is probably one of the most integrated schools on Long Island. It's mostly white but with a nice percentage of others - asian, black, hispanic, etc. My one warning about Farmingdale schools is that you need to like sports. Sports is really big at the high school and the teams excel in many different sports, both male and female (Farmingdale was one of the first schools with a female lacrosse team). The school does revolve around the sport teams.

The immigrant issue is a non-issue and having the US golf open come 7 years ago and this year has helped tremendously with the upkeep of Main Street. There was and is a hispanic portion of Farmingdale and it seems to me there is one in every town on LI now. I've been safe walking down Main Street for 25 years. The biggest issue is taxes. We just sold our home as we were in the Suffolk part of Farmingdale/Town of Babylon. Our taxes were over 14K per year. Post whatever else you heard was bad and I'll gladly help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island